19 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

I didn't know that hoovers had worked that route. Thanks :)

That was during the "interesting" Anglia Railways period when the 50 and a Deltic were based at Crown Point. The 50 was due to be used on a Felixstowe-Minehead excursion the following weekend, so they put it out on the Yarmouth run to check it was OK for the following weekend. It was..........until it failed fairly spectacularly at Hatfield Peverel on the way back from Minehead to Felixstowe!

I knew nothing about this operation to Yarmouth beforehand and was amazed to see it leave Norwich that morning as my train from Ipswich pulled in. The 50 was in addition to the booked 47 services running to Yarmouth that day as well.

The Deltic saw some use on London-Norwich services, and they also hired the preserved Hastings unit for normal services for a period.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

That was during the "interesting" Anglia Railways period when the 50 and a Deltic were based at Crown Point. The 50 was due to be used on a Felixstowe-Minehead excursion the following weekend, so they put it out on the Yarmouth run to check it was OK for the following weekend. It was..........until it failed fairly spectacularly at Hatfield Peverel on the way back from Minehead to Felixstowe!

Lesson - testing eats into the mileage before next casualty. If they hadn't used it on the Yarmouth run it would probably have made it back to Felixstowe....

What was the reason for failure?

Main generator and/or traction motor flashover would be my guess......

Dave

7 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Lesson - testing eats into the mileage before next casualty. If they hadn't used it on the Yarmouth run it would probably have made it back to Felixstowe....

What was the reason for failure?

Main generator and/or traction motor flashover would be my guess......

Dave

I can't remember exactly, but there was oil everywhere on the loco , so engine related rather than anything electrical - possibly threw a piston.

It was being "pushed" fairly well on the way back, with a notable high speed run on the section from Reading through to Acton, where it joined the North London Line.

Photo c/o Jim Hardwick, taken from the signalbox, 50 007 coming off the Cov branch at Leamington Spa on 20th March 1982... the 'box and the Ford foundry are now gone and the field sidings in the vee of the junction have long since been disconnected from the mainline...

VAC 50 007 L.SPA 200382 JIM HARDWICK.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

An elderly Pocket Instamatic photo of 50 041 on Doncaster Shed - 12th June 1977.

Presumably awaiting movement into Doncaster Works for refurbishment?

BR79.jpg.29197d6b68c0c5d824732e3675de453b.jpg

It received domino headcodes and was named before it got refurbished. Possibly an F exam or something major as the roof colour looks odd beyond the second exhaust port.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Surprised these haven't been posted already.

They appeared on my LinkedIn feed this afternoon.

image.png.98234a6405b9e6de88a1e8b983d968d5.png

image.png.b9885ebb77632633b60e46452ea56fb9.png

There are two more pictures on LinkedIn but for some reason these just "queue" and don't upload.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

Loads of pics flying around on Facebook, think the old girls have scrubbed up well :sungum:

They seemed to go on a test run last night all over the place, Waterloo, Chessington, Reading and Basingstoke to name a few places...........

Well done to the Class 50 Fund and GBRf.

Of interest to those that don't know, 50007 is half masquerading as 50014 Warspite

• Informative/Useful 2