I know nothing about this, except it is not a Speedlink/Enterprise service through Teignmouth circa 1992/3 as written on the slide mount.

Hopefully, some 50 enthusiasts might fill in the blanks. 

534657558_50xxxnsespeedlinkteignmouth1992.jpg.200bac3100874e723ee3225e118b49e6.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Very good. Those who criticise, must give their opinion. 

:lol:

I didn't offer a suggestion because I wasn't sure where it was, only where it wasn't !!

But the more I look at the pic, the more I reckon it's heading North through Newton Abbot.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2021 at 16:56, jonny777 said:

I know nothing about this, except it is a Speedlink/Enterprise service through Teignmouth circa 1992/3.

Hopefully, some 50 enthusiasts might fill in the blanks. 

534657558_50xxxnsespeedlinkteignmouth1992.jpg.200bac3100874e723ee3225e118b49e6.jpg

The picture was definitely taken at Newton Abbot but the date you gave threw me a bit as very few 50s were still in service in 1992, and none of those that were looked quite like this one. The nameplate lettering pattern and the white stripe extending up onto the headcode box made me strongly suspect that the loco in your picture is 50048 Dauntless which only lasted until June 1991 (thanks to hitting a herd of cows at high speed). By happy coincidence, John Whiteley was about ten miles away at Cockwood Harbour on July 14th 1989 and took the picture below (found on Flickr) of 50048 on what looks like an identical consist. Based on the clocks in your picture and the position of the sun in John Whiteley’s picture, it would appear that both were taken at a similar time of day. Is it possible that you took your picture in 1989 @jonny777 ?

Class 50 on freight.

Edited by Western Aviator
Clarity
  • Like 15

17 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

:lol:

I didn't offer a suggestion because I wasn't sure where it was, only where it wasn't !!

But the more I look at the pic, the more I reckon it's heading North through Newton Abbot.

Cheers,

Phil.

Sorry, yes. I didn't take the photo, but bought it online. 

My laziness means I tend to believe what is written on the slide mount. It would appear that in this case just about everything about the transparency is incorrect. 

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

The picture was definitely taken at Newton Abbot but the date you gave threw me a bit as very few 50s were still in service in 1992, and none of those that were looked quite like this one. The nameplate pattern and the white stripe extending up onto the headcode box made me strongly suspect that the loco in your picture is 50048 Dauntless which only lasted until June 1991 (thanks to hitting a herd of cows at speed). By happy coincidence, John Whiteley was about ten miles away at Cockwood Harbour on July 14th 1989 and took the picture below (found on Flickr) of 50048 on what looks like an identical consist. Based on the clocks in your picture and the position of the sun in John Whiteley’s picture, it would appear that both were taken at a similar time of day. Is it possible that you took your picture in 1989 @jonny777 ?

Class 50 on freight.

Wow. Thanks for this. It certainly does look like the same train. As I mention above, the slide was a purchase and not taken by me but the details on the slide mount appear to be almost 100% inaccurate. 

• Like 1

Yet another with no loco identification, although the presence of what appears to be a naval crest on the bodyside may be a clue.

Exeter Central, and the notes say 1987; but I trust nothing on these any more. 886685773_50xxxexetercent1987.jpg.3c98c5f1994d785da426dbfb4d3dce6d.jpg

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Yet another with no loco identification, although the presence of what appears to be a naval crest on the bodyside may be a clue.

Exeter Central, and the notes say 1987; but I trust nothing on these any more. 886685773_50xxxexetercent1987.jpg.3c98c5f1994d785da426dbfb4d3dce6d.jpg

I used to like watching the 08 from St David's shuffling the wagons around in the Blue Circle cement depot.  All gone now.   Bit like the mail sidings at the east end of St David's.

Lots of happy memories of 50s barrelling through Dawlish with down papers and parcels and up empties.  Also seemed to be the loco of choice on the Milks after the Westerns had gone.  Brief period of domino headcode pre refurb named 50s on 6 w tanks.  I really miss the milk trains, they sounded heavy, loco invariably working hard,  had a unique staccato wheel beat over any rail joints and always seemed so fast by comparison with other freight back in the 70s.

Oh for any more freight west of Exeter now.

The 50s sounded great opening up on the climb up from St David's to Central.  Cracking pictures Jonny.  

Triggered happy memories of when I was listening to them up in Howell Road.

Matt W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Great pic !

I'd take a guess from the size of the crest that it's 035, a full compliment of nose-end handrails says it's not 050, and I'm pretty sure only those two had crests that big back then.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

This class member is towing a couple of HST power cars back to Laira, seen along the sea wall near Teignmouth circa 1989/90.

1492784066_50xxx43xxxteignmouth1989.jpg.6485e9e565d8f13981a770593715b591.jpg

Would suggest it's 033.

The placement of the nameplate, to read 'Glorious Network SouthEast' was unique.

Pic looking at No2 end of loco, and It's No1 end where 033 is missing the lower two nose-end handrails, so can't use that to confirm it !

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jonny777 said:

How come the GCR have ex-GWR lower quadrants in Leicestershire? 

The Swithland Sidings development was financially supported to a significant extent by the late Lord Lanesborough who (very unofficially) had experience of working in signal boxes on the GC/GW Joint Line in his youth, which is why the GW pattern signalling was installed as part of that project.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is nothing like in the league of the recent pictures posted but I thought I would share it as you all now have a current reason to run a triple headed 50 in the modern era......that is of course if you have an up-to-date 50044 and maybe don't want to turn 50007 around!!!!! Hope you enjoy

• Like 9