Dear DR G-F,

Given some of your text around Guangzhou had been "censored",
I thought you had had an experience of that airport much like mine from a few years ago...
(Takeaway: If you have any opportunity to _avoid_ Guangzhou airport, sieze that opportunity with gusto!)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

As I understand it, photos are verboten on stations.  I was hoping to persuade my minder to take me trackside on the one afternoon we had free, but he was oddly not keen!

I find trips to China equal measures exhilarating and exasperating.  I'm not a fan of Chinese food for a start, and find the almost daily formal banquets an ordeal to say the least.  But my hosts were excellent company, and it beats a day in the office.

I am finding long haul increasingly hard to tolerate as I get older though.  If only work would send me business class perhaps it wouldn't be so bad, but 12 hours in BA economy was a bit of a grind.   Even train travel is getting worse as trains increasingly replicate the airline experience of terrible seats and endless security.

I would trade speed  for comfort every time.

Autumn barks on teeth of sharks, and Winter squarely bites me....

Things go quiet on the modelling front at this time of year - too busy at work, and the trudge to the bottom if the garden in inclement weather is less than alluring.  But here's some shots from sunnier times.

post-238-0-76059900-1447838550_thumb.jpg

The local is switching the lumber yard at the eastern end of the spur.

post-238-0-44463700-1447838590_thumb.jpg

There's a healthy amount of product for further shipping.  I spent several weekends assembling wrapped timber loads, and pallets (skids, I suppose I should call them) and sawn lumber stacks.  Mindless, but adds to the ambience

post-238-0-74350000-1447838695_thumb.jpg

Once the local has departed, silence falls on the industrial tracks under the Lyndon B Johnson Parkway Overpass.  The next train may be some time off....

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Not much happening in the shed, too busy with boring things at the moment.

I did spend a couple of hours on these two things the other weekend.

post-238-0-84173800-1454689473_thumb.jpg

Still a surprising number of fiddly bits to add, not that I have any idea what any of them are.  I thought the Parkside Dundas 16t underframe was unnecessarily over complex, and found it a faff trying to establish a good square set on all the W irons.

Thought O scale might make the coupling issue easier - it didn't.  Although they look good, I found trying to couple these two together using a shunter's pole a nightmare.

post-238-0-76465600-1454689811_thumb.jpg

The answer presumably is longer links on either side of the instanter...

This is all by way of a small diversion from the HO US stuff, which is not doing it for me at the moment.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now then chaps, can anyone recommend a tame DCC expert to fit my matched pair of GP38s

post-238-0-48941900-1456503164.jpg

oops, I meant

post-238-0-96887000-1456503410_thumb.jpg

with Loksound chip, biggest speakers possible, and led ditch lights?

I feel the need to thin out my collection, and spend the readies on sound and DCC for increased play value...

Also, best hand held DCC system for switching?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Also, best hand held DCC system for switching?

NCE power cab every time, no contest, hands down.

Everything can be done with one hand operation which is invaluable for switching as it leaves your other hand free.

I have a 5 amp Pro cab but its basically the same deal for all intents and purposes.

• RMweb Premium

I'm a soldering numpty, so was hoping to find a nice expert to do the lights and sounds for me :)

Ive done a fair few for myself over the last few years but the trouble these days, I seem to have less time to work on such things!

I ran some trains yesterday afternoon, and shall do the same this afternoon as break from my studies.

Pleased to say that despite no use since at least October, everything worked perfectly.  There's a small amount of tarnish on the rails, but even without cleaning the GP38 pair were smooth as silk.

Looking forward to getting  DCC sound installed this year.  Need to thin out the collection a bit first!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A small number of developments on the ISL.

Some yard lighting has appeared. although it's not very American looking...

post-238-0-16984900-1458680324_thumb.jpg

and I've added a 12 degree crossing off two #6s to give a kickback spur.  This area is supposed to become some sort of bakery or similar, and so a short spur was needed for tank cars.  Suitable building flats are sought for this development...

post-238-0-25907400-1458680432_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-47282200-1458680474_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-33565000-1458680452_thumb.jpg

Finally, one of my 'modernised' SD40T-2s got a turn on the switch job, seen here picking up a gon from the building supplies spur.

post-238-0-04583500-1458680703_thumb.jpg

I need to patch out the KCS and renumber as a leasor.  Any ideas for a paint or decal patch that is suitable for nearly matching the KCS grey?

Next jobs are to complete some more buildings, trees and roads.  Then DCC sound!

• Like 7