I'm about half way through tweaking the electrics.  Not had much time lately, as work ramps up in October and enthusiasm diminishes as the daylight hours shorten.

20211016_163426.jpg.2ea769faece73d977b3e6d872b893b35.jpg

Everything seems to work ok, apart from one turnout which is still being a nuisance.  A remedy is in hand, I just CBA to do it at the moment.

50 1480 got a quick run out to test the new electrical gadget

20211016_170838.jpg.e2eeba15861fddfd2c481eaef328a14d.jpg

• Like 8

First time I've seen a Hex-juicer 'in action'. :good: Certainly simplifies the wiring. I used Tam Valley mono-juicers myself, as 1) my layout only has 5 switches, not 6, and 2) they are rather spread out around the layout, and Tam Valley warn against having wiring that is too long between juicer & frog (they do say what length but I can't recall what it is offhand!!)

• Like 1

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying the new layout, the steamers look heavy and solid works of art.

I find that most of my running is diesel as these are the smoothest runners in the garage. I have a Bachmann 24 from years ago which runs faultlessly even on dirty track. A Bachmann 20 (early dcc fitted) never disappoints, despite falling off the layout . The Hornby steam is an apple green N1 which is very temperamental and geared for 150 mph (mostly useless). The only reliable steam is a Bachmann analogue N class in Southern dull green which ploughs on and rarely hesitates. I have a Bachmann V1/3 but it is rather light and not as good. 

The only Hornby I've had that has worked as well as the superb (and cheap) Trix locos in my odd collection is a blue 08 shunter. 

Heljan locos seem to start well but run progressively poorly with time (is this the pick-ups and wheels?). I've a Mainline N1 that runs better than its Hornby upgraded version. 

When I was 13 I was frustrated at having to push Hornby locos at every session. My uncle was exasperated and gave me some money to buy a Fleischmann diesel - it was perfect and I went German.

I saw Bachmann's stuff and that got me back into modelling ten years ago. I wouldn't buy anything by Hornby except rolling stock after my experiences with their steam and diesels (except the 08)

I've tried US recently on a budget of £30 per loco. Two Bachmann GP's with hoods glide around the track at scale speeds, totally reliably. I was very impressed. 

Dapol was a series of returns to find something that worked.

In what other hobby do you pay £140 or more for something that is faulty?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally installed the final six frog wires this afternoon and extended the curve around to the other side of the shed towards the 'it'll be done when it's done' staging yard.

In the meantime, to make up for the lack of visual progress...

20211027_162357.jpg.49dcaf67fd90fdf410fe6ab27390ee90.jpg

20211027_175250.jpg.c6bda0f0b2965d213e67e951580b5fbf.jpg

Some shiny new stock has arrived for the locals. Pity the 50 is not push pull fitted.  The 65 is, but not yet DCC chipped.

• Like 7

Hi Dr G-F,

Glad to see you’re making good progress.

Knowing German railways, there’s bound to have been instances of a BR50 on Silverfish - pulling or pushing!

I take it that your BR65 is a Fleischmann model?

If so, it should have a 6 pin decoder socket. Don’t bother with the hugely expensive own brand decoder as they’re carp. Go for a Digitrax DZ126 or DZ127 or whichever version they are on now. This is an N gauge decoder officially but has plenty of grunt to deal with the H0 scale mechanism and train. I have most of my Fleischmann 6 pin socket fleet so fitted and they’re brilliant.

Of course, if it’s not fitted with a socket, different story and if it’s the Trix version - lucky you!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good ... keep going, keep going ...

Am a bit hesitant posting pix in others' threads however, thought you might appreciate this (will remove if offended).

DSC02004.JPG.49d447bd7a06152554434180b8463e82.JPG

In case you missed it (ha!), our GMRC layouts had a recent outing at the Gaydon (British Motor Museum) show recently. I found myself faced with a motive power / stock crisis(!) in terms of 'authentic' Germanic stock; fortunately, a nearby trader had a stash of old forrin' stuff for sale so I selected this Jouef Class 44 of '70s vintage (I suspect). Rather reminded me of how you're reviving locos of a similar(?) vintage for your project.

DSC02006_LR.jpg.104ce971a03531297f2f796f5a83040c.jpg

Anyhow, despite only picking up off the front bogie of the tender (the rear one being the drive), and being a bit noisy (not so noticeable in the hubbub of a show), it plodded round for the weekend without any real problems. I shall now strip it down more thoroughly and try and figure out a way of adding further pickups - those wires to the front lights look handy...

On the lookout for a similar standard 03 pacific to haul the passenger train in the other direction; that 0-6-0 would be better on the branchline.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/11/2021 at 17:34, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I'm blaming LNER4479, aka Mr Grant Ham for this...

20211125_172026.jpg

Apologies - missed it the first time round!

So the ever-reliable dampf kettle once again rescues one of them new-fangled, unreliable wirescrapenloks. Most excellent:locomotive:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

20211212_162251.jpg.70e1b111c852462d0083fb1cd8ec54cc.jpg

And now order is restored - only a dampflok in sight.

Quite elegant them Class 50s, compared to the more brutal-looking krieksloks. Below is Meiningen's, safely tucked away inside their running shed. Think I prefer them with smoke deflectors as per your model.

Ski&Rodelblitz 2012 377.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'd agree that the full apron 50 is a handsome beast, only beaten by full apron with Wagner deflectors.

I have a 52 which is butt ugly... the tub tender doesn't help.  It doesn't come out of its box too often.  

I also have a 44 somewhere with a UK cab but full boiler fittings.... the variations of 44 and 50 are many.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

To me, this style of smoke deflectors definitely says "German".

On the other hand, this style -

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Ski&Rodelblitz 2012 377.jpg

...says "Chinese" to me, as per the Beijiao layout elsewhere on here. Just my impression. ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Would look better with one of Mr Bullyboy's naked processed meat tins.

:punish:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Would look better with one of Mr Bullyboy's naked processed meat tins.

:punish:

What, this one?  

tb61_w7.gif.32d6a2973b8e5ec88f2c378cfc4a4311.gif.583a40d084bf699c89b11d617ba40b8c.gif

I believe it was designed to burn grass?  Or the designer smoked grass...  Something.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

I finished work early today, and decided to amuse myself by fitting a decoder to a Roco DR Br44.  I say 'amuse', if you can call dismantling the tender, removing the motor, putting it back together, then having a sixth sense the 8 pin connector was the wrong way round, dismantling the tender, removing the motor, putting the 8 pin connector in the right way, then deciding to test it first before reassembling the tender, finding out that it would run out of control in only one direction, disassembling it again, noticing that the contacts should be on the outside of the motor contacts testing again, it working fine, then reassembling the tender, failing to notice the drive shaft had popped out, popping it back in only to have it pop out again, then working out that the drive shaft can only be fitted after the tender shell is back on, doing all that, getting it back in one piece and noticing that the lights don't work...

Here is the ruddy thing, next to a far more useful Br50

20211217_170320.jpg.13dc5f56b500c44c1f0c732430179ba6.jpg

I don't even need a DR Br44... far too hefty for my little branchline...

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I finished work early today, and decided to amuse myself by fitting a decoder to a Roco DR Br44.  I say 'amuse', if you can call dismantling the tender, removing the motor, putting it back together, then having a sixth sense the 8 pin connector was the wrong way round, dismantling the tender, removing the motor, putting the 8 pin connector in the right way, then deciding to test it first before reassembling the tender, finding out that it would run out of control in only one direction, disassembling it again, noticing that the contacts should be on the outside of the motor contacts testing again, it working fine, then reassembling the tender, failing to notice the drive shaft had popped out, popping it back in only to have it pop out again, then working out that the drive shaft can only be fitted after the tender shell is back on, doing all that, getting it back in one piece and noticing that the lights don't work...

Here is the ruddy thing, next to a far more useful Br50

20211217_170320.jpg.13dc5f56b500c44c1f0c732430179ba6.jpg

I don't even need a DR Br44... far too hefty for my little branchline...

I think you should have stayed at work.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some small tasks on the moba during the Festering Season... 

Painted the platform surface

20211226_161440.jpg.2ad41eb0622a758e591669e8dd674503.jpg

experimented with rail painting and ballasting...

20211227_173422.jpg.d127f481b86fb8a9a47e69f65374cefb.jpg

and I constructed a 'bridge' for my rolling road/dcc programming track so that I can keep it permanently accessible, and free up some space for trays from our most recent takeaway curry so I can safely stow all those bits that might be useful and keep my workspace clear.  I've got some buildings to assemble when the mood takes me.

I still seem to be enjoying  this little layout more than the others I've knocked together over the 7 years this thread has been running.

20211227_173737.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

A bit more ballasting this afternoon. It'll need a lot more fettling before I'll be happy, but I am pleased I went with real granite ballast.  I've tried Woodland Scenics before and it's too rounded for my taste... looks like pebbles, not ballast.

20220101_171326.jpg.f04ca7292ffc9fa83e8f6d6b28fc7d8a.jpg

I also extended the power bus around to the other side of the layout ready for the staging yard.  Soldering is such a joy.

• Like 7