7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

Well ref my above post there have been several helpful replies which I am collating on tips for jigs and better ways to complete a task.

Details can be found in the Help area of the forum.

The other day my postie dropped these through the letter-box...…….

DINGHAMS.jpg.0b78190532a5029b09fed365a17f9b10.jpg

…….. time to play.

• Like 4

On 05/03/2019 at 18:30, Barnaby said:

Thanks Phil PVA it will be.

Been doing some rethinking on the layout plan and moved 2 points about to allow the feed down from the loco spur to the goods area to be a direct travel .  It will shorten the siding for the scrap yard but that will be ok.

Photo shortly.

951201698_NewplantestforBB.jpg.815026e2eeb21954e9c12f5db8c564c9.jpg

Ta da

Hmm. The old “re-think”. We all suffer from that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to save a few pennies well not actually I'm looking to make some old spends available again.  How well I've been de-soldering 6 Peco points plus a Double slip that I'd carefully lifted off the old layout.  Once I had removed the bits of stray wire and some solder areas the point work looks great.

One other difficulty is the fact that all the points have had their latch over springs removed and I know that Peso will supply new but I think I will use them as they are now as I will be switching the points using Bluepoint actuators.

Hard at it in the garden...…

53068853_10215761744169239_5711046304440778752_o.jpg.769ed44dcd576c1380708f15acaf172b.jpg

Best

• Like 2

If you need over-centre springs:

A bit of piano wire, about half a mm in diameter, bend to a “V” with about 45 degrees between the arms.

At about 10 mm from the tip of the v, bend both arms down 90 degrees, and cut the ends off at about 3mm from the bend.  

These will, I hope, squeeze slightly together and then poke into the original Peco spring holes, and do the same job.  You can amend my “about” numbers accordingly!

best

simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Simon I'll bear that in mind but I am hoping that the Bluepoint actuators will hold the rails hard over.

The Ultimate Manual Turnout Control

The Blue Point Switch Machine is easy to install and is actuated by a simple push rod to your layout's fascia.

The adjustable throw rod holds the switch points in positive contact with the running rails to prevent derailments. A DPDT snap-action toggle switch inside the compact plastic housing changes electrical connections to the turnout frog to prevent stalling of locomotives.

Wiring your layout is simplified, because no electrical power is required to throw the switch.

For use with all track gauges N through O.

Dimensions: 1-1/4 inches wide x 1-3/8 inches deep x 2-3/8 inches high.

(Push rod not included.)

785372735_bluepointturnout.jpg.977cadbcf3fd258d06ddb8b8b20fe05c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'll be watching this progress now that i've found your good work Barnaby, i've already had/borrowed a few ideas, i love the Blue Point machine thingy and i must get one of those and go and find a bike spoke....:)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm folding the Dingham  Auto-couplings up as I watch the TV of an evening so as to be ready for assembly when they are required for loco/wagon fitting.  Slowly, slowly I make the hook & latches.

Track point work is also being wired with droppers, 3 to each point.  2 for power and 1 for the frog polarity switching through the Bluepoint TOU.

Card templates for "y" and "L or R" points made with hole locations marked out.   Only made 1 "L-R" point template as the opposite hand can be found by flipping it over.

1590265985_pointtemplate.jpg.d06b7ead30e6ebddb8f54047954ca1ce.jpg

Expecting to get the key point, the "Y" one into position tomorrow as this is like a key stone in an arch every thing else positions off it.  I'm also going down the route of not using rail joiners anywhere.

Eventually I will just add the cosmetic plastic fishplates for effect if I can find where I have them stashed.

I hope to get an early start tomorrow as the wife is out to the Golf club for 07.30.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 4

We have used the Blue point actuators on "Scratchy Bottom" don't think I would go back to electric point motors. They don't fail touch wood. I need to order some more for WC Boggs and Son. I'm also building arm-fulls of Dinghams for Scratchy Bottom's next outing in October.

Marc  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just read that Ixion are to release a D14 Teddy bear in Spring 2020 better start saving for a Dcc sound fitted one.

989697831_D14teddybear.jpg.fe7ad780b48ee1ef52ae2bcf64311d71.jpg

Also I'd better check all my loco release sections for the over buffer fitting.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

On 14/05/2019 at 04:21, Barnaby said:

Just read that Ixion are to release a D14 Teddy bear in Spring 2020 better start saving for a Dcc sound fitted one.

989697831_D14teddybear.jpg.fe7ad780b48ee1ef52ae2bcf64311d71.jpg

Also I'd better check all my loco release sections for the over buffer fitting.

Ixion?  Minerva announced one...

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/minerva-models/news-class-14-teddies-in-o-from-minerva?fbclid=IwAR0__hdotXGc6ukSwNUNBxQWcRP-c7UBsFhnafHYgwmcUB1yzAhwD6pb6G8

Yes thanks Mike you are correct but as I know and have spoken more to chis K I tend to refer things to his Business name which was Ixion.

I'll leave my post using the Ixion name to allow your correction to make sense.

Best

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/05/2019 at 23:36, Barnaby said:

Yes thanks Mike you are correct but as I know and have spoken more to chis K I tend to refer things to his Business name which was Ixion.

I'll leave my post using the Ixion name to allow your correction to make sense.

Best

Minerva is my business too, owned half each by Chris Basten and me. 

Very pleased with the response to the Class 14 announcement last Saturday. The order book is filling.

CK

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of a wild question now.  I need help/suggestions to solve a problem I have.

My hobby room is some 130 yards or so from my front door out the back of the house and down the bottom of my garden.  This means if anybody calls I don't hear the bell so they have to ring my mobile to fetch me.  That's ok for friends in the know but posties and delivery people don't know it so all I get left is a please collect your parcel the next day from the local office.

Sooooooo I tried to use bell repeaters without any success therefore has anybody got any suggestions that would help?

I'll be doing a google later.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

1. most online ordering such as Amazon allow you to collect from the local convenience store. They send you an email or text message when its there. Look for the LocalCollect option. This not only solves the doorbell problem, but also means you can pop out for a while if necessary without missing the delivery.

2. a long piece of string. Run it over a pulley in your shed and hang a weight on the end of it to keep it in tension. Attach a rattle to it. Put a "if no answer, please pull the string" note on the door. This is the cheapest option and ultra reliable. No batteries needed.

3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Door-Entry-Phone-System/dp/B001U16VVA/

4. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Parcel-Box-Multiple-Deliveries/dp/B016XUXJAS/

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

Thanks Martin .

Your ultra reliable version [2] I had thought of but decided against it just incase someone ties the end onto my car bumper.

[1] may be a suitable fall back and one I am considering but that will work only for delivery people.

[3] + [4] are likely to be the most suitable as they would cover all callers.  My experience with what I have now is that the wifi gets about halfway down the garden and then becomes unreliable so I need to be able to test one out.

Cheers

can you not simply run bell wire down the garden & have abell outside the shed?  It's a long way, but far from a problem, I'd guess.

Ideally, you'd want the same button to ring both bells, so you don't give the local chancers the heads up that the house is unoccupied and you are out of earshot.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

My experience with what I have now is that the wifi gets about halfway down the garden and then becomes unreliable

Hi Mark,

You could put the bell in a box halfway down the garden, and you would probably hear it? Drill some holes in the bottom of the box to let the sound out.

or 5. you could fix one of these next to the existing bell (not on the door). it claims to be sound-activated and up to 10km range. Just remember to switch it on before going down to the shed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PWY8HZM/

Plenty of other/cheaper units available, but not all hands-free/sound-activated/weatherproof.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

Well one system that seems very good is the "Ring" one.  This links a camera bell push to my iPhone and allows 2-way comms along with a video of the caller but it is a little pricey.  Just going to look to see if there is something similar but a little cheaper while maintaining the quality.

Thanks all.

Best

• 1 month later...

Update on the ring video doorbell testing.

Not very impressed with it as it has a delay in video starting and phone responding.  The TV adds that show people at the front door and in 2-way comms just doesn't work. 

It soon becomes like a two Ronnie's sketch where I'm answering the 1st while the 2nd question has just been asked, the delay is laughable.

Returned it to Screwfix for a full refund.

Considering a Honeywell Bell wireless repeater now, one bell push rings 2 bells 1 in shed 1 in house, I'll let you know how it goes.

Update on my layout.

My work has ground to a halt shifting lumps of sandstone from the back garden into the front to create a chippings barrier along the bottom of the hedge, next job to lay down the chipping/pebbles.

My wife the station mistress wants white pebbles while I want gold ones I bet you can guess which ones we have ordered.  :P

Oh had some new LED "fluorescent" style tubes fitted into my shed for better brighter lighting along with ordering some venting fans for when it gets sooooo hot.

Bets

• Like 2

Guest Isambarduk
3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

... had some new LED "fluorescent" style tubes fitted into my shed for better brighter lighting ...

I also fitted some of these (3 x 60W + 2 x 60W, on two 'circuits') earlier this year and they are brilliant - litterally!  I need sunglasses in my workshop now. 

I don't normally have all five 'tubes' on but they have made such a difference that I cannot imagine i) how a managed before, and ii) why I hadn't installed them earlier (because they were not available or, at least, I didn't know about them)?

David

4 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Update on the ring video doorbell testing.

Not very impressed with it as it has a delay in video starting and phone responding.  The TV adds that show people at the front door and in 2-way comms just doesn't work. 

I have the same device and it works fine for me. You need:

1. a fast internet connection on both phone and wifi network - do yourself a favour and install a plug in wifi extender.
  2. to have the app running on your phone or tablet. A lot of the delay initially in response time it seems is the time wasted in the app initialising on your device and then the comms are trying to play catch-up.

Too late now as you've returned it, but I wouldn't want your negative comment to adversely affect other peoples perception of what is, in my experience,  a very good product.

Dave

• Agree 1