So, here's a question.  I think the Milks from Dolcoath, St Erth, Loswithiel, Totnes, Torrington stopped in 1979 - 1980 ?  So is it fair to say that it was never hauled by a refurb 50 ?

Any of the sages on here know ?

Best regards

Matt W

Edited by D826

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, D826 said:

So, here's a question.  I think the Milks from Dolcoath, St Erth, Loswithiel, Totnes, Torrington stopped in 1979 - 1980 ?  So is it fair to say that it was never hauled by a refurb 50 ?

Any of the sages on here know ?

Best regards

Matt W

So here’s an answer. The last milk train out of St.Erth ran on March 31st 1980 and was hauled by 50017 Royal Oak. Although it had been refurbished, it was still in BR blue and hadn’t yet had its headlight fitted. 

Regards,

A.Sage :laugh_mini2:

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

Thank you A Sage aka Western Aviator.  I think Kevin (Rivercider's) image of 50 019 Ramilles, shows just how smart and classy they looked in Rail blue when clean.  I thought large logo was gaudy when it came along, so you can imagine my apoplectic reaction to some post privatisation liveries.  

Was the milk from St Erth the last one from Cornwall ?

Cheers

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 1

While having a sort out I found some photos taken by my late brother Steve Redwood.

He did not take notes, but from other photos on the film I know this is either 28th August 1978 or more likely 25th August 1979. 

I have asked the question elsewhere, can anyone identify this class 50 arriving at Plymouth.

1538263997_Plymouth50038query..jpg.ea00ddb2ec6d4bc3c4ce438b726c15fa.jpg

SJR 28/8/78 or 25/8/79

cheers

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

On first inspection I thought it was 50018 Resolution but after a bit more comparison with other photos taken at the time I’m fairly sure it’s 50038 Formidable. I’m basing this on the nameplate lettering “pattern” and the right hand white dot on the headcode panel is slightly higher than the one on the left. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

On first inspection I thought it was 50018 Resolution but after a bit more comparison with other photos taken at the time I’m fairly sure it’s 50038 Formidable. I’m basing this on the nameplate lettering “pattern” and the right hand white dot on the headcode panel is slightly higher than the one on the left. 

Those were my thoughts exactly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

Thanks guys.

From my own notes I see we went to the Plymouth Navy Days 3 years in a row. Each time I noted a 50 at Plymouth before we set off home. It could not be 1977 as no 50s were named then, so was either 1978 or 1979.

I noted 50038 at Plymouth before we set off home in 1979.  

I posted on the Devon Diesels fb group and they came to the same conclusion, so it was probably taken on 25/8/79. 

cheers

On 16/01/2021 at 03:10, Neil Phillips said:

the subject is now a permanent resident of Cornwall, less than 10 miles away from this spot

How about 10 miles closer and 10 years after your photo? Literally, not the band.

50042 Triumph at Bodmin Parkway with 1C31, the 10:27 Paddington to Penzance service on 30th July 1984.

Large logo? Black roof? What's not to like? Still my favourite.

50042_1C31_10.27_Paddington_to_Penzance_at_Bodmin_Parkway_30th_July_1984.jpg

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, 46011 said:

How about 10 miles closer and 10 years after your photo? Literally, not the band.

50042 Triumph at Bodmin Parkway with 1C31, the 10:27 Paddington to Penzance service on 30th July 1984.

Large logo? Black roof? What's not to like? Still my favourite.

50042_1C31_10.27_Paddington_to_Penzance_at_Bodmin_Parkway_30th_July_1984.jpg

Nice going, I think you've probably just won any contest to photograph 50042 nearest the BWR without it actually being on the BWR! :good: 

Unless somebody photted it on an up train at Bodmin Parkway, but that would be splitting hairs!!

Edited by Neil Phillips
Spotted a technicality!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That first shot today has got some interesting details, Nidge. There’s a short rake of coaches in the old platform 7 bay which was unusual. I seem to recall you could get a 6 car DMU in there with all doors on the platform so by the look of it there can only be five coaches there, or four if there’s a loco on the blocks. Also, the class 33 (or is it two?) on the down goods is fairly unusual. Presumably snow disruption is to blame. And there’s quite a bit of scaffolding around the panel box. I’m not sure why that would be and very few of the chaps that worked in there 40 years ago will still be around now to ask. Good to see the snow hasn’t put off a decent number of spotters from turning out. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't noticed those background details when I posted it, all I saw was the 50 and the snow!

This is one of Anthony Middleton's shots from his native Coventry, he later became a driver at Old Oak and drives some of the heritage stuff on the mainline, including the 50s and D1015 'Western Champion', this is 50 008 passing Memorial Park on the outskirts of Coventry in 1987....

804820189_VAC50008COVMEMPK1987MIDI.jpg.82fb3434ba6e20b2b4383d8e74db8d56.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 17

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It certainly has more than a resemblance to departmental grey livery. I think it looks very smart.

I like the fact the 50s are being painted in 'modern' liveries (such as GBRf)... they are still relevant working machines, not just museum pieces.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

50008 has had a new coat of paint and been on a test run today

Yep, to Salisbury dragging a 67, turned via Laverstock and the 67 brought it into the station and Thunderer led back to Eastleigh 

94E2A5BE-661D-47CE-845D-D66F59DC1E09.jpeg.a22c09ec97c751139cadc7ce4a2735ec.jpeg

• Like 12