Photo board/landscaping practice

lightengine

My 1st attempt to make a photo board. Not sure it is high enough or even that the base is wide enough. It is ok for 1 track though. Being t & g board I could always add another.

I used a piece of ply to make a back board and glued polystyrene to it and to the baseboard. This was then covered in plaster moulding gauze and when dry it will be primed.

Stratigraphic rock formation halfway along was formed by folding the gauze on itself several times. This will be painted differently to the rest.

The backboard showing at the far end will represent either walling or fencing or another alternative finish.

Any suggestions on suitable sizes of board are welcome.

post-19606-0-00987400-1396742304_thumb.jpg

You'll get hooked on the scenery :sungum: . Add some very watered black for shadows, very thin in multiple layers adds some nice colour, and a dash of terracotta (brown/red) might be worth considering, and try more than one shade of green in the same texture. Great start.

You'll get hooked on the scenery :sungum: . Add some very watered black for shadows, very thin in multiple layers adds some nice colour, and a dash of terracotta (brown/red) might be worth considering, and try more than one shade of green in the same texture. Great start.

Thanks Jaz,

I used 2 greens but I think they are too close in colour to show too much.

The grey central geolgical bit is far too dark and I have not done it as I wanted, so I will go back to that.

Not sure what to use for ballast yet.

LE

The rule of thumb on track is if you model 00 go N for bought ballast. You need a couple of fallen rocks too, the plaster cast will do it, or you can put model plaster into a bought rubber mold is scrunch up tin foil...I did this when i made too much when making some for a mild and was quite pleased with the result.

You made a much better effort of filling the give away holes than i did on AV closeup of our early work is littered with them.

The rule of thumb on track is if you model 00 go N for bought ballast. You need a couple of fallen rocks too, the plaster cast will do it, or you can put model plaster into a bought rubber mold is scrunch up tin foil...I did this when i made too much when making some for a mild and was quite pleased with the result.

You made a much better effort of filling the give away holes than i did on AV closeup of our early work is littered with them.

Hi Jaz, I tried with the fabric holes but even so they still show through, next time will be better. I mixed some polyfilla (from a tube) with some water and mixed it to a fairly watery consistency. I actually only brushed it on after I had started painting. Even the watery consistency filled the holes ok. Next time I will use it a bit thicker maybe pre colouring it as well.Bought some more plaster fabric yesterday at 50p a roll, on offer.

Re rocks I often find great looking ones on the beach and have thought of using them as mould makers. Good mould making video I saw some time ago using basic DIY stuff to make really good flexible moulds, so I will attempt that soon. Although for a small scenic area I guess some well placed small 'real' rocks wont weigh too much.

I collected some sand/gravel from the beach to use as scree etc but it involves picking out shell pieces. I wonder if it cannot be used as ballast as well. Obviously for the rivet counters each grain will be rounded (as it is sea washed) and will not be angular as ballast usually is but it should look ok. The bags of ballast that were in the station car park a few weeks ago were pink granite and grey granite. The beach sediment contains loads of it.

LE

we have used some pink granite on our layout, thieved from when we were laying it down outside. Then attempting to match the colours. You know you done well when no one notices :sungum:

I often take it as a serious compliment when people do NOT notice these things LMAO.

The important thing is you are referring to the real stuff. The thing most good modellers say (so I try to follow in their footsteps) is do NOT do it from your imagination do it from a reference picture, and with todays google engines you can get loads. When I want something specific I will use several different engines bing Google etc carry a lot of duplicate bUT there are odd ones only on one so worth it when you want something unusual.

Happy hunting with the materials ;)

Archived