Little Point

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Sounds feasible,

What is the point.?

Are you planning on building this, or is it just up for discussion.

Little Tedium would result if this was up to your usual standards.

However Many Points may be raised in the construction, and should anyone take offence, Needle Point ,may occur'

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

This modelling is great as ever but the back story just adds a whole new dimension for me.  Fantastic entertainment.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

What a delightful scene! The loco looks suitably sad to find itself in the reduced circumstances of its surroundings. As always, Neil, the textures that you produce in the scenic work are quite stunning. The timbers in the broken pier have just the look of old, sea-battered wood.

As has been commented, the back story is a lovely scene-setter. The concept of the 'Schadenfreude' setting out from the Belgian port of Ennui really made me giggle.

David

• RMweb Premium

The Flounder, watering hole of choice for wooden leg salesmen, parrot vendors and the eye patch manufacturers of the east coast, has long been a Little Point landmark. Popular with the fishing community, the remoteness of the inn saw it become the centre for many a shady deal involving cargoes from the continent conveniently bypassing the revenue men. Often the line between fisherman and smuggler became very blurred. The naval interest in Little Point, cramped the style of these entrepreneurs of the high seas until it was realised that flag signalling couldn’t work during the hours of darkness and consequently no night watch was kept.

post-6793-0-65360100-1397379203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neil
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The Little Point Tramway boasts one named train, an unofficial one you understand, but a non-stop service at that. The Flying Flotsam runs daily or at least on days when weather conditions allow the fishing fleet to cast off and cast around for shoals of herring. It’s thought that the service was christened in 1924 when another east coast railway company inaugurated it’s own non-stop service. Like the Kings Cross to Edinburgh express speed is of the essence to the Flying Flotsam; the bloater paste factory in Great Tedium require their ingredients to be as fresh as possible.

attachicon.giflittlepoint 59.jpg

I really think you should write a book, putting all this wonderful fancy down for posterity. If the Rev. W. Awdry can get away with it - and deservedly so, so can you!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An unfamiliar face appeared at The Flounder this morning, and a young one at that. Searching for The Unicorn, he was directed to the hostelry of that name close by the far terminus of the tramway in Great Tedium by the Landlady. 'There's no trains running today, so just follow the tracks' was the suggestion, adding cheerily 'your little dog will enjoy the walk too'.

post-6793-0-10392200-1398952635.jpg

'Funny,' she said later to her husband, 'he looked a bit too young to be interested in ale, and I couldn't place his accent but he's certainly not from these parts'.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Blue blistering barnacles, now there's something I never thought I'd see on a model railway!

I'm big fan of what you have done with Little Point. Somehow you've managed to build a poem in model form. Or a hazy memory, or whatever it is that lives in the space between what is real and not so real. I also like the balance you strike between taking the modelling seriously but not too seriously  :)

• Like 2

...following on from my last comment, one wonders whom the lad met whence got to the pub. Or whom had had hoped to meet, for the door was open but the normally attentive staff were missing, seemingly having abandoned a lunchtime as pots of ale sat unfinished on the bar and tables, a cloth left absent mindedly on a tap and cigarettes (for this is the real world) burned in anticipation of their owners' return. The small dog sniffed suspiciously at the cellar door but, called to heel, did so with an air of disgruntlement.

"I've been waiting for you" said a gravelly, yet mellifluous voice from the glare of the noonday sun filing the doorway. "He said you would be here." The boy turned, a little startled that anyone would have been waiting for him, but for her, any man would have waited a lifetime..."

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...