......old Hornby O gauge tinplate back in the 60's, I was only around 10 years old back then, it was fun to set up / play with and pack away. The "rot" set in when I got ... a Tri-ang TT gauge Jinty and two coaches boxed set. No more "winding up " !!!!!!!!!

SNAP!! - (Except mine was a goods set).

• Like 1

Glad you posted on here brianusa or I might never have known the thread existed. :)

I've just bought some Hornby 0 gauge, (probably over done it, but what the heck).

Longing to re live the feeling I got when I first encountered 0 gauge back in the 50's.

I've never gone for all this super detailing that most modellers seem to want these days.

I want a railway, not a landscape that just happens to have a railway in it.

Edited by switcher 1

• 1 month later...

It's a shame not many people are finding this thread, so I'm giving it another push. :)

Have purchased some more stock & trackwork. Should be enough for a quick setup & play when everyone else goes out.

Forgot how fast the clockwork locos ran, was wondering if they can be made to run more slowly somehow, without ruining them, of course.

It's a shame not many people are finding this thread, so I'm giving it another push. :)

I'm delighted to have found this thread  :yes:   I am building a small 0 gauge three rail layout in my shed.  At 6 foot by b 8 foot it's smaller than a lot of 00 layouts but it's huge fun.   I'll try and post some photos, when I work out how to do it.

• Like 1

They run more slowly if you put a lot of wagons behind them. You can also replace the chassis with an electric one but it will cost about £120.

Thanks, I did/was thinking of perhaps using a D.C. chassis or going battery operated, will have to investigate more; trouble is I now have 4 locos.

Hi. I enjoy reading these posts very much. I have always liked old toys, maybe because I never had too many  as a kid (yes I know start the violins)!  A work colleague introduced me to Bowman live steam O gauge a few years ago & since then I have got all 4 locos that Bowman made, plus others, and have had a lot of fun getting them to run well and buying and making suitable rolling stock for them. They need to pull rolling stock as there is no form of speed control other than more/less wagons or reducing the number of working wicks (flames).  Lionel 3ft radius track is ideal for the largest Bowman loco and it is compatible with Hornby which is very useful. Yes new Lionel track is available in the UK at Tennents Trains but I prefer to get the older, better made track from the States on eBay. (Rusty track is not a problem for me). I also like the between-wars era American 8 wheel (bogie) rolling stock made by Lionel & American Flyer as well as Hornby.

Live steam is not often seen at exhibitions for a variety of reasons but mainly, I suspect, the "fear factor" on the part of organisers which they explain away by stating insurance or health & safety issues. I built my own demountable exhibition layout and take it to various events, mainly full-size steam shows, toy steam shows and model railway shows run by enlightened organisers. These are 60%/ 40% outside/inside. Needless to say, I am very conscious of running a responsible and safe display and I dress the layout up with tinplate buildings, bridges and tunnels for added interest. Visitors are always entranced to see live steam actually working and it is always worth doing these exhibitions just for the reactions and conversations I have. Apart from messy layouts,it annoys me as a spectator at exhibitions when the person/s running the display totally ignore you.

I will be part of the team running Bowman locos at the Exeter Garden Railway show on the 18th Oct (this month) and the day after I will be operating my layout at the Wimborne O gauge event. A busy Weekend then!  

Cheers, Trevor.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello all, I was linked to this page by Switcher 1 and am happy to see coarse scale on RMWeb! I find these models to be really very charming and at the risk of sounding childish I love playing with trains. I have a seven year old boy and I have thought about getting a little coarse O trainset type set up for us both to enjoy playing with. I have OO/HO and Japanese N but the robustness and play value of coarse O would be ideal for him I think. I know some dismiss these as "yoys" but to most of the population all model trains up to the most expensive fine scale master pieces are toys and there is nothing wrong whatsoever in enjoying playing trains in my book and the very robust nature and simplicity of the models is pretty much a big part of why I think it'd be a nice toy to play with as father and son.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a quantity of 0 gauge tinplate for restoration - 2 Bing coaches, 3 Hornby wagons and a coach, plus some assorted wagon underframes. The finish on most is OK but with the odd spot of rust (a bit like their new owner!) and most lack minor details like wheels and roofs. I now have my 4 less items on my 'Childhood recovery nostalgia list'*.

* Post-war Silver 'Esso' tank wagon (quite good this one), LMS & LNER open wagons (Just to be original the LNER wagon has the same number as the Dublo one, though the loading has been uprated to 13T) and an LMS 4 wheel coach. Nothing particularly rare of course, so I won't  post photos, unless anyone is really interested. Only about a dozen vehicles and an LMS 0-4-0T to go.... :good:

• Like 3

Must try and keep the momentum going for tinplate trains.  We can't be all rivet counters!

Agree; I was about to take some of mine out of the boxes & put a  photo up just to keep this thread active, but I see we are of a similar mind. :)

(Let us try to post something, at least once a month.)

Edit:

post-17163-0-90966000-1415011146.jpg

Sorry, not a good photo of a not perfect loco, but it's a 'runner'.

Edited by switcher 1
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Christmas comes to the layout.  The tree is up by the church with the skaters and Father Christmas is about to descend the chimney.

Merry Christmas

Brian.

That's really superb!

Is the magnificent signal at centre top made by Lionel?

We don't see much of their products over here - I saw a few beat up and rusty items on offer some years ago, but the price requested was ridiculous! :O