The side looks distorted around the top of the double arrow. I have never noticed this before.

Even the window above the nameplate looks like the body has twisted around it slightly.

Maybe a reflection from the platform barriers, perhaps.

Does any one remember this little Depot

'Not 'arf mate' as Fluff Freeman used to say. A rare shot of the depot clock actually working too - it was stuck at three minutes to four for years!

Actually standing upright inside the servicing shed was an art, the floor was very slippy and greasy most of the time.

• Like 2

You can almost smell the new paint on this one!...

attachicon.gif(654bS) 50010 Newcastle Central station 26-05-81 (T Ermel) .jpg

Fresh out of Doncaster Works, 50010 Monarch ​arrives at Newcastle on road trials with the test train on 26th May 1981

- the first one I ever saw in this livery style.

Trevor

That is a lot of heavy exhaust smoke out of the rear exhaust port, injection timing a bit out?

• RMweb Premium

That is a lot of heavy exhaust smoke out of the rear exhaust port, injection timing a bit out?

Timing would affect all 8 cylinders on that bank. Either a dodgy injector or sticking fuel pump on one or more of four cylinders if fuel (black smoke), or possibly a damaged piston ring if oil (blue smoke).

Dave

• RMweb Premium

'Not 'arf mate' as Fluff Freeman used to say. A rare shot of the depot clock actually working too - it was stuck at three minutes to four for years!

Actually standing upright inside the servicing shed was an art, the floor was very slippy and greasy most of the time.

But which clock if either is right? Judging by the lack of activity it is 9.30am which would be breakfast time for the maintenance crew, just before the later Padd arrivals came on shed.

As for the floor, several different surface finishes were tried out on different roads, don't recall any being particularly good.

Dave

Oh yes, i remember it well.

you can see the sheen of the floor, by the left hand 50

• RMweb Premium

Three shots taken at Laira during a visit as part of the Westward Whistler railtour.

16th October 1982.

attachicon.gif1982-10-16 C 50019 Plymouth LA.JPG

attachicon.gif1982-10-16 F 50008.JPG

attachicon.gif1982-10-16 J 50001.JPG

Ramillies and Dreadnaught both refurbished prior to Large Logo so still in plain blue, just two of the few....

Dave

• RMweb Premium

There's two clocks in that pic showing different times...............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I found this YT video (37 minutes long) that was filmed on the 7th March 1991 of Class 50 workings from Waterloo at various places - great sounds and very good conversion from analogue tape. I thought it deserves a wider audience.

Edited by Welly
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...