7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

Last piece of the old BB dismantled and 1st of the new laser cut BB moving into the space created.   Notice BB 3 taking a piggy back ride prior to adding the side latches, BB legs and alignment dowels.

Board number 2 is ready and stored behind the camera point and will be added tomorrow.

1565153192_movingnewBBintothespace..jpg.62561936733ead193a7a041a7a50e0a4.jpg

I intend to have minimum walk about when playing trains and I have set the BB height to be able to operate at a sit down height.

Best

• Like 10

Finally got the 3 new boards together.   The middle board can be seen with full size coloured plan on it.

Now to work out where the holes need to be placed for all the wire droppers and push rod operation.

738656709_123baseoards.jpg.b45b788cb5a078caf25c53f573441891.jpg

Regards

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 20/02/2019 at 22:27, Barnaby said:

Thanks for your replies gents.

Yes Rich they are laser cut BB, went together really quickly and easily and most importantly squarely.

Bets

Those baseboards look really smart. Apologies if I have missed it, but if you don't mind me asking, which company produced them? 

Cheers,

David 

My plan for today was to get on with finalising my BB's for my new layout. 

My wife who likes to think she is in charge said we were going to change the LAYOUT of the garden, I must have misheard her.  After most of the morning and a little of the Afternoon I got to play trains for awhile.  

393198861_playingtrains.jpg.d994cf390d9bcc0c9fbf3446878d71fc.jpg

Best

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was perusing Intentio, Phil's laser kitting business and saw a small GWR Hut which looked very appealing. 

So as I wanted a couple of packs of his pallets too I thought that will make a nice small order, so I ordered them.   In double quick time a small carboard box dropped through my letterbox.

These will be a nice interlude when I feel like a change/break from my present new layout building. 

Speaking of break one small part was broken [see top right of photo- it should look like the one bottom left] but nothing a small dab of super glue wont fix.

74012381_IntentioGWRhut.jpg.b6a831902f5d8c9e5038cd49c08b33f6.jpg

Reference photo of a built hut to aid my build.

2129675202_gwrhut4.jpg.ebeda7777870e3dabce42fe35d9ac549.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
Add photo of a built hut for ref.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Don’t worry about super glue. Use PVA glue to build the kit and just butt up and glue that part. Use a very fine sandpaper to remove any joint witness marks. That’s the great thing about using mdf, card and wood, the ease to fix and manipulate the medium. 

Looking forward to seeing this built up and painted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Phil PVA it will be.

Been doing some rethinking on the layout plan and moved 2 points about to allow the feed down from the loco spur to the goods area to be a direct travel .  It will shorten the siding for the scrap yard but that will be ok.

Photo shortly.

951201698_NewplantestforBB.jpg.815026e2eeb21954e9c12f5db8c564c9.jpg

Ta da

Edited by Barnaby
Photo added
  • Like 7

Hello Dave it's the free version of anyrail. >>> https://www.anyrail.com/en/download.

I've always found the free version which limits you to 50 pieces of track ample as if you have say 1 length of track you can slice it up into pieces but it only calls it 1 piece.  ie it doesn't count your slicing.

Also each sliced piece you can expand back out to full size of 1 mtr.  Even with the free version you get all the updates.

I have found it quite intuitive and easy to use.

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dave Any rail lets you enlarge or reduce to anything you want.

Here's the full size plan above shrunk down to fit here. 

1096116214_V21EMANONSIDINGS12ftchangeoverH-SpointtoYpointSECTIONScolourchangescrap.jpg.1019bd116b5cf46c5f32f9b1e3850582.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

Quick visit to my gentlemen's retreat to place point work and track into position.  Then mark up where the various holes in the base board need to be made for the Bluepoint switch actuators.   

Just some slight tweaking to lift the whole layout towards the base board back to pull the track away from the front edge of the base board.

Time to make ready my multi-tool and get the job done.

512870541_trackpositioning.jpg.da06cd8ae0decf71d1bd5a610b8cd191.jpg

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 9

Ahh but you are the Layout Master who not only thinks about it but does something with your thoughts.  Me on the other hand keep tweaking the plans and  t a k e  f o r e v e r  to make a start.

Even then you seem to have 72 hours in your days while I only have 4 hours in mine plus I'm easily distracted with other areas of the modelling.

But I enjoy it.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Spent some time up in the gentlemen's retreat this afternoon, moving wood, critically marking the point tie-bar positions for their actuators, test painting the back scene, spent several minutes trying to peel a cover sheet from a GWR hut kit window, as of now I've not been able to do so.

Test Painting the field Andy P style distant hills and bushes next >>>

709215664_Nrfield.jpg.2a7b94f0e212c92059391e4ad18a3c5c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/02/2019 at 11:59, Barnaby said:

Hello David they are from a company called Grainge and Hodder.

http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Regards

A belated thank you Barnaby. They look like first class products and well worth the investment. Very reasonably priced too. 

Cheers!

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know many of us use tester pots as an economical use with paints.

While in my local family run DIY today I saw these>>>

roller_tester_image-_heart_wood_.jpg.7af52f0babce76a125f8c3fcf7697617.jpg

They have a mini roller on the end to feed the paint and they are from Dulux.   I can think of a couple of uses the roller end will come in useful.

The roller is about 1 1/2 inches wide and seem to be for all their colour range.

Best

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT  I have placed this in the help area as being a better place to seek advice.

Hello I've been doing some gardening to please the Stationmistress so modelling has taken a back seat just for now. 
I have been doing some thinking about which auto coupling to use I've tried various styles from modified tension lock, lincs and latterly Sprat & Winkle all have tasty things about them.

I've been searching for any comments re my latest thinking on the Dingham auto coupling.

* They seem easy to install in that you push them through the existing sole plate hook slot so no damage done.

* They are a little fiddly to make up but not enough to put me off.

* Some criticism of their stability / reliability but I think using a jig should make for reliable repeatability.

* They have a HOOK & LATCH on one end and a HOOK & LOOP on the other which means the wagons have to be placed with the same ends all facing the same way.

I won't find this a problem for my shunty plank layout.

* Best advice is to use an Electro-magnet but you can use bar magnets in some places.

From all the above I am leaning quite strongly in Dinghams favour and have placed an order for some to try.

If anyone has any further advice on their assembly or use please let me know.

Best

Edited by Barnaby