D405 Crewe AUGUST 69 Slide 826

D403 at Polmadie MPD 1969 by Derek J Jones

D403 at Polmadie MPD_MSS0369_050469

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Going pretty fast on the down at Bathampton Junction, in 1976 I think.

You can see the remains of the station platform on the right and the rubble of the signalbox behind the junction signal. The junction has long since been reconfigured with single leads.

Bathampton fast.jpg

• Like 13

On 06/08/2021 at 20:14, 47164 said:

Great pictures of the early 50s, and modelling inspiration of a subject not really covered, I doubt Hornby will ever cover them… ought to be easy enough for us modellers to produce!

I'm a N Gauge modeller and I was a bit nonplussed when Dapol released their version without MU cables as at that point I'd only ever seen a single picture of one like that, so I presumed that it was a rare occurrence, but now I know that it wasn't. Having said that I can't imagine that many people model the very late steam/blue diesel period.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I'm a N Gauge modeller and I was a bit nonplussed when Dapol released their version without MU cables as at that point I'd only ever seen a single picture of one like that, so I presumed that it was a rare occurrence, but now I know that it wasn't. Having said that I can't imagine that many people model the very late steam/blue diesel period.

Initially D400/1 came with them fitted from the factory, the other 48 followed without and had them added later, as you can see the plating where the MW jumpers will be fitted when 2 locos became standard on Crewe to Glasgow runs up to 1974 when the WCML was fully electrified 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 06/08/2021 at 19:52, montyburns56 said:

D405 Kirkconnel

186 749-1 D405 Kirkconnel station (John Boyes) 164

Just coming back to this thread for another shuftie at all the wonderful pre-Tops photos being posted and noticed that the third and fourth vehicles behind D405 appear to be of ex-LMS Stanier origin, if you modelled this combo on a layout someone would no doubt say ''it never happened''!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Just coming back to this thread for another shuftie at all the wonderful pre-Tops photos being posted and noticed that the third and fourth vehicles behind D405 appear to be of ex-LMS Stanier origin, if you modelled this combo on a layout someone would no doubt say ''it never happened''!

One of the reasons why I posted that picture despite it not showing the 50 that clearly, was the wonderful mish mash of coaches behind it.

424 by 67C

img1351

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Teignmouth Sea Wall 1977 by George Woods

50xxx Teignmouth Sea Wall 15.7.77

Doesn't look like that is firing on anywhere near 16 cylinders, and possibly not got a full complement of 4 turbo-chargers either.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1