Signalling help, c1900

I have a question or two about my proposed trackwork and signalling, which I first aired in this :-

Woodbine Grove

I realise that there may be more relevance in this signalling sub-forum, so I'm asking again here. Please refer to the other thread for plans etc.

Signalling -

I have put the signal box where it is for scenic purposes. I know it would usually be on the other side of the tracks but I need the space for other things. Would it ever be permitted to be where I put it?

Would all the points on the layout at this period be worked from the SB or would some be worked from ground frames, and if so, which ones would be which?

What signals would be where?

I have tried to work it out by googling about, but I think someone who has some expertise already could save me a lot of headache!

• RMweb Gold

I have a question or two about my proposed trackwork and signalling, which I first aired in this :-

Woodbine Grove

I realise that there may be more relevance in this signalling sub-forum, so I'm asking again here. Please refer to the other thread for plans etc.

Signalling -

I have put the signal box where it is for scenic purposes. I know it would usually be on the other side of the tracks but I need the space for other things. Would it ever be permitted to be where I put it?

Would all the points on the layout at this period be worked from the SB or would some be worked from ground frames, and if so, which ones would be which?

What signals would be where?

I have tried to work it out by googling about, but I think someone who has some expertise already could save me a lot of headache!

1. Signalbox location is perfectly ok.

2. All points in the running lines or on connections leading to the running lines should be worked by the signal box, the points in the sidings would be handpoints. No need for ground frames as everything is more than close enough to the 'box.

3. As far as signalling is concerned would you like it to be 'up to the minute' for the period you are modelling (and n.b. I'm not an expert on L&Y signalling although I know a little about it - Beast might know more?).

Thanks Stationmaster, for your replies here and elsewhere. Questions 1 & 2 resolved.

I can see that question 3 is somewhat particular to the company and period, and I have the L&Y Society book on signalling which gives me help on the details. It's the general principles of what would be required by the Inspectorate for this application that I'm not sure of, in terms of :-

1. firstly, controlling traffic in and out of the platforms, where would the posts have to be?

2. secondly, access/exit to/from the yard to the Up and Down lines, again as above, or would they be ground signals?

3. and thirdly, movement within the yard, would any signals be required anywhere?

I have a couple of photos of Rose Grove in 1897-8 which vaguely show some signals, but the layout wasn't quite as I've got it and I'm not sure what they are for, so I can't just copy those blindly.

Archived