A little bit more tweaking.  Should really be reading for the ol' doctorate but as my daughter says, with a Gallic shrug, meh.

post-238-0-40858700-1459005026_thumb.jpg

The 12 degree crossing is in, and now allows a short siding to some storage tanks long enough for my pair of tatty tank cars.  I'm not really a fan of the woodland scenics ballast, it looks too round, like marbles.  For a spur like this I probably need something more akin to sand, or dust,

post-238-0-54612200-1459005175_thumb.jpg

Looking east from the John Armstrong Memorial Highway Bridge, the builders supply yard is in view.  I've changed the buildings on the right to a pair of separate buildings with two spots each.  The left most track may end in an old SP style piggyback ramp.

post-238-0-39764700-1459005295_thumb.jpg

Looking west at the new crossing.  I wish Peco would make a suitable crossing like this for the #8s.  The Atlas one matches #6s, which are a bit sharper than I really like, plus the rail section is thicker than Peco, and the ties are a bit weird, not matching any way I've ever seen a crossing laid out.  I tried making one of my own last summer, the less said about that the better.

post-238-0-05029000-1459005434_thumb.jpg

On the other side of the layout, I've temporarily laid in a storage track that will hold the over flow from whatever industry ends up being on the two curved spurs on the far right.  I can't get this right at the moment,  Maybe a cement plant that uses the cute 2 bay covered hoppers.... maybe a bakery... inspiration not striking at the moment. Much more successful is the placement of the industry that is sitting on the left, I like how the spur curves clear of the main to arrive at the doors, this was an accident but looks very authentic.  The UK light poles need to be replaced though...

post-238-0-26758100-1459005662_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-08220000-1459005693_thumb.jpg

This is the awkward corner.  Trying to disguise the end wall, and put an industry that balances the other end of the layout visually is proving somewhat harder than expected.  

• Like 9

There is a lot to like about what is going on there. I agree that the track curving off to the industry on the left is very effective.

Your preference for no. 8 turnouts makes it all look so real.

What a challenge trying to disguise the two tracks heading into the wall. Looks like a two-track mainline and I'm not sure what you are intending there. The usual thing would be to have tracks disappear behind a building or under an overpass but you don't really have room for the first option.

Random thoughts in a cafe before work. Enjoying watching your progress.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hope so, I need a bit of a boost - modelling mojo a bit absent lately.    I buggered up my SD40T-2 today... 

Next stop, some sound for the GP38s.

But why do I keep looking at this?

attachicon.gifMM7078_1555030_Qty1_1.jpg

Its nice but Ive just noticed my pet hate, the fact that the brake shoes are no where near to where they should be.

Stands out like tits on a fish which is a shame, other than that its a nice model.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Out of curiosity, would you want them spaced in line with the wheels as supplied (a scale 13.5" under gauge)* or spaced literally where they should be?

Its a good question, Simon.

Production constraints make it a tricky area as does the gauge issue plus side play in the wheels for tighter curves etc but most manufacturers do tend to make some effort in this area, Kato and Athearn being two straight off the top of my head!

It is rather glaring on some models though and tends to remind me of a 1980's Lima model.

• RMweb Premium

I wish BR had bought these en-masse in the late 70s to replace the tottering bags of spanners they had then.  I would have enjoyed trackside a lot more.

Especially the un-silenced 567!

• 1 month later...

Ay ay ay.

Two months with no progress - dismantled half the pike, again.  Got the NCE Powercab and the speakers, just need to purchase the sound chips...

Still can't resolve the 'staging yard' half of the pike.  

Still itching to purchase a CIE 071....

Need some focus - anyone got any going spare?

What I would like is for someone to come with an amazing track plan to fill my space.  I seem to have run out of ideas!

So, if anyone fancies a go....'It's competition time!'  Free pic of the lovely Nigella to be won...

Overall size is 13'6" x 7' 6" 

post-238-0-92309600-1468352071_thumb.jpg

era - recent

turnouts #8s

min radius 30"

would prefer single large industry pike to a car load switcher, something like a cement plant or something requiring frequent heavy switching.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Gold

I think that unless you build something that can be run as a round and round layout aswell as switching you aren't going to be happy as you will get bored with whatever you build.

I could be wrong but that's the feeling I am getting even if it's a totally different country.

:secret: (go for the folded 8, go for the folded 8...) :secret:

I know I've sent you this before but might be interesting to see what others think. It's certainly the sort of thing I would do on a US theme given the space you have available.

post-16151-0-62999000-1468395955_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You might be different to me, but I'd get overwhelmed by all that space, so maybe doing it in sections would help.

I'd build something (expandable) along the top edge. Just the industry. Stick a single track "main" round the end so you can make up the incoming trains manually and see how that works. You could then add more industry/ an interchange/ a station/ whatever along the bottom once your happy with the top, and have maybe made some decent progress with it.

And I'd definitely make an allowance for making it a roundy for making the longest train you can and mindlessly letting it circulate.

Edited by Zomboid