On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:29, GRASinBothell said:

It's the one in Lynden (up near the Canadian border).

Saturday 5th/Sunday 6th October.

Gordon

Thanks for the info, but got a bad cold which won't shake.  Don't suppose there is much in the way of Hornby trains there though!

Brian.

Well, Brian, there'll be my modules with JeP station building and signal box, and French Hornby Quai aux Voyageurs (island platform) and level crossings plus my French Hornby autorail, a couple of locos you haven't seen, and some CIWL coaches and a few wagons.

I don't know if Ed will have any Hornby there. He usually has some.

Of course, if you wait a couple of weeks, then (a) your cold may have gone, and (b) you can see it at Maple Valley. Or you can wait till Thanksgiving weekend and see it at MOHAI in Seattle.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

My first post here, for some time I’ve been looking for some affordable housing and came across this simple laser cut MDF/Cardboard kit of three terraced house’s. I wanted something that would blend with the Hornby Tinplate and Bassett Lowke buildings of the 1930’s. To cut to the chase I came across this row of three low relief terraced houses on eBay, priced at £11 and P&P at £1.50 they seemed to fit the bill. Below are a couple of pictures of the completed model with a few extras such as curtains, down pipes and chimney pot flaunching chucked in. I resisted the urge to use brick papers and settled for a red oxide primer as the main brick colour. In attendance are three Hornby station staff to give some idea of comparative scales.

i am pleased with the finished job and will shortly embark on extending the row, sturdily built from MDF with a card roof and card doors and window frames it’s easily built and lends itself to further embellishment.

DB0A9B80-1B3F-41B2-905C-480246AEEEEE.jpeg.1aea1c15051b0527654ffb092701ec20.jpeg

73FEC7CD-612C-4EEF-B93F-2F3B178A3E3E.jpeg

• Like 3

Also just off the work bench ( kitchen table) is a Hornby Series Tinplate signal box, when it was acquired it was bearing the signs of poor storage with spidery rust taking hold and not a few dents in the structure, the staircase was also loose and was way out of kilter.

It was cheap to buy and didn’t really meet the standards for display, the idea behind the purchase was to try and make something of a substandard item. The roof was taken off and an attempt was made at removing the crease in the Tinplate, the staircase tabs were bent over more tightly securing the staircase. The window frames were distorted and an attempt was made at straightening. While the roof was off a Peco signal box interior was fitted along with glazing for the windows. The chimney was drilled through enabling a Seuthe smoke unit to be installed and an internal light and an external one above the staircase fitted. A Hornby figure was fitted and the roof refitted. A large rusted scratch was partially obscured by fitting a WINDSOR Station nameplate to the front. 

To keep things simple the lights are battery powered LED’s with the battery boxes concealed in the base of the box. The smoke unit works best off a variable power source in this case an old H&M Clipper, the smoke unit happily responds to the controller going from whisps of smoke to a regular stream of smoke, it will even blow smoke rings.

in conclusion this wasn’t the cheap exercise I envisaged at the outset,  The signal box itself was the cheapest buy at £10 the Peco interior Kit was £20 and the smoke unit another £20 and probably another £10 worth of leftover items from other projects. In the background is the part completed terrace mentioned in my previous post. All in all  a fun exercise3C61D87A-C810-44A7-B31F-06570F7B60EC.jpeg.3912303aca449a4c2dafd749da2fc626.jpeg0D1AA8DF-B473-48E6-8CE9-F9F81714A069.jpeg.7b7abffd2a489cd6aa8af06b856a42d3.jpeg3C61D87A-C810-44A7-B31F-06570F7B60EC.jpeg.3912303aca449a4c2dafd749da2fc626.jpegfrom other projects.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 3 weeks later...

If you will forgive my obsession with couplings. My latest experiments involve replacing the couplings on a couple of ACE Trains 6 wheel Clemenson coaches with LMC pattern couplings, and using LMC pattern couplings as replacements for 3-link couplings. So far there has been no problem with either conversion, and both negotiate 2' reverse curves with no problem. The LMC coupling on the ACE Trains coach sags because there is very little metal left after drilling it out to fit the  pin.

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

• Like 2

Have you seen that Mr L of WJVintage is sourcing a batch of these better couplings? Thinking about it, are you the instigator?

I’m hoping to get enough to ‘do’ my Terriers, and I’m half thinking about making some coupler-bars to fit to my many six-wheeler coaches, to form semi-permanent rakes (sufficient couplers would work out a tad expensive!). I believe that the original Carette ones came with bars to connect the centre coach of three, rather than couplers, and may even have been permanently linked (the old adverts are ambiguous).

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Have you seen that Mr L of WJVintage is sourcing a batch of these better couplings? Thinking about it, are you the instigator?

Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. The double hole variety available through Mr L. are to my eye a little too long on the Terrier, but still an improvement. The replica LMC couplings available elsewhere are too short  on the Terrier and allow very little movement. These couplings will probably be replaced by a coupling with just one hole but retaining the longer length.

The cost of replacing couplings very quickly becomes prohibitive because there are no economies of scale with such a small market. If there is sufficient interest Mr L. will be able reduce the cost, but not by very much.

I have looked at coupling bars for rakes of wagons but they seem to come with a lot of problems. My alternative to couplings was a hook and eye arrangement, along the lines of Hornby No. 20 wagons, but I never pursued it.

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

• Like 2

Good luck with the couplings project ...The *single links * as I tend to call them are very useful and less obtrusive than the ACE /Darstead type . However once removed , the latter are just the right length to replace Lionel *latch * couplings to make 1930s rolling stock compatible with UK types ..they fit straight in and just require a Hornby sized  rivet in the locating hole !    Bruce

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/10/2019 at 09:42, Nearholmer said:

I’m hoping to get enough to ‘do’ my Terriers, and I’m half thinking about making some coupler-bars to fit to my many six-wheeler coaches, to form semi-permanent rakes (sufficient couplers would work out a tad expensive!). I believe that the original Carette ones came with bars to connect the centre coach of three, rather than couplers, and may even have been permanently linked (the old adverts are ambiguous).

The problem with the Terriers is that there are screw heads in the path of the couplings when they move from side to side. Consequently the draw bar has to be bent to give the necessary clearance. The reduction in length of the drawbar on replica LMC couplings makes them too short, and reduces the available range of movement. I have looked again at my Terrier, which is a recent ETS 2-rail example, and found a solution for the front coupling at least. Using a slightly longer screw and a short length of plastic tube as a spacer gives just enough clearance for the drawbar to clear the head of the screw and provide the full range of movement. This doesn't work on the rear coupling because there is a dome headed self tapping screw in the way. You could possibly lose some more length at the rear with a bit of creative bending.

IMG_0147.JPG

• Thanks 1

To please customers and employees, some investments into infrustructure had to be done, new station building and signal box and adding a roof to the main platform:

pfh00563v7jf1.jpg

Just in time before the first snow the renovation of the station roof was finished:

pfh00570ugjyf.jpg

But there still are structures that need to be improved or replaced to make passengers happy:

pfh00565rhjdg.jpg

ThomasW

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

This was cobbled together from a very rough piece of island canopy bought for £8, it took a while for the light bulb moment to come but eventually I thought if dismantled it could be made to fit the Hornby wayside station. Below is a picture as purchased, I might be wrong but I think the frets may be of Scale Link origin anyway it was reassembled with a wooden roof in place of the metal one it came with and the stanchions/posts were sat on two nuts with captive washers. This made it stable and it sits comfortably under the station roof verge. It is now twice the length of the original.

1ED491B3-CD1E-4FE4-AD1B-E295FEEF8921.jpeg

CC99B7B2-CB82-4825-9471-C2B8A2F3D3E9.jpeg

• Like 4

Fresh from the paint shop is the latest addition to my modified Hornby Tinplate lineside accessories. I have never been overly keen on the colours used on the water towers, obviously designed to appeal to children as they were marketed as toys and whilst I wouldn’t modify anything that was in anything near acceptable condition, anything with dents  and rust is fair game. On this one the tank was heavily rusted and the base bent and distorted, I am tempted to keep this one in Matt grey primer as the imperfections are not so noticeable. The remains of the plastic water tubing are also shown this was replaced with a piece of heat shrink electrical insulation. The lid was made from thin ply and card and still needs a bit of fettling and the pull chain is fresh from a dip in rust remover and will be refitted shortly.965FC818-7837-4BAB-AC8F-D65BBEEA8211.jpeg.69f32a1c1c744b0d946a33562cd0164f.jpeg15A59F12-A620-4B80-852A-2DF6E7A1D49C.jpeg.3dabc9e0dcd29b44dfbd1e4dad8524a1.jpeg

965FC818-7837-4BAB-AC8F-D65BBEEA8211.jpeg

FB0A4F3F-C2D0-4795-9E30-9FB7ADB3F6B3.jpeg

0AF1DD7A-C7D5-4C1A-950E-200F2E7C6756.jpeg

0AF1DD7A-C7D5-4C1A-950E-200F2E7C6756.jpeg.a9afe8a7ba70dd1311cdbadc9277329f.jpeg

A59DDB94-DDA9-4209-814D-9F4CE9253C85.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Like 1

Great stuff.

I last refurbished and re-painted (green) my water tower c1971, and the chain has disappeared since, so it really needs another going over now; I will steal the idea of adding a cover, which I like a lot.

(Your cat doesn't drink jenolite, I hope)

• Like 1