• RMweb Premium

I understand your point, but I do think they are more believeable as 0-4-0Ts - following the transplant of an ETS mechanism in place of a failed clockwork.

My own version (see below) is an unmodified Hornby body on an 0-4-0 mechanism, with slightly larger wheels than the Terrier mech and the addition of an underskirt in blackened brass to manage the mismatch in mounting heights, provide a mounting for an "On-Off" switch and to avoid the see-through skeletal underframe look.

P1060785.jpg.bf2954ef85fd4e41e2cc5784c91cabe6.jpg

I just wish I had used a different coloured bit of spare wire between the switch and the motor terminal!

It suits me.

Regards

Chris H

P1060786.jpg

• Like 3

A final shot to show what is probably the best that can be achieved without modifying the body. Apart from the odd bit of extraneous daylight under the smoke box that is.

IMG_0321.JPG.13ae14e7b3136ad852715fed7bb2ba14.JPG

I think that is reasonable to say that it is possible to convert one of these Hornby 0-4-0's to an 0-6-0, but it isn't really worth the effort, unless ETS bring out a shorter wheel base drive unit. I actually got this for another, more appropriate body, but I will live with this for a while to see if it grows on me. I keep meaning to get some transfer to reapply the lining, perhaps that might help reduce the bulky appearance and improve the overall effect.

Michael.

Edited by goldfish
  • Like 4

On 25/10/2021 at 11:04, Metropolitan H said:

My own version (see below) is an unmodified Hornby body on an 0-4-0 mechanism, with slightly larger wheels than the Terrier mech and the addition of an underskirt in blackened brass to manage the mismatch in mounting heights, provide a mounting for an "On-Off" switch and to avoid the see-through skeletal underframe look.

That is a very nice conversion indeed. I particularly like the use of the push rod for the on/off switch. If the green wire offends you, how about going over it with a black marker pen.

Many steam locomotives are surprisingly skeletal, particularly when viewed on an embankment with a low winter sun behind them. With clockwork conversions I think the best idea is to reproduce the outline of the original mechanism. I keep looking at old clockwork motors and wondering if it would be easier to simply gut one and fit an electric motor and gearbox inside the casing. Slaters do 16mm NG wheels that would be suitable replacementm for the Hornby wheels.

Michael

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 14:49, Nearholmer said:

Have you seen this https://www.smallbrookstudio.uk/store/0-gauge-Hornby-No-1-101-Replacement-Battery-Chassis-Kit-p241665072 ?

He does another version of it with Slaters 16mm/ft wheels.

I had a long chat on the telephone with the proprietor about these. They look very interesting at first sight, but have one big drawback so far as I am concerned, you have to remove the chassis to replace the batteries. There are three versions of the chassis, but only one fit a Hornby body. Also with a 3V motor powered by 2 AA batteries it isn't going to be a a great performer.

There are a number of other self contained battery powered chassis available elsewhere, but the Smallbrook  studio offering is only one I have found that will fit a Hornby body.

Edit : I have since come across a chassis by Bole Laser Craft that could be modified to fit a Hornby body. It has a 12 volt micro motor and gearbox and is claimed to run happily on either a 6 or 9 volt battery.

https://bolelasercraft.com/product/greenbat-locomtive-chassis/

Edited by goldfish
Added url

• 2 months later...

The near simultaneous arrival of another private owner wagon and some goodies from Walsall Models prompts me to offer a comparison between the original private owner wagons and my smartened up version.

IMG_0341.JPG.e48fbfc9de52d0c43c1c68856f8ac80a.JPG

The original is on the left, and my version with a full width buffer beam and sprung drawbar couplings is on the left.

A similar improvement can be made by replacing the standard couplings with normal Leeds/LMC pattern couplings, but I think eliminating the slot in the buffer beam to be well worthwhile.

The partially converted new wagon provides a before and after image.

IMG_0340.JPG.682827d90c0d37b22069db06baf0d155.JPG

This sort of thing is highly subjective, but I very much prefer my version.

Ace Trains have announced a "Brilliantly Old Fashioned Revivals" Range of 4-4-0 Locomotives, which are claimed to be very close replicas. I wonder if they will fit their standard couplings, or offer something more like the original Hornby couplings.

Edited by goldfish
  • Like 1

I don’t know whether or not you’ve noticed, but Paul of WJV has had the better coupling fitted to the recently issued 16T mineral wagons. He is talking about standardising on it for all future commissions. 

Your campaign is bearing fruit!

18 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I don’t know whether or not you’ve noticed, but Paul of WJV has had the better coupling fitted to the recently issued 16T mineral wagons. He is talking about standardising on it for all future commissions. 

I didn't realise that the 16T mineral wagons had actually been released. There seems to a lot in the pipeline, but very little actually surfacing. That said, ETS is a small company reliant on their own suppliers, the fact that they have produced anything under the circumstances is quite an achievement.

• RMweb Premium

I understand that ETS, like the rest of Czech Republic, have been suffering very badly with the Covid virus - deaths per million are circa 1.5 times the UK numbers. Also they have been churning out diesels for ACE Trains - as well as working on the WJV Atlantics etc. I just hope they recover properly and grow from the experience.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - I too have been chaning couplers, but I do the simple change which is still worthwhile. My three milk tankers have shrunk by nearly 1.5 inches!

Before:

IMG_0556.jpg.601a88b31a9c729429fa69a8e2111d33.jpg

After:

IMG_0560.jpg.622408e38471d60c85be1b4fdff68b6e.jpg

Regards

CH

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

P.S. - I too have been chaning couplers, but I do the simple change which is still worthwhile. My three milk tankers have shrunk by nearly 1.5 inches!

Before:

I would would always recommend the simple change when it achieves the desired effect. The reduction in length is such that a rake of 11 private owner wagons with the Leeds/LMC pattern couplings is the same length as a rake of 10 with the original couplings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, goldfish said:

If you would like a longer rake of wagons you might be interested in this : -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304213989175?hash=item46d4911737:g:o2QAAOSwpd1hgB2A

No connection, just joining the dots.

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Thanks to drawing my attention to the ETS branded version of the SR "Express Dairy" tank - at what appears to be a reasonable price. The only problem is that my Dairy / Bottling plant siding on Gutter Lane is effectively full and the present "Milk Train" fits nicely on Gutter Lane - see below:

7375310_IMG_0562(2).jpg.a990bded238816232f1c6f7e9c8df410.jpg

I would still like a 4 wheel GWR Siphon "C" - to carry the churn / butter traffic alongside the tanks - I have a suitable underframe, but creating the louvred sides will take some effort and there are other priorities further up the list!

Regards

Chris H

• 3 weeks later...

Dorfan made locomotives and cars; I do not have any of their locomotives. Most of the Dorfan locomotives are not in running condition anymore because of metal fatique. So here the cars are pulled by American Flyer and Lionel locomotives.

Regards

Fred

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

One of the occasional drawbacks of clockwork is a spring failure. Usually they are just annoying, but sometimes they can be quite spectacular, like the one I suffered this morning.

IMG_0360.JPG.e897b5fc73c0680e8083ab2bedefdbf0.JPG

Somehow I don't think sort of thing goes well with the modern tendency to risk adverseness.

I like the Hornby No.30, it is one of the more reliable runners, if not the most powerful. This particular one has been in regular use with me for at least 5 years and until now has given sterling service. Fortunately I have another equally reliable one at hand, but I think a little lubrication might be in order before I run it again.

Update : A quick search through my box of bits of Hornby tinplate that might come in handy revealed a half forgotten No. 30 type motor missing its wheels and front axles, but with a good spring. So it is back up and running. Rather surprisingly, despite being explosively ripped open all the tabs survived intact.

Looking at the design of this motor, the cover plate on the bottom suggests that Hornby really don't want you to lubricate the spring.

Edited by goldfish
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Just had a very enjoyable afternoon at NAROGG, meeting for the first time in... oh, a long time at their new venue, Gretton village hall. 

Attendance 25 or so, pleasantly busy with the usual tea and cakes. 

No theme, but a wide variety from a Hak electric loco from Switzerland hauling a rake of Electren Wagons Lit and Pullmans, to a pre-War Hornby tinplate LNER Silver Arrow. Several Ace and Daersted locos (Patriots, a 9F, a Hall) hauling rakes of LMS or BR coaches. I took my MTH K4 with a set of K Line Pullmans and after some fiddling with the controls to stop the whistle blaring full-time on 12v DC it ran very nicely.

• Like 3

On 20/08/2022 at 11:25, goldfish said:

One of the occasional drawbacks of clockwork is a spring failure. Usually they are just annoying, but sometimes they can be quite spectacular, like the one I suffered this morning.

IMG_0360.JPG.e897b5fc73c0680e8083ab2bedefdbf0.JPG

Somehow I don't think sort of thing goes well with the modern tendency to risk adverseness.

I like the Hornby No.30, it is one of the more reliable runners, if not the most powerful. This particular one has been in regular use with me for at least 5 years and until now has given sterling service. Fortunately I have another equally reliable one at hand, but I think a little lubrication might be in order before I run it again.

Update : A quick search through my box of bits of Hornby tinplate that might come in handy revealed a half forgotten No. 30 type motor missing its wheels and front axles, but with a good spring. So it is back up and running. Rather surprisingly, despite being explosively ripped open all the tabs survived intact.

Looking at the design of this motor, the cover plate on the bottom suggests that Hornby really don't want you to lubricate the spring.

Prototype for everything ...

_.jpeg.88554e6903aaa069a64f270fedc807bd.jpeg

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

No theme, but a wide variety from a Hak electric loco from Switzerland hauling a rake of Electren Wagons Lit and Pullmans, 

Some continental European makes are not too wellknown. I assume it was a Hag locomotive with a rake of Elettren cars. Those who want to know more about Elettren, I made a free to download e-book about this brand: http://sncf231e.nl/elettren/

Hag only made electric outline locomotives (Swiss prototypes) which I am not very interested in, so I cannot tell you more about these, but I can show you one (my brother's) running in my garden:

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

Some continental European makes are not too wellknown. I assume it was a Hag locomotive with a rake of Elettren cars. Those who want to know more about Elettren, I made a free to download e-book about this brand: http://sncf231e.nl/elettren/

Hag only made electric outline locomotives (Swiss prototypes) which I am not very interested in, so I cannot tell you more about these, but I can show you one (my brother's) running in my garden:

Regards

Fred

That's the one. 

Coaches

20221018_152656.jpg.03eae3b25cc0cf5989db9a7b121d13c7.jpg20221018_152650.jpg.2f148a04f197dd57c03205edab6d25db.jpg

Didn't get a good pic of the loco but here it is, side by side with my K4 and the Hornby Silver Jubilee

20221018_145319.jpg.b5ab30e1d71a2ba878217d7220d61d30.jpg

• Like 2