• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

......that is of course if you have an up-to-date 50044 and maybe don't want to turn 50007 around!!!!! Hope you enjoy

I have, and I don't !! :P

Cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

This is nothing like in the league of the recent pictures posted but I thought I would share it as you all now have a current reason to run a triple headed 50 in the modern era......that is of course if you have an up-to-date 50044 and maybe don't want to turn 50007 around!!!!! Hope you enjoy

I can't do a triple header, but I can manage 50046 and 50012 passing Teignmouth circa 1984. I'm not sure if this was some form of railtour, but there does seem to be a fair amount of window hanging going on. 

410857982_5004650012teignmouth1984.jpg.4beca6876c933c2af47362c37e205339.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I can't do a triple header, but I can manage 50046 and 50012 passing Teignmouth circa 1984. I'm not sure if this was some form of railtour, but there does seem to be a fair amount of window hanging going on. 

Some up trains between Penzance and Exeter were booked for two type 4s in those days as a way of getting locos up country off unbalanced workings, the railway grapevine (such as it was back then) meant lots of heads out of windows when this occurred. Of course, it could just be that '12 has fluffed it at Plymouth and '46 was tied on to keep things moving!

Really enjoying these early large logo pics, before all the orange cantrail stripes appeared ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Some up trains between Penzance and Exeter were booked for two type 4s in those days as a way of getting locos up country off unbalanced workings, the railway grapevine (such as it was back then) meant lots of heads out of windows when this occurred. Of course, it could just be that '12 has fluffed it at Plymouth and '46 was tied on to keep things moving!

Really enjoying these early large logo pics, before all the orange cantrail stripes appeared ;)

I think they're both powering, looks like the radiator shutters are open on '12....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The Plymouth Roadshow as it was known included 50 bashers who worked for BR with access to TOPS so word of mouth about interesting workings such as double heading worked just as well then as mobiles do now.

In my time I walked into TOPS offices and politely asked for GEN, including the office at the country end of platform 10 at Paddington and usually got what I wanted. On one occasion, when the chap I asked saw what the particular loco was working, phoned a friend in another office to let him know so he could get it too!

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The Plymouth Roadshow as it was known included 50 bashers who worked for BR with access to TOPS so word of mouth about interesting workings such as double heading worked just as well then as mobiles do now.

In my time I walked into TOPS offices and politely asked for GEN, including the office at the country end of platform 10 at Paddington and usually got what I wanted. On one occasion, when the chap I asked saw what the particular loco was working, phoned a friend in another office to let him know so he could get it too!

One of my former BR colleagues was mad (and I use that word advisedly :crazy:) about class 37s and would call up on a Saturday morning if he wasn’t working and ask me to put an enquiry through TOPS which (I think) showed all the Class 37s that were planned to work passenger trains that day. Based on the results, he would scratch a box and set off accordingly. With his trumpet. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

To bring this thread right upto date. A few shots of the Galloway Fifties railtour of Saturday 11th September 2021. The first couple are of Stranraer and the last is at Ayr. Due to file size, spread over 3 replies.

20210911_134233.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

In less than ideal photographic conditions, 50049 waits for 50007 to runround from the rear, at Ayr. The train had to top and tail to Stranraer, due to the limited length of the runround these days at Stranraer and due to the signalbox, supposedly, being switched out.

20210911_163408.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 24/09/2021 at 18:47, montyburns56 said:

50013 "Agincourt"  Old Oak Common 1982 by Colin Alexander

50013 "Agincourt" at Old Oak Common, 30th July 1982

There's something faintly amusing about the BR yellow van on the left, in a BR TMD, jacked up & clearly receiving attention from the Tyre Services van! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2021 at 20:06, Rugd1022 said:

When did the orange cant rail stripe appear? I've got photos as far back as Sept 81 (OC open day) with it showing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...