What's involved with 'processing' an image for the magazine?

Andy Y

Photography isn't art .. couldn't disagree with more on that score.

However, when it comes to the latest "fad" of adding smoke to model railway pictures I'm with you all the way - its just so naff it makes me cringe. Which isn't to say I don't like creative model railway photography but this looks like what it is - a white smudge. 

Quoted (selectively) for truth, as they say on't web. 

I wonder whether 'blue screen' would actually work, because such a backscene is likely not to be evenly lit, and therefore there will be a myriad of tones to drop out and make transparent.

You can set photoshop to work within tolerances on most of it's functions.

There is a tolerance tool which enable you to erase the background in fairly big lumps, it's erasing around the details that can get tricky. One way is to create a brush from the area you want to preserve, delete it all, and then re-insert the brush part, there are of course difficulties in lining everything up again.

One way I've tried with mixed success is to flood the area behind the subject in a strong coloured light, the important thing to remember then is to set exposure on the camera to the subject, and not what's behind it.

• 2 months later...

You can set photoshop to work within tolerances on most of it's functions.

There is a tolerance tool which enable you to erase the background in fairly big lumps, it's erasing around the details that can get tricky. One way is to create a brush from the area you want to preserve, delete it all, and then re-insert the brush part, there are of course difficulties in lining everything up again.

One way I've tried with mixed success is to flood the area behind the subject in a strong coloured light, the important thing to remember then is to set exposure on the camera to the subject, and not what's behind it.

I used that technique for this attempt - along with Zerene Stacker.

2015-09-04-16.45.29%20ZS%20DMap_zpshbfmq

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Hi Andy, this tutorial is much appreciated!

Auto-blend layers / Auto-align layers

I worked in graphic design studios for many years so I am familiar with Photoshop but never needed to blend layers in the way that you described. The auto-align and auto-blend tools were something I had never tried!

Merging various planes of focus is something that I had tried, resorting to some clunky manual methods. The results have been OK but the more complicated the image, the harder it got!

I'm really looking forward to adding your methods to my Photoshop skills as the results you showed are very clean and effective.

Hand-bodged example

Here's a recent image that I produced using my clunky method. You can see in the middle focus, where there is a lot of visual clutter i.e. rigging and masts that I had to bodge areas with clone stamping and cutting things out and replacing them with magic-wand etc. There remains an area above the landrover which is still out of focus.

gasworks-barclay-05-colour.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3

On 12/04/2014 at 15:03, Anotheran said:

Small world! My parents live top right near Baswich church while I am sadly not in the pic being off top left... in Doxey!

Small world indeed. I was born and brought up in Weeping Cross and later Hopton and Moss Pit. I still have an uncle and aunt in Weeping Cross

Edited by LimboBrit
addition

• 7 months later...

Hi Andy

I am not sure if you will see this reply.

I am looking for help or advice on putting a video clip on my thread.

I tried for the first time to put a two minute video clip on my Haymarket thread last night which I took on my IPhone.

but the system stop me as it was over the 10meg maximum size.

I see on other threads people sometimes out upto 30 minute videos on RMWeb.

How is this done as I cannot find how I can reduce the size of my video like i would a JPEG. File.

Regards

David