2A-Rail.co.uk - LNER Y5 & Y4 kits

Hi all, currently sorting through several planned models I will be drawing up at some point, all of which will either be used on a planned layout (just a base board at the moment) or simply because I fancy a model of them. Unless stated otherwise, all are 7mm scale.

O-16.5mm Locomotives:

Lagos Steam Tramway Hunslet Locomotive (chassis tbc)

Kaunia-Dharlla Railway 0-6-0T (possibly Bachmann/Mainline J72)

Fairymead Sugar Mill 4wd Diesel Mechanical Locomotive (chassis tbc)

O9 Locomotives (Miniature):

RHDR No. 4 "The Bug" 0-4-0TT (Fleischmann 7000 chassis)

R&ER "River Esk" (chassis tbc)

R&ER "Bonnie Dundee" (chassis tbc)

R&ER Basset Lowke 4-4-2 (chassis possibly going to be 100% custom)

O9 Locomotives (Estate):

Groudle Glen Railway Polar Bear & Sea Lion (small enough for O9, Modified Farish 61XX chassis)

R&ER Ella 0-6-0T (chassis tbc)

R&ER Muriel 0-8-0T (chassis tbc)

Stock:

O9 - R&ER styled open & closed coaches (12 seater bogie)

Hopefully you aren't bored yet, so I'll supply some photos of my currently complete locos (awaiting them being printed) to bide the time.

kerrstuartrenderfinal_zpse3f33d34.png

manningwardlequintina_zps4a64f375.png

merseysider5_zps9765aa17.jpg

Johnny

Edited by 2A-Rail
  • Like 2

Have been toying with the idea of producing some of the smaller 2 foot gauge locomotives as 15" gauge ones. Whist so far I've planned to do the Groudle Glen's 2-4-0Ts in this manner, some other locomotives I've looked at would also suit the same treatment. Taking a tad of inspiration from Brack and his Bagnall and Annie models, it scales nicely to Heywood's estate stock. Looking at the Farish 61XX chassis, this seems to be a logical choice for powering the locomotive but I'll look at it when I have a basic body drawn up.

ellafinal_zps221209ea.png

This was my previouis model of Heywood's "Ella", and I shall be redrawing it at some point to sort some issues out.

Johnny

• 3 months later...

First up, finally got another O-16.5 kit near ready to sell.

Joining the Quarry Hunslet and Talyllyn Merseysider, we have "Quintina", a Manning Wardle based on one used on the Furzebrook Railway. This kit uses a lightly modified Fleischmann Anna chassis, which is far superior to the Hornby 0-4-0. 

Details and price to follow soon.

qunitina7mmpaint_zpsb423a20e.png

Along with that, I've also got two for OO too.

As part of our starter range, we will be offering conversion kits to bring "toys" to decent standards. The first kit is for the Hornby Percy, and allows for conversion to a generic 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotive. The second is for the Bachmann Toby. This kit allows you to produce a LNER J70/Y6 with minimal effort, and as such create a locomotive not available in a Ready to Tun form.

Details and prices for both will follow shortly.

percyconversionkit_zps84ad84a5.png

tobyconversionkit_zps5b39e8f6.png

Will paint these up soon so I can display them on my website.

Johnny

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed a design by commission, not 100% accurate but certainly looks the part. Seeing as one operated locally to me as well, I'll be building a model for myself.

peckettW6complete_zps8f01ae7d.png

Peckett W6 is now available for 4mm scale, and is designed to take the Dapol/Hornby Pug chassis. Will look into producing this model in 3.5mm scale too.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2422982/4mm-scale-peckett-w6-0-4-0st.html

Will have to do an order with Narrow Planet too at some point so I can finish off some of my kits :)

Johnny

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now working on another commission kit, being the LNER Y5 (Formerly GER Class '209')

Unlike the Peckett above, this kit will come with a custom chassis as there is nothing suitable ready to run. It's my first time doing a chassis with 3D printing, so it's more or less a test in order to see how it works. Please note these renders show the part finished model, and some details are not yet present.

lnery5_zps4bbf5110.png

lneyy5chassistestrear_zps3028f6f5.png

y5chassis_zps2f495cb2.png

lneyy5chassistest_zps3899ceeb.png

Still plenty of work to do yet, but it's certainly looking like a Y5 now!

Johnny

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Right, time for the narrow gauge update...

OO9 - Kerr Stuart 0-4-0T

EB305C25-6E25-47EB-AE89-318B4F688CA4_zps

F5FCF19D-B847-4EE1-B35D-59BCBAA61201_zps

This kit is based upon drawings for the proposed Kerr Stuart 0-6-0T for the Talyllyn Railway. I have designed it to use the Fleischmann 7000 chassis to make a smart looking steam locomotive that doesn't use tram skirts to hide a Kato 4 wheel chassis. Of course for those who wish to have it as a 0-6-0T, the Minitrix chassis will fit with some modification. I'll build a second one using this.

7FA862F1-3C1B-4101-8530-1802B512BC80_zps

O9 - Unit Models tank wagon conversion

I've recently bought an O9 layout and needed some stock to go on it. Locomotive wise I am toying with the idea of making a Heywood locomotive for one of the many Graham Farish 0-6-0 chassis. Also designed a loco to use the Minitrix 0-6-0T chassis, based upon many newbuilds used today.

estateloco_zps11d3ce77.png

UnitModelsWagons1_zpsf71b222d.jpg

The Unit Models castings are great for what I need, but the range is rather limited. From what I understand they are bringing out more items soon but for now I have a closed wagon, a open wagon and a flat wagon. The reason for the flat wagon is I want to have a tank wagon to use of the layout. Quickly created a design and had it printed, not too great detail wise but it'll be weathered and toned down eventually.

2D3EC487-229E-49DE-8891-1F86C96FEAF5_zps

C29D6D8A-592B-43D3-9120-DE5A6FC494F4_zps

Not based upon any particular prototype, just went for something that looked right.

Johnny

And as for Standard Gauge, here it is.

B324D474-674B-4565-83CA-E0D2B9591E36_zps

6BE3BF2C-32EC-43C3-9B73-B70FA4FFF9E9_zps

BA774659-9E3D-4012-93DD-B341058DFDF0_zps

0626C3E8-3898-404F-B370-7B0BFB6921EC_zps

This print works fine in Frosted Ultra Detail but not so for White Strong & Flexible. Will do some slight alterations to fix this mesh, hopefully nothing too major here or there.

As for the Y5?

06DC2CFD-19EB-4442-AEB6-6D77F73951DE_zps

Still very much a work in progress, but at least I've got an idea of how to go about it now.

Johnny

• Like 4

Peckett got some adjustments along with the first coat of paint today. Off work resting after a toenail operation so I'm modelling to pass the time.

67395A52-E571-44B6-B8D4-C269524557CB_zps

3785BC17-891B-400D-8095-1DDAA4F4205D_zps

DD701EC2-7E19-44C4-9043-2B836BD1FD5B_zps

B93C3C83-AAAB-4CDF-BBB8-570050EE2BD7_zps

Was going to go for black with red lining, but instead went for red. Guess I'm just fond of red locomotives given I've grown up in a town which is former LMS territory. 

A79409E3-1405-47A5-8537-022353BF4B28_zps

Just need to make a boiler section now and paint and add a few more details. Any thoughts/comments so far? I know the chassis sits a bit too far back compared to the prototype but it evens out with the fact the chassis is ready built and no assembly is needed in that department.

Johnny

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Your 3D work is brilliant!

What I would suggest is using some filler primer spray on the loco body first, then rubbing down the surfaces with some medium sandpaper (perhaps wet and dry), then another coat of FP, then some fine sandpaper to get a smooth finish. This should reduce the rough look that 3D printing gives. 

-apologies if this is what you were intending to do anyway!

• Like 1

Your 3D work is brilliant!

What I would suggest is using some filler primer spray on the loco body first, then rubbing down the surfaces with some medium sandpaper (perhaps wet and dry), then another coat of FP, then some fine sandpaper to get a smooth finish. This should reduce the rough look that 3D printing gives. 

-apologies if this is what you were intending to do anyway!

If I was making the kit to suit my own needs then I'd go down this route, however I'm building it as an example to show how it looks built up. I'll be building more so I'll try and polish them up a bit, although from normal viewing distances the surface texture isn't too bad.

Items of this size can surely be polished would make the surface smoother and not add to much on top, might be an option.

I'll look into it, but for now the kit will be available in either White Strong & Flexible or Frosted Ultra Detail.

391645C0-2325-496B-8901-2DBDC793400A_zps

A1397A02-6325-4400-9487-0EF483B9A827_zps

Please note this is how you need the chassis, just remove the body and use plasticard to raise it up a little.

36C56CF5-4184-47B3-87FA-E22DF2A70C4B_zps

Quite happy to say the kit is now released. I've fixed a few areas, such as giving the final model a boiler which can be filled with weight. If anyone wants one, you can get it on Shapeways right now.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2648909/4mm-scale-peckett-w6-Dapol-pug-chassis.html

Johnny

Jonny

I am not very knowledgeable about 3D printed items and others may be the same. I must admit in one way I like the kits, but do I want one with an orange peal effect ? Are they easy to rectify ?  Are the frosted ones better quality and do not have this finish

How does one go about buying them, I guess from Shapeways please

Yes, if you select to buy it in frosted ultra detail you'll get a finish not unlike ready to run models. I'll be ordering another one in this material for comparisons sake.

You buy the model through Shapeways, all you need is a PayPal account.

Johnny

Indeed I can see it's already broken/damaged ;) possible rethink that one best to design something robust and a little stronger than something that might fail on the cleaning down process when taking it out of the printer tray, sadly you have to build things with a bit more strength in mind, which may mean things have to be thicker to be safe, which I would worry about in those 2 types of material.

• 7 years later...
On 24/08/2014 at 18:39, 2A-Rail said:

Now working on another commission kit, being the LNER Y5 (Formerly GER Class '209')

Unlike the Peckett above, this kit will come with a custom chassis as there is nothing suitable ready to run. It's my first time doing a chassis with 3D printing, so it's more or less a test in order to see how it works. Please note these renders show the part finished model, and some details are not yet present.

lnery5_zps4bbf5110.png

lneyy5chassistestrear_zps3028f6f5.png

y5chassis_zps2f495cb2.png

lneyy5chassistest_zps3899ceeb.png

Still plenty of work to do yet, but it's certainly looking like a Y5 now!

Johnny

What rtr chassis can it use?

• Like 1