Any need for catch points here?

I have a question or two about my proposed trackwork and signalling, which I first aired in this :-

Woodbine Grove

I realise that there may be more relevance in this permanent way sub-forum, so I'm asking again here. Please refer to the other thread for plans etc.

Question - Should this have catch points at the ends of the loop, or would the bay road and the shunting neck perform that function on the prototype?

Question - The section break at the crossover occurs at the baseboard join, which I know is absolutely not recommended by C.J.Freezer, for obvious accidental electrical contact reasons. Yet it has to be there, so how can I insulate the tracks from accidental contact across the divide?

I have a question or two about my proposed trackwork and signalling, which I first aired in this :-

Woodbine Grove

I realise that there may be more relevance in this permanent way sub-forum, so I'm asking again here. Please refer to the other thread for plans etc.

Question - Should this have catch points at the ends of the loop, or would the bay road and the shunting neck perform that function on the prototype?

Question - The section break at the crossover occurs at the baseboard join, which I know is absolutely not recommended by C.J.Freezer, for obvious accidental electrical contact reasons. Yet it has to be there, so how can I insulate the tracks from accidental contact across the divide?

My view is that the shunting neck and bay provide adequate protection and there is no need for a catch point.

To provide insulation on the rail ends at the section break smear the rail ends with Araldite, or similarproduct. All to set well before attempting to assemble the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Woodbine Grove

The bay and the shunting neck form the traps so you don't need anything else. But you need to remember that one end of the slips involved forms part of a crossover.

• RMweb Gold

Which board joint ? - I can't see one on your plan where the break has to be on the joint :blink:

If a bay was to be used for passenger trains would the line to it also be part of the yard?

In this scenario the line to the bay is not protected from wagons rolling out of the yard and fouling the double slip with a catch point at the 2 foot marker.

You are right, it isn't - but I think the track arrangement would have been different giving better access to the main from the bay without crossing the yard. If that track to the right is a branch line then I thinkn there would also have been a different arrangement.

2 foot marker

surely you mean 2m ? I thought this was EM.

It's a lot easier of you post the plan here

Sorry, thought I might be saving some space on the server?

Which board joint ?

There is a join at 1m and 2m, not clear on trackplan, as the key colour doesn't show up.

If a bay was to be used for passenger trains would the line to it also be part of the yard?

I see it not as a passenger bay, just storage/brake, as in David Griffin's 'Upton'. The track to the right is a shunting neck only.

However, the possibility of it being a branch bay in the original I hadn't thought of, as it wasn't mentioned as such in Noel Coates' book. The original layout would allow that, but it would mean losing the onstage loop runaround.

If I wanted to nevertheless keep my track layout AND regard the bay as a passenger bay for a branch further down the mainline, would a catch point at 2m be sufficient as per Woodenhead's suggestion? (if suggestion it was) or would the Inspector have something caustic to say about it? I'd like to keep it as it is with the added excitement of a branch train if I can, but not at the expense of ridicule!

post-8136-1264601503542_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The electrical joint does not have to be on the board joint, personally I would not rely on a board joint, if it's portable then araldite, or indeed anything will eventually get broken off and one day the joint will be made ...

Considering your idea to have the bay as a passenger - how do you envisage it being accessed ? - there is no "straight into" connection so it can only be entered by shunting, so no use for a passenger arrival. Departures would be fine of course and then the trap points mentioned for the yard would be required, but so would additional signalling and has been suggested it's more likely the bay would trail off the main line rather than be accessed via the yard.

hth

Considering your idea to have the bay as a passenger - how do you envisage it being accessed ? - there is no "straight into" connection so it can only be entered by shunting, so no use for a passenger arrival. Departures would be fine of course and then the trap points mentioned for the yard would be required, but so would additional signalling and has been suggested it's more likely the bay would trail off the main line rather than be accessed via the yard.

Yes, I see the problems now. It'll have to stay as a storage road. Any other option would be unnecessary complication. Anything branchy terminating here would have had to use the Up and Down platforms.

The electrical joint does not have to be on the board joint,

Kenton also had some things to say about the electrics on the other thread, enough for me to realise that I need some more self-education on the subject, which I will do and then post my updated thoughts on the electrical sub-thread thingy.

Archived