Anyone working on SE lines, in N Gauge?

Just wondering, as as I may have to go with N, after all.

After finding SER-Kits in O gauge, Petite Properties 1/48 doll house kits, and the fact that Dapol was bring out a RTR Terrier in O, I had pretty much settled on working in O, for my planned town/village scene.

Now, however, it seems my wife and I may lose our 'empty nest' status, so I lose my planned space if that happens. N gauge may be the only way I can go, to move forward with this. I'll know for sure, after this coming weekend.

If so, I will order a couple of the Dapol Terriers, before they get any scarcer, a few wagons, and some track from fiNetrax, to at least get me started.

Jim F

I've built some goods stock in 2FS but have been put off going further by the elaborate Wainwright livery. It is possible in 2mm as the fine work of Gareth Collier demonstrates. Worsley Works do some etches for carriages as does Bill Bedford. Worsley also has an etch for an O class 0-6-0. The 2mm Association has just added an etched kit for the Midland six-wheeled GBV to its range, which could be used for the similar SER brake van. So I think modelling the SECR in N is possible but it's always going to be at the challenging end of the spectrum.

Steve

Yes, the more I explore, the more I realize pre-grouping will be difficult. Etched Pixals does etches for LBSC pre-grouping small coaches, and SECR 51' coaches. 

I'm not planning a working layout, per se, but more a working diorama of a small town/village scene. So I won't need a large amount of railway rolling stock.

Regarding working in 2mm, I have not found any info on converting a Terrier, yet, and I don't want to get bogged down with building a loco from a kit, or a assembled collection of parts, at this stage.

Jim F

Simon, I do agree, and I do have quite a bit of the skill level needed, I believe. My 'problem', as it is, is not being in the UK. So problem is time, getting things I need, that perhaps I didn't think of before starting a project. If I were in the UK, a quick phone call to a supplier might have the part I need to continue on with arriving in a day or 2. Or perhaps a trip to a exhibition would allow me to purchase on the spot  Waiting a week or more tends to frustrate the flow.

Being over there would also allow me to meet with one or more others who are doing similar, to learn from them. That is not a option for me, though.

Going the RTR N route may not be as satisfying, but it is more practical, overall, and I can get most if not all I need from one or 2 dealers.

Jim F

Just wondering, as as I may have to go with N, after all.

After finding SER-Kits in O gauge, Petite Properties 1/48 doll house kits, and the fact that Dapol was bring out a RTR Terrier in O, I had pretty much settled on working in O, for my planned town/village scene.

Now, however, it seems my wife and I may lose our 'empty nest' status, so I lose my planned space if that happens. N gauge may be the only way I can go, to move forward with this. I'll know for sure, after this coming weekend.

If so, I will order a couple of the Dapol Terriers, before they get any scarcer, a few wagons, and some track from fiNetrax, to at least get me started.

Jim F

I have a growing range of track parts suitable for UK N and 2mm FS here in California if you can't get everything you need from the UK.

Andy

I have posted questions regarding how difficult it would be, doing my planned project in 2mm, in the 2mm section of this forum. Since it is not a full working layout I am planning, it may be do-able.

Andy, are you a dealer, or just have a lot of personal items?

Jim F

Archived