7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

I thoroughly enjoyed the Telford show.

Got a few bits and pieces nothing too fancy but needy

Intentio got a small set of various paint colours for brickwork plus the "GOLDEN TEXT" on how Steve Fay paints his model buildings.  Intentio Phil and Steve produce some first class buildings between them and I'm hoping that by following the text it will aid my painting.

Poppy's got a plier stand and the small tool stand took all of 2 mins to glue up.  They will fit handily on either side of my work station.

Minerva/Ixion had some very tasty Panniers which I thankfully was able to just resist as I like the black BR version which is still a week or so away at least with DCC sound it is.  An order to be placed for a miserly one wagon the BR version probably tomorrow.  EDIT>>> upped my order to 2.

Railroom electronics Picked up a swivel vise not a very electronic thing but he was selling them so I got one.  It will tilt turn and grip and will do the job of holding my Dremel very nicely when I use it as a mini bench saw..

Squires  got a bottle of Plastic weld.

JLTRT   Picked up a bottle of thin and a bottle of thick super glue as it is what they suggest to use for their kits.

Slaters   got 5 sheets of their coarse stone Plastikard for a wall I'm building.

Crossinggate Models   picked up one of their platform edging kits, 4foot long it is and comes in 3 sections with a very close jigsaw fit of the brick face.  It also come with a tube of glue to complete.

Skytrex     got one of their fuel discharge points as a point of yard interest.

This morning my order from Kays Fasteners for different length M2 & M1.6 bolts arrived so I can fasten down my bogie motors and secure the bolts with a dab of nail varnish.

I did visit the layouts and many more Traders gathering information and knowledge to proceed with my model builds.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 6

Painting Tips reproduced from Intentio http://intentio.co.uk/ FAQ Tips section.  Composed by Phil from Intentio and Steve Fay

[i've slightly altered the wording so as to fit my page better - SEE UPDATED LINK BELOW IN POST 328 FOR ORIGINAL INTENTIO WEB PAGE]

Intentio teamed up with Stephen Fay to bring you these painting tips to get the best out of painting our Intentio kits.

Steve has commissioned and built a number of our kits for his own fantastic Severn Tunnel East Main Line micro layout and on commission for his customers. 

They include Pete Watermans Brinklow layout among others.

Test-Samples.jpeg

The Painting Steps.

NB. [pic 1] is bare MDF.

1. [pic 2]  Halfords Auto Grey Primer. Is used to paint the building, the MDF will soak this up and dry quite quickly.
  2. [pic 3]  Pound Shop Gloss White spray paint. Cover it in several thin coats which when dry will provide a waterproof surface for the next layers to adhere too.
  3. [pic 4]  Halfords red oxide primer. Spray on a base brick colour, others such as Railmatch BR freight Bauxite 2235 can also be used.
  4. [pic 5+6]  Humbrol matt Enamel range 60 scarlet, 82 orange, 100 brown and gloss 18 orange.  Pick out individual brick colours using a mix of the Browns and Oranges in Matt and Gloss finishes.
  5. [pic 7]  Humbrol matt Cream Acrylic103. Working on small areas at a time, work the water based cream colour into the brick courses to represent the mortar.  Wipe away quickly the surface paint with a damp cloth.
  6. [pic 8]  Humbrol matt Black 33 and Phoenix Engineers Blue Brick P954 can be sparingly applied to age the brickwork by dry brushing if required.

Tip

To represent blue engineering bricks we use Phoenix Engineers Blue Brick P954 and for concrete features Precision Paints Concrete Weathered P958.

I'll be trying this over the next few days........................ :paint:  :paint:  :paint: but using similar brick colours from my Lifecolour bench stock. 

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 4

While going out for a Saturday night beer with the Station mistress I passed this>>>

attachicon.gifbrick wall.jpg

So I thought that would make a great BRICK painting ref. and snapped it.

To the uninitiated this photo would seem not worthy of interest or comment, but to anyone trying to represent, model or depict brick work it's typical of the detail we have to study. Headers and stretchers, bond, pointing, imperial dimensioned brick, lime mortar verses ordinary Portland cement and colour. All there in one simple photo. Just one thing, will you be bringing out a calendar for next year? Put me down for one if you do.  ;)

Best

Guy

• 1 month later...

Decisions' decisions I must decide.

:scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

I've nearly put together all of the basic bits for my next layout the one with no name but the idea is/was to finish the scenic side of the existing one King Street Goods.

I have learnt a lot from laying the track, playing about with the point work and its operating means, using dcc and generally shunting wagons about.

This has led me to want to get on with the new layout which because of the knowledge gained should be a better and speedier build.

For the new layout I have the track work, a layout plan, blue-point actuators, a selection of buildings and a Grainge & Hodder baseboard order about to go.  It is to be an industrial themed goods project and my fingers are itching to get started

I just need to find a home for my 1 piece 12ft by 2ft existing layout so I can get on with the new one.   I made it in two pieces but bolted it through and wired it for dcc with out separation plugs so it will have to go in one piece or plug & socket all the wires and unbolt it into 2 pieces. 

I can't see me doing that but it might suit someone or the local club who want to kick start a project.

I'll mull it over tonight and if I still want to make a start anew my Grainge & Hodder order will fly out tomorrow.

Ding - - - - - D0NG. :sungum:

Edited by Barnaby

Placed order for new Baseboards from Grainge & Hodder this morning.  Should get delivery in 7-10 days.

Need to empty out the old King street Layout to make room for the new build and start a new topic when the new build starts.

:sungum:  :locomotive:

Best

• Like 1

Yes Dave what I am finding is that I'm going slower and s l o w e r  and pushing some of the must do's further back while spending time planning my new venture.

The positive is I have made mistakes, corrected them and learnt from the experts but while I have a working bare layout I want to start again using all the best practice tips I have been given and complete this time.

Complete! if that is something that ever happens.

Anyway now the baseboards are ordered I have no excuses.

Regards

• Like 1

I know what you mean. Tonfanau Camp progresses in fits and bursts between other tasks, but I already have in mind something bucolic and light railwayish. Very low tech DC control with points and, if any, signals operated by simple push/pull rods. Track probably Code 100 FB on thin ply sleepers. Just need to identify a potential home.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Yes that's it for me too Chris my intention this time is to simplify everything ie. if a cycle spoke will move it then a spoke will do for me.

On the other hand my locos must sound the part while the associated wagons etc must look the part so a good place to start would be with Ixion/Minerva models to name one very good source but there are others. 

PS I need a "short" bolster wagon please I think it would make a great next wagon project a pair of  Macaw's please to go with my pair of Minks ordered from Telford. :yes: .

Best

The beer mat scribbling has started

Oooops I need to re-save that photo and upload it again for correct orientation.  DONE

post-1159-0-15426800-1508363677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1st Grainge & Hodder Baseboard being glued up, then 2 more to do.

post-1159-0-86318900-1509389329_thumb.jpg

Best

PS. The Stanley Tool to square up the box frame is a winner, it will also hold true multi sided objects which will be handy for other wood working jobs and only cost a £10-er too. Simple, quick and easy to use.
Put the plastic/fibreglass corner alignment pieces into position, pull the tape tight and lock off then tighten the handle to tension the tape up.
Job done.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 8

Board #2 having the point templates tried out on it.

post-1159-0-09005300-1509753046_thumb.jpg

Major work completed to all 3 boards but clamping system between each board needs adding as do the legs.  For the legs I'll put 4 on Board 1.then piggy-back Boards 2 & 3 with 2 legs on each.

Work on this will slow up now as I need to remove the old layout boards to make some space for the new build.

Best

• Like 6

Board #2 having the point templates tried out on it.

attachicon.giffull size template test.jpg

Major work completed to all 3 boards but clamping system between each board needs adding as do the legs.  For the legs I'll put 4 on Board 1.then piggy-back Boards 2 & 3 with 2 legs on each.

Work on this will slow up now as I need to remove the old layout boards to make some space for the new build.

Best

How heavy is an assembled board?

Chris

Strange question Chris but then no stranger than me in my workshop with the kitchen scales weighing the new Grainge & Hodder baseboards.  They weigh very little and are made entirely from 6mm Birch ply.  I have 3 boards 1 @ 600mm wide and 2 @ 400mm wide all 1200mm long

The 1200mm x 600mm minus the legs weighs something like 3Kg while the 1200mm x 400mm nearer 2Kg.  all 3 came together in the post at under £10.for the postage. 

They do build up into very strong interlocking units which are all ready cut to take alignment dowels as you can see from some of the above photos.

A big plus is that it took 2-3 hours to assemble all three baseboards then left to glue dry over night so by the next morning I was ready to go.

On the other hand the boards I have built that I now want to move on are much more substantial in having 9mm Birch ply tops with 19mm x 89mm side frames and being 12ft long x 30inches wide overall, somewhat of an over-kill I think.  Hence the time hold while I sort them out.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Strange question Chris but then no stranger than me in my workshop with the kitchen scales weighing the new Grainge & Hodder baseboards.  They weigh very little and are made entirely from 6mm Birch ply.  I have 3 boards 1 @ 600mm wide and 2 @ 400mm wide all 1200mm long

The 1200mm x 600mm minus the legs weighs something like 3Kg while the 1200mm x 400mm nearer 2Kg.  all 3 came together in the post at under £10.for the postage. 

They do build up into very strong interlocking units which are all ready cut to take alignment dowels as you can see from some of the above photos.

A big plus is that it took 2-3 hours to assemble all three baseboards then left to glue dry over night so by the next morning I was ready to go.

On the other hand the boards I have built that I now want to move on are much more substantial in having 9mm Birch ply tops with 19mm x 89mm side frames and being 12ft long x 30inches wide overall, somewhat of an over-kill I think.  Hence the time hold while I sort them out.

Regards

Thanks. Weight is always an issue. I've always built my boards and frames from 9mm ply and they can be heavy. They are also very boring to build so I may consider G&H for the next project, provided people buy lots of Minerva 57XX/8750 Panniers and Iron Mink vans.

Chris

• Like 3

Hello Chris G&H I can't praise them enough, some excellent kit being manufactured there.  I agree building boards out of 9mm Ply is H E A V Y  , I can stack all 3 of these new boards and lift them up without any effort.

On the other hand the 9mm stuff is hernia making.

They build into a nice firm, stiff and flat boards.

Pair of Minx ordered, still arguing with myself about the Pannier, but I think I will have to move something out first or retire them.

Don't think I can buy 5 plus in Minerva wagons, 2 - 3 each time will be a max for me, love a lo-mac or something similar though.

• Like 1

Pair of Minx ordered, still arguing with myself about the Pannier, but I think I will have to move something out first or retire them.

Don't think I can buy 5 plus in Minerva wagons, 2 - 3 each time will be a max for me, love a lo-mac or something similar though.

Where did you order your Mink please Barnaby? I had a look at the Minerva website and all I see is locos!

Thanks.

Edited by Willy

Where did you order your Minx please Barnaby? I had a look at the Minerva website and all I see it locos!

Thanks.

Maybe give Chris a call direct if you wish to purchase a Mink ?

I wonder why you corrected my spelling when it was the same as Barnaby's spelling?

Hi Willy,

No offence meant, its because it is the correct spelling for the wagon in question, a Minx on the other hand ! I'll leave you to that one  :jester:

Grahame