Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Penhale Camp - July 1940 - An ethical dilemma

• RMweb Gold

I have been documenting my fictional history of the Treamble Mines and Penhale Camp in order to justify a military siding on the layout, which is set in January 1940.

Research today has shown that in July 1940, the camp was partly occupied by service men who were recuperating from the evacuation at Dunkirk. A lone bomber, probably looking for St Eval, dropped four bombs on the camp. Twenty two personnel were killed, with many more injured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-10672567

http://perranporthveteransmissing.wordpress.com/penhale-camp-bombing-photos-and-memorabilia/

In making this layout, what I don't want to do with my light-hearted and fictional account of the camp and its influence on the nearby railway, is upset or trivialise the camp, or those who tragically lost their lives.

What do other members think ?

• RMweb Premium

I'd go for trying to set the scene as it would have been. If it's likely that there would have been fun occurring then include it. I personally don't think that you need to make any comment about the events that happened in July on the layout, just make sure that your operators aware of the events and that they can talk about them if needed (I suspect that they won't need to). 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stu,

There seem to be a few layouts that deal sensitively around the issues of war or terror, for example some that show the effects of the blitz, Belfast during the 'troubles', or are specifically portraying preparations for D-Day.  I think, though, as long as they are handled in tasteful fashion then there should not be an issue, in which case I think you have nothing to worry about.

As for folk talking about the bombing of the camp I think that Kris (previous post) is spot on in his comments.

Please keep on with the project and the good work.

Regards,

Alex.

I think we are being a bit oversensitive and mawkish here, but then I am a wargamer as well as a railway modeller. It's not as if you are modelling the crater and casualties,and the chances of someone directly affected with the events seeing the model or reading the account are vanishingly small.

It's a bit like a ship modeller being uncomfortable about modelling HMS Hood, or HMS Prince of Wales or HMS Barham, or the Titanic etc, etc.

History is history, you cannot change it and we are not responsible for it. Just do not try to make light of it or hide the facts. I was not aware of this event and feel better and more comfortable in now knowing something of it. That really is the whole point of history, bringing events of the past into the perspective and awareness of the present.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stu.

If you haven't seen this:  G. Balfour's The Armoured Train: Its development and Usage, chapter 8, Armoured Trains A-M: England, 1940, mentions Armoured Train D, stationed at Wadebridge, making a patrol via Newquay and Chacewater once a week by the end of October.  In July 1941, Train D moved east and Train A came in from Devon to serve the Wadebridge - Perranporth - Newquay area (chapter 12, Armoured Trains A-M, 1941).  All a bit late for your layout but it does continue the war history, and the bombings, such as those at Penhale, show why the area was eventually patrolled.

I have seen several excellent war based layouts at exhibition and it is these that inspired interest on the NCR, specifically Wadebridge-Padstow.  Anyway, I wish you every success with your layout, just get stuck in there and it'll all work out for you. 

For those unfamiliar with war traffic, like me, there's a pic of the armoured train halfway down this page @ http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/

Polly

• RMweb Premium

When Displaying the Layout, Have a sign saying in memory of those who Died...

I'm sure that a display board on the side of the layout, giving some details, and perhaps a poppy attached to it - and pointing out that the layout pre-dates the tragedy - would be very acceptable. Whatever you do, someone will find fault, and not be happy!

You could simply display contact details for the Royal British Legion amongst any display of prototype photos or line history. I personally find displays of "dedicated to..." and poppies (away from war memorials and/or the appropriate time of year) and the such like rather mawkish, but that's just me.

The only people who will object will be people who weren't there, trying to pretend that they speak for the men who survived (he said, with absolutely nothing to back up his assertion other than a hunch born out of a lifetime people-watching).

I'm sure that a display board on the side of the layout, giving some details, and perhaps a poppy attached to it - and pointing out that the layout pre-dates the tragedy - would be very acceptable. Whatever you do, someone will find fault, and not be happy!

I quite agree, build the layout as the camp would have been before the attack but have a notice displayed on the layout explaining that is what you have done and giving brief details of the incident, loss of life etc and perhaps a link to relevant source of info and / or the Legion. In the unlikley event that a survivior or relative from that period sees the layout, they will get an insight into conditions \ appearance as it was but also for everyone, a sombre reminder of the history of the camp, war and the impact on people without being offensive.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to everyone who has posted.

Just to clarify - I'm not actually modelling the camp itself - I've invented a reason to include the camp in the supporting history of the layout.

I was quite happy to play with the Penhale Camp idea as a secret SOE training establishment in 1940, and use the new siding at Treamble as an excuse to run some distinctly non-GWR / mine traffic.  

The discovery of the tragedy at the camp later in the same year concerned me that I might upset a few who remember - obviously being a local layout the chances of that are more likely.

But, and again thanks for your support, I think that an epitaph to the planned information, as Jack suggested, will be a suitable solution.

Thanks also to Polly - I had no idea about any armoured trains running along the Chacewater - Newquay line, especially with an LNER loco, so this has possibilities for an unusual train to be modelled.

Stubby - also remember that it was not unknown for aircraft that had not been able to locate their intended target, to simply select a group of buildings in the countryside, a farm or similar and "dump" their bombload to lighten the aircraft and give them more chance of returning to base - they may never have realised that they had bombed an army camp - and it was purely a tragic, un-intentional, and unfortunate accident that they hit a recovery unit.

Stubby - also remember that it was not unknown for aircraft that had not been able to locate their intended target, to simply select a group of buildings in the countryside, a farm or similar and "dump" their bombload to lighten the aircraft and give them more chance of returning to base - they may never have realised that they had bombed an army camp - and it was purely a tragic, un-intentional, and unfortunate accident that they hit a recovery unit.

While I agree this is but one possible scenario, speculation on the motives, rationale or justification for the event serves no purpose. It may have even been deliberate. War is nasty and actions during conflicts are difficult to rationalise. The enemy could well have seen this as an opportunity, they were soldiers not civilians (as if there can be even some distinction between them).

It remains just another one of those tragic events that deserves some remembrance.

All of this is news to me. As an army cadet in 1990, I spent two weeks annual camp at Penhale, and it was just another MOD camp.

Same, I did two 'summer camps' at Penhale nearly 10 years ago now and it was just another slightly delapidated army camp, there were no signs of any bombing nor was there any memorial in the camp itself.

I don't think it'll cause any problems, afterall plenty of locos have been involved in fatal accidents and whilst many build models of the Rocket few pay tribute to William Huskisson...

Archived