7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

All is not as you think. 

If you look at the top foto of the 2 you will see the outside brick wall. The table is a garden table that I recovered the other week as my wife was having an afternoon tea party for some friends and asked if I could spruce up the table.  :sungum:  :paint:  plenty brownie points for me then.

Mind you CME my wife did say not to drill any holes or scratch it so I better be careful.

• Like 2

While having a further play with a trio of sprat wagons the other day I had some miss-operations.

Some of the wagons had just hoops on 1 end and hooks and hoops on the other end while other wagons had hooks and hoops on both ends.

I did these tests with 2 types of magnet, one shirt button magnet in the middle of the track and the S&W magnet laid across rail to rail.

All did work eventually the quickest and most consistent was the hook on 1 end only.

Where I had 2 hooks facing each other I needed to joggle back and forth to get both to de-latch at the same time. It seemed that only having the magnet situated as above could not get both sets of the 3 links to pull down together.

Anyone got a fix for this I'm about to try adding another shirt button next to the one already installed thus widening the active area and or laying the bar magnet inline with the rail left to right.

Hopefully it will be as simple as that, but any ideas most gratefully accepted..

Best

…………. well seems like I was right and that widening the active magnetic area by 1/2-ing the S&W magnet and placing them side by side allows both wagon hooks to operate together.  I have been thinking of settling with 1 hook on each wagon but I will have a serious play to see how reliable the double hooks will operate. 

If I go the route of 1 hook per wagon then I will have to add 1 hook on my locos too probably the rear.

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences with double wagon hooking.

Regards

Hi Simon I'll get some photos Probably on Friday as I'm busy out & about tomorrow.

Oh bum got the Shrewsbury Flower Show on Friday so will do over the weekend.

Best.

PS Sorry BG you asked about the pins.

At the 9 o'clock position the thin black ones are Hornby.

The smaller black/brown pins at 12 were sourced by my local shop - no name on packet.  The Footplate >>> http://www.footplate.co.uk/

The brass ones were from my diy store, again brought just by size.

I used a mix of the Brass pins and the pins at 12, the Hornby pins are too flimsy and bend easily.

Edited by Barnaby

Well knock me down with a feather.

After my re-testing of the S&W operation and magnet position I thought I'd read again the "how to's".

Lo and behold that old adage RTFM proved true again, in the 2nd to last paragraph it says lay the magnets parallel and between the rails which is what I had stumbled upon.  The difficulty with the S&W magnets is it's easier to fit them between the sleepers but for effective working they need to sit parallel to the rails. Not a problem to do when laying the track but a bit more of a pain when the track is down.

I'm off to try a couple of shirt button magnets side by side to see if they work just as well as they will be easier to fit.

Oh the joys of playing trains.

Best

• Like 3

Well knock me down with a feather.

After my re-testing of the S&W operation and magnet position I thought I'd read again the "how to's".

Lo and behold that old adage RTFM proved true again, in the 2nd to last paragraph it says lay the magnets parallel and between the rails which is what I had stumbled upon.  The difficulty with the S&W magnets is it's easier to fit them between the sleepers but for effective working they need to sit parallel to the rails. Not a problem to do when laying the track but a bit more of a pain when the track is down.

I'm off to try a couple of shirt button magnets side by side to see if they work just as well as they will be easier to fit.

Oh the joys of playing trains.

Best

Keep us posted. I'm watching this with interest. 

CK

• 2 weeks later...

For me trying to uncouple when both wagons have hooks is TOO fiddly so I have decided to have a hook only on one end of the wagon, in my case the rear.

This created a problem with the loco as I was going to make them hoops only but I will now fit a hook at the loco rear.

This is not too much of an issue as with a little bit of cut & shut on the hook I have something that will work very well.

Here's some photos showing the part build.

post-1159-0-80838000-1534782703_thumb.jpgpost-1159-0-09405800-1534782720_thumb.jpg

I've folded the paddle in half and may fill with solder if required.

I will be using 2 dressmakers pins pushed into the front beam to create the paddle movement with the 3 links to the magnet.

The blue tac test seems to work quite well and when painted it should look reasonable.

I'll be leaving the original hook in place but will remove the original 3 links.  I don't know how to remove the Ixion hooks without taking everything apart.

I'm hoping if I paint everything the same colour on the beam the original hook will fade away.

I'll let you know how it goes and take a photo..

Best

PS.  I have got a slightly different way to achieve the same thing with the hook which I'll try tomorrow.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 5

Hello while playing about with my S&W hook on my Fowler I found these [see photo] near the loco.

I'm fairly sure they are off the loco braking system as once before the loco speared itself to the track and I had to reconnect one end back.

Now that I have 2 pieces I'm not sure if that is all or where they should fit.

post-1159-0-51077000-1535033558_thumb.jpg

As yet when googling I can't see any locos with them fitted maybe I need to use some firmer glue or just leave them off altogether.

Thanks

Edited by Barnaby

Hello while playing about with my S&W hook on my Fowler I found these [see photo] near the loco.

I'm fairly sure they are off the loco braking system as once before the loco speared itself to the track and I had to reconnect one end back.

Now that I have 2 pieces I'm not sure if that is all or where they should fit.

attachicon.gifbrake rigging fowler.jpg

As yet when googling I can't see any locos with them fitted maybe I need to use some firmer blue or just leave them off altogether.

Thanks

The longer brake rod fits on the left side of the locomotive connecting the brake pump and the brake shoe hangers as visible in the attached photo of KITCHENER. The shorter rod is attached to the brake hangers on the right side. A small dab of a UHU type glue will keep them in place, but also allow removal at a later date with a little gentle prising. 

Regards,

Chris 

post-13142-0-72052700-1535035251_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ok I've been playing about with the couplings from the Fowler to the wagons and all seems to work well.

Except for the wagon stagger or wagon roll to the bar magnets when operating the couplings.

I'll have a look at the electromagnets as they should only attract when switched on and I'll also add some stiff sponge braking to the axels to stop random run on.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Telford today collecting two wagons from Chris at Ixion/Minerva models.
Picked up a mixture of sizes of heat shrink tubing and had a good look about at what was on offer from the traders duly noted items of interest for future reference.

post-1159-0-31662300-1535828910_thumb.jpg

At the bottom of the picture is scratch kit 002 a builders aid but complete kit. The kit is beautifully precut only requiring a brand new scalpel blade to release.  

I've read through the build aid instructions and reviewed all the parts but more on this build as I start it later. This is from another great builder on here Gareth he of O Gauge from a standing start.

The show seemed somewhat flat with the show layouts not hooking onto my interests but that may have just been me as my wife was out in Telford town with the bank acc in tow. GULP! :O

With JLTRT missing the buzz they seem to generate was also lacking.  I also felt the show was somewhat smaller too. 

I do however appreciate the effort the show teams put into getting the show up and running.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

While reviewing some of the posts on here I saw one that showed "PECO POINT WHEEL DROP STOP".  I was interested enough to order some for my layout to trial.

I was just going to lay a small piece of plastruct at the widest gap to stop the wheels from dropping but these are an excellent option and can easily be hidden.

https://youtu.be/nvgUiRG48aY    

Thanks for Andrew P of Seven Mill Siding for recently displaying them.

Best

Edited by Barnaby

Got my Point, wheel drop stop inserts from Parliamentary Trains.

Thanks for the great service Steve.

I've just ordered a Walthers overhead travelling crane H0 scale [Prt: 933-3102] to be used as a sacrificial donor or to use as a reference to build from plastic/brass strip.

https://youtu.be/Q383SYjDPGQ?t=23

On the new layout I want to be a crane driver :sungum: but I need to decide how the collect and deliveries will work. As I'm no Giles [End of the line] I wont have any lorries delivering so I intend to do it all by rail.  Raw materials in, finished goods out.

I can get rid of one of the crane motors by making the crane fixed and use the loco to position the wagons correctly. that will leave me with 2 motors one to operate the hook and the other to traverse across the track, we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Barnaby

• 3 months later...

There's been a bit of a lull in here over the last few months.  I've been having some house work done, improving a small shed for my wife to play about in then got knocked sidewise and spent a few days in Hospital in the run up to Christmas.

All now tickety-boo health wise with a rejuvenated interest in model trains.

I had been looking for a local club with some 0 gauge interest and it looks like I have found somewhere 10 mins away which I'll be visiting in  the next week or so.  Initial contact is very friendly and welcoming so must get a pack of biscuits to go with the cups of tea.

All aboard...…………

Best

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you've been 'in dock' recently Barnaby, hope you find being part of a club fulfilling as well as a friendly atmosphere. I'm a bit envious of you having a O gauge club so close though, as my nearest is a 120 mile round trip!

Guy

There's been a bit of a lull in here over the last few months.  I've been having some house work done, improving a small shed for my wife to play about in then got knocked sidewise and spent a few days in Hospital in the run up to Christmas.

All now tickety-boo health wise with a rejuvenated interest in model trains.

I had been looking for a local club with some 0 gauge interest and it looks like I have found somewhere 10 mins away which I'll be visiting in  the next week or so.  Initial contact is very friendly and welcoming so must get a pack of biscuits to go with the cups of tea.

All aboard...…………

Best

Sorry to hear you've not been well, hope your recovered now, where about is the Club? I'm getting a bit too old for the weekly 40+ miles to

Leamington every week.

Peter

• Like 1

Hello Peter it is in Kidderminster and is run by John Phillips who can be contacted on the GOG forums, I don't know if he is on these forums yet. 

His name tag in there is PT for Pannier Tank.  If you can't contact him there I can give you his direct phone contact numbers after clearing that with him first.

GOG membership is not a requirement to join the group and presently they have interests in 00 & 0 gauge layouts.  I'll be making my first visit shortly so until then there is not much more I can add.

The meetings are held in John's home in these early days.

Best

Edited by Barnaby