Farish(?) King

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I asked this question back in 2010 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26422-die-cast-4mm00-king/

Since then some more parts of it have turned up. This rather bulky tender drive unit which drives the loco not itself by means of a cardan shaft (not present) presumably to a gearbox (again not present) on the main loco chassis. It has been fitted with Romfords and rail built con rods.

All a bit of a puzzle really. 

If anybody can identify just what it is. I'd be very grateful indeed, then I can dispose of it.

Many thanks

post-6728-0-07202700-1396360871_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-73588500-1396360881_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-85793500-1396360889_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the whole thing is Farish with the possible exception of the driving wheels which, like mine, could have been changed for Hamblings.  I've not see the actual 'drive mechanism' on one of these before.  What is on the 'back' of the motor assembly?

Which parts do you reckon could be scratchbuilt?

• RMweb Gold

I actually think that you're right Dave. It looks to have been soldered together out of 1/8th (?) brass. Of course this could have been the method of manufacture but I would've thought that 'mazak' or some similar cast material (Munns Metal?)was used.

The wheels are Romford.

I shall be putting it up on Ebay as my priorities have moved (as they do) away from 'restoration'. Somebody might have an interest in it (I hope!)

post-6728-0-58641600-1397650678_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-50811800-1397650690_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-16287300-1397650704_thumb.jpg

Well, yes, that certainly isn't a Farish chassis now it's viewable in close-up!  I reckon the body is though.

That's presumably a condenser or similar on the back of the tender for TV supression but where is the motor magnet and what is the 'arm' sticking out from what is possibly the motor shaft bearing?

It all appears to be part of the 'vibrator' motor. I believe they have a field winding with a permanent magnet rotor. The brown device is indeed a capacitor (of an archaic and fragile type).

• RMweb Premium

I would say the whole thing is Farish with the possible exception of the driving wheels which, like mine, could have been changed for Hamblings. 

Do you suffer from the splines?

No, I always walk like this.

The capacitor looks like one I  helped make  at Plesseys in Ilford  in the 60's .After encapsulating with an araldite type resin  I set up the machines to print the values on them .I also had to actually do printing as well which was boring so I left after a while .

I would say the whole thing is Farish with the possible exception of the driving wheels which, like mine, could have been changed for Hamblings.  I've not see the actual 'drive mechanism' on one of these before.  What is on the 'back' of the motor assembly?

Which parts do you reckon could be scratchbuilt?

The chassis does not appear to be original, but I may be wrong on this, not having a Farish 'King' myself.

Here is an original (I like the seller's comment!), though the picture is rather small.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAHAM-FARISH-00-gauge-locomotive-GWR-KING-JOHN-/261453436479?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cdfd6d63f

and another in more detail

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Farish-King-Charles-/171301681546?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27e260398a

• 5 weeks later...

The Graham Farish original two pole motor is difficult to persuade to start but once going is enormously powerful. The central rotating magnet seems to be of a high grade, which probably contributes to this and does not lose its magnetism. The Black 5 seems to be a better starter than the King and the Merchant Navy but I think this may be down to the steel cylinders either side of the coil being a more concentrated mass to stop the motor in the correct position to restart rather than the steel strip used on later motors and because of the centrifugal clutch that only engages on the Black 5 when the motor starts to rotate. The King and I think all but the earliest Merchant Navys have steel springs instead of a clutch.

King chassis often fell apart from metal fatigue which probably explains why this one has been replaced.

Archived