Aw c'mon guys, the good Dr has finally gotten out of his armchair after 10 years and is about to entertain us with his layout building skills using his existing equipment.... :senile: It'll be another 10 years yet if we're not careful (The Eagle has aborted landing and flown off into the wide blue yonder again :jester:)

• 1 month later...

Right then, Easter was a bust  as I was on hols with the family, and work seems to be taking over a lot of my time at the moment.  But I did buy some 9mil ply a few weeks ago and this afternoon attacked it with a saw and a bit of help from a fellow hobbyist and shed owner.

This was the result:

post-238-0-54175600-1399827518_thumb.jpg

Bit of a cheat really, as although we cut all the top boards, they're just sitting on the floor!

post-238-0-41021500-1399827564_thumb.jpg

Next weekend we hope to attack some more wood with saws and enthusiasm, fuelled by tea and cake.  That should get most of the battening and brackets up, then I just have to work my way around building the frames for the 10 individual 'boards' that sit on top of the batten/bracket arrangement.

The workbench really should go in first as then I can move all my stuff out of the garage.  In fact, the work bench was supposed to be today's project but I changed my mind and decided to see what the layout might look like.

Here's a reminder of the current plan.  

post-238-0-66253800-1399828029_thumb.jpg

The photos show the 'half a yard' and the industrial lead curving off to the right.

There's still some 7mm stuff lurking around which keeps distracting me... a small 7mm quarry set up, or sand railway, 26 tonners, 24t hoppers and an 08...

It's a slow project alright - never seem to have more than a few hours at a time, but I'm getting there!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 5

You just need to wait until Peco release their small radius 0 gauge points, so plenty of time, as they were announced a long time ago......

Don't know about an 08, that could be several years away too......

However, Ixion do have a 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke saddle tank & a Fowler diesel that could operate in your quarry......

:laugh_mini2: 

So... 'US O scale 2 rail in the UK.  Rarer than Rocking Horse Poop?' Discuss! .....

Not as rare as in the USA!!! :D

I don't really like modelling in the "mainstream" anyway, doing the same as everyone else.... so US O suits me fine ;)

Supplies? Not telling.... :P

• Like 1

Argh!  you teaser!  I would happily trade all my HoHoHo scale for a decent bunch of modern 2 rail O scale... Gp38 etc

Rather annoyingly, the GP38/38-2 is one type not available as a decent 2-rail model. Weaver do make one, but it's not a patch on Atlas standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, but oh so slow...

First set of battens up, the lower one will provide part of the support for the workbench. 

post-238-0-90556600-1401221358_thumb.jpg

40 year old workmate and mitre saw are still indispensable tools....

All the ply tops are cut and painted, slowly working my way around building the framing.  I could probably work faster, but then what would I have to do?

:)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, it rained today so I was able to legitimately slope off from painting window frames and get on with some proper woodwork.  A few hours saw the second batten put up, the framing complete and all ready for the ply tops to be screwed down in the morning.

post-238-0-59948400-1402176988_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-01053400-1402177019_thumb.jpg

I should be able to get the other side finished next weekend, and the central piece connecting the two sides as well.  The lifting section across the door might take a little longer, as it requires a bit more thought than thumping 2x1s together in a semblance of levelness.

Bearing in mind I'm building an HO scale South Western US layout, would anyone care to explain how this happened?

post-238-0-43940900-1402177280_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Good Heavens. at a speed approaching that of Coachmann, I cracked on today and got most of the benchwork built and almost finished ready for track.  I was defeated by running out of #10 screws.

And because it's a Sunday, and it was after 4pm, that will have to do for today.

post-238-0-04145100-1402251410_thumb.jpg

As I finish up, each section is sanded and filled for a totally smooth, join-less appearance.  Since it's not portable, I'm getting rid of all the unsightly gaps between the sections.  I'm also filling and sanding the framework to give a nice finish to the overall layout.  

post-238-0-66860100-1402251717_thumb.jpg

My favourite tool of the job, alongside the decent mitre saw.  I have several of these 90 degree clamps - and thank heavens, because I've never seen them in any hardware shop since I got them from my dear old Uncle Joe back in the early 90s.

post-238-0-40222100-1402251699_thumb.jpg

A very productive weekend!  And as I will be working next weekend, I am entitled to a day off this week.  I know where I shall be going.  Back to Wickes for more #10 twin thread screws.  I should have the whole thing done in another day.

After that, ladies and gentlemen, the good Dr will be laying track and embarking on electrics.

• Like 4

Stanley make them - light and heavy duty

eBay item number:

eBay item number:

others are available - I only know because I have 8 of them that I use for gluing baseboards

Edited by shortliner

I had another couple of days sterling effort.  Progress isn't as dramatic, as it's mainly finishing the corner frames, and building the supports for the lift-out section across the doorway.  I was going to make this a lifting flap thing, and then realised that I was over-thinking it and certainly would be over-engineering it.  For the most part, I'm running end to end so no need for a fancy hinged doodad when a simple lift-out will do.

Here's the 'inner' end, all nicely finished and ready for a final go round with filler and paint.

post-238-0-47796500-1402438215_thumb.jpg

Shortly after that was taken, I painted the batten and knee brace with undercoat prior to a finish of white matt.

Looking the other way, towards the door and the 'outer' end.  My equivalent of the Loughborough Gap.

post-238-0-83626200-1402438303_thumb.jpg

This end is constructionally complete, just in the early stages of filling sanding and painting.  I was pretty pleased to figure out a use for the triangular off-cuts that were left over from the corner units.

post-238-0-01943900-1402438401_thumb.jpg

The lift-out section will sit safely on these triangular brackets, and slot between the end plates of the framework. 

At this rate, another day of finishing and building the lift-out, and then on to track laying!  I have to say, I've enjoyed building the benchwork far more than I thought I would, I shall almost be sad when it's done.  Almost...

• Like 3

It's 53 inches (1.35m) to the top surface of the board.  Around chest height for me, so it's designed to be operated from a slightly elevated viewpoint, not a helicopter view.  I wanted to be close to the rolling sock without having to sit or lean over.

This is supposed to be putting me into the role of 'footboard yardmaster' as the layout is a walk along switching layout, not a sit and watch the trains go by roundy roundy.  All turnouts will be manual, and all uncoupling will be manual too, so it should feel like being on the ground and walking the train, operating a real switch job.

That's the theory anyway. :)

• Like 3

Nice Work, Dr. G-F!!! 

Can you get Code 55 Atlas track over there (I know that they have had some supply issues)? Superb if delicate.....

Best, Pete.

spiking-scale-close2.jpg

spiking-scale-close1.jpg

That's  where "rolling your own" with 1000 packs of wood ties and loose rail wins out.  :smoke:

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert
  • Like 2