• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Both pictures are great but the second one is absolutely brilliant......A great capture

Jim

I really like them both, but I prefer the first one, I think it's an absolute belter !!

Wouldn't do for us all to be the same now would it. :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Delving into my photo archives produced 50017 'Royal Oak' in Network SouthEast livery at London Waterloo.  The image is scanned from one of my slides and is undated, but best estimate would be late 80s/very early90s, before class 159s took over on services to Salisbury and Exeter.

464333984_50017LondonWaterloo198-RMweb.jpg.0e6f1d31e330ce8fe2dc8b1c7e4e463a.jpg

Edited by 4630
to reflect info from brushman47544 in a later post
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 4630 said:

Delving into my photo archives produced 50017 'Royal Oak' in Network SouthEast livery at London Waterloo.  The image is scanned from one of my slides and is undated, but best estimate would be late 80s/very early90s, before class 159s took over on services to Salisbury and Exeter.

464333984_50017LondonWaterloo198-RMweb.jpg.0e6f1d31e330ce8fe2dc8b1c7e4e463a.jpg

there are photos of 50017 on the web in late 1990 and at that time the two paint chip area on the cab (central above the headlight and at the end of the red stripe) hadn't yet appeared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

there are photos of 50017 on the web in late 1990 and at that time the two paint chip area on the cab (central above the headlight and at the end of the red stripe) hadn't yet appeared.

Thanks for the info. Andrew, that's helpful.

That timeframe makes sense as some of the slides in the box that I scanned were of class 485s on the Isle of Wight, which were in their final months and that I'd made a specific visit to photograph, probably on one of NSE's 'Network Days'.  I imagine that 50017 was at Waterloo on my arrival from Portsmouth Harbour and merited a photo to finish off the film in the camera. 

A friend sent me this and asked if I could ID the loco. It was taken (by my friend) in Dec ‘81 or Jan ‘82 from Chelvey Bridge just west of Nailsea en route to Yatton and Weston-super-Mare. (His description, I don’t know the area at all).

Anyone have an inkling about which Hoover this might be? Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. 

3F4119AC-1CAC-4974-9D55-EEB610D0877F.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That last digit looks like a 6. If so, then it could well be 50036, as that was one of two with number ending in 6 which had been refurbished by that point (the other being 006, but I am not sure when it was painted in large logo livery, or when it got the odd handrail on the cab front). 50016 was outshopped in Jan 82, but I suspect wouldn't have had time to get that mucky in a couple of weeks (if the photo was taken in late Jan 82).

Edit: Just seen a picture of 50006 dated April 1982, still in all over blue.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Premium

My one piece of outdoor exercise today involved walking onto the deserted platform at Swinton about half an hour ago.

Just happened to coincide with the passing of this-

IMG_21942.JPG.6097738510e607200119cb1cd5a69960.JPG

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

That last digit looks like a 6. If so, then it could well be 50036, as that was one of two with number ending in 6 which had been refurbished by that point (the other being 006, but I am not sure when it was painted in large logo livery, or when it got the odd handrail on the cab front). 50016 was outshopped in Jan 82, but I suspect wouldn't have had time to get that mucky in a couple of weeks (if the photo was taken in late Jan 82).

Found this later image of 50036, and it does seem to have a similar staining/defect on the logo

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/452877/CC

Dave

• Agree 1

On 24/03/2020 at 16:37, Richard Croft said:

Here are a few photo's I've had of 50's

48221862791_3244f0b348_o.jpg

47742082482_e55111cff2_o.jpg

That was a cracking line up in that convoy to the KWVR, pity i didnt manage a trip on the HST but went hunting for the 50 up a dodgy path to find the 50 and scrambled up the banking to the fence, driver wandered up and started it up just after the HST screamed up the hill, good day was that!

20190504_171136.jpg.671c87678b6470e8c9b62d00f62d346d.jpg20190504_171909.jpg.5d9c84d56a39380f8d4ed6a482a35e2e.jpg

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 8

I've never been a fan of the Class 50s (Do I hear cries of heretic!!) probably because I never saw one when I was a kid, but living in Manchester I've always been fascinated by pictures of them when they were on the WCML and its environs and pre-refurb, so I've been searching out Flickr pics of them.....

Apologies if any of these have already been posted.

50034Preston7-7-75

Class 50 50034 Preston 1974.

I love this pic as it features two of them passing, parcel stock and some maroon passenger stock.

D419_nrPreston_10-10-70

70 181 August 1970 Preston Brook D434

Class 50 diesel No 430

English Electric Type 4 Class 50 nos. 429 and 444 double-heading 1M20 (Euston express)

This one at Carlisle is interesting (to me at least) mainly because of the Coffy Johnny stickers on the DMU. I'd never heard of him or seen these stickers before but apparently he was famous bare knuckle boxer in the North East.

English Electric Type 4 Class 50 no. 445 on 1P38 (Euston stopping) beside a Tynerail DMU

Carlisle 1971

New loco, new wagons, new yard...

D448

• Like 15

39 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I've never been a fan of the Class 50s (Do I hear cries of heretic!!) probably because I never saw one when I was a kid, but living in Manchester I've always been fascinated by pictures of them when they were on the WCML and its environs and pre-refurb, so I've been searching out Flickr pics of them.....

Carlisle 1971

New loco, new wagons, new yard...

D448

That would make a lovely model in any scale given the room...! It looks the very epitomy of modernity for 1971 and pre-Tops 'as built' 50s seem to be seldom modelled... ;)

• Agree 1

On 18/12/2019 at 17:14, Rugd1022 said:

I really do miss driving these, I have so many happy and quite vivid memories of thrashing them out of Padd, a bit naughty really but I was but a lad, encouraged by many an old hand 'not to be frit of it'. When in good fettle they just flew down the Thames Valley on the Oxfords and Newburys. Even better though were the Summer Saturday relief jobs down the B&H as far as Exeter, a quick trip to the chippie down the road then back up to London with another as fast as we could, within reason. Sigh.... ;)

I have fond memories of seeing these when I was a nipper and sometimes even travelling on them, a particular delight finding some corridor mk. 1 stock to ride on from Reading to Oxford and/or back.

I am currently building a substantial layout in N gauge set in 1989 which will represent the latter days of the class 50s in the Thames valley.

• Like 4

36 years and one day ago, 50039 on the only loco-hauled train to Wolverhampton from Paddington via High Wycombe, pictured here at Princes Risborough. It had headed this service for 4 consecutive days and on this day, it failed briefly at Princes Risborough only to splutter into life 10 minutes later. It then returned on the 8.23 morning service back up to Paddington the next day.

Scan 8.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2020 at 19:27, montyburns56 said:

I've never been a fan of the Class 50s (Do I hear cries of heretic!!) probably because I never saw one when I was a kid

im the same, never been a huge fan of them, saw plenty as a kid but only ever had a ride behind one of them between reading and london Paddington and back, 50024 ‘vanguard’ 

I’ve driven one mainline, 50049, nice to say I have done that but I’d prefer a class 47 anyway! (Runs for cover), if I learn them through work then brilliant but if I don’t then so be it, must admit I struggled with the door between the clean air end and engine bay, far tighter than any class 37 fan end I’ve had to squeeze through 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, big jim said:

@montyburns56 do you have locations for your pics above, I know the first one is crewe but I can’t place the rest 

There are a couple at Glasgow. I think the shed is Polmadie and the "long" shot is north of Preston?

The previous Monty pics include Preston and Carlisle

Edited by newbryford