7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

Mnnnn good point CME for them to attract to each other they must be opposite poles so the answer must be yes.   They are a pair in a packet but they look identical to each other so I will have to mark them somehow I guess.

I'll try a pair with one from another packet...… …… …… Yup they are handed.

I don't think that will cause me any issues as I'll be having a different polarity on each end of my locos too and I wont be turning my locos about.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

While having a tidy up in my shed so I can see my layout build I had a little play with the swing MagClic couplings.

So far when coupling up the wagons keep their position and only the magnets swivel up and connect so auto coupling is sweet.

Being magnetic as CME reminded me the wagons become handed but that's not a problem for me as I don't turn my locos however I could use the push away effect to remotely site a wagon, still playing about with that.

Using a stirrer to split the wagons seems to work without too much clattering about of the wagons so that process seems ok too.

I do have some other ideas on uncoupling but they will entail a fair bit of fiddling just to avoid the stirrer use and Id rather be playing trains.

Regards

• Like 4

Just had a sit-rep from Chris K he of Minerva Models. 

My order is for one of the just released open 5-plank wagons and has started its journey to me having passed through already orders in, accounting, warehouse selection, packing, address labelling and Royal Mail collection, it is now steaming its way towards me First Class.

Not bad considering I only booked it in late last night.

Great work Chris thanks.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Well would you believe it.

After a late night on Friday I was awakened by Royal Mail deliveries at about 8:30am.

With a still muddled head, a mouth that had been used as a relief chamber by a Parrot and still suffering with blurred vision I opened my delivery. 

1899908883_Minervawagon5-P(2).jpg.fb6ed0fbc3cba66ff1e586e619cb815a.jpg

Yippee it's my 5-Planker   THANKS CHRIS.

Minerva wagon 5-P.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
Add description
  • Like 7

You all are a very helpful group I've gathered lots of tips and help on here which has been most useful.

The other day I asked Ian G of Hither Green TMD for some info on his ballasting technique which he later on the same day posted up 2 Videos.

Thanks for that Ian they are most helpful so much so that I have done a quick test build following his directions. and will add some colour washes tomorrow when it has dried.

Here's 3 photos of that process. 1st just track.   2nd lose granules & sand added.   3rd Pva 50/50 mix with water added.

826040083_TRACK1.jpg.d36db4c23b2a6319454fc18d09e12e0b.jpg1825318797_TRACK2.jpg.71edf24c1c613a14cf92f06d3fda72d6.jpg713296515_TRACK3.jpg.ef0d2d5e4663b44f359b394c6a9759a9.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 5

Just a thought, PVA can make some granite clippings turn gently, but distinctly green, which looks odd.  Doesn’t matter if you’re spraying over but I& you want granite colour, I recommend latex.  I use stuff for plasticising plaster, works fine.

atb

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks gents all your tips are exactly what is my preferred method, copydex & water 50/50 with a splash of washing up liquid. 

I used pva this time as it was near to hand and I am only doing a small piece to see what the surface effect looks like.

I'll be using a wash of colour tomorrow to see how it looks.  As I have plenty of the ballast granules and plenty of acrylic paint I need to start using them up so painting all the ballast should be fun.

Thanks, keep watching.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Fun in a teduous way me thinks. When ballasting Ramchester (after painting and testing the track) ballasting was undertaken and I must say that it did bring the track to life. Yes it took a long time but in a funny way it was fun! The layout seemed to take on a major step forward look which was very pleasing, to me at least.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The result of the ballast granule/sand test show me they will be ok for what my minds eye wants so finish the last boards droppers and away we go.

BUT FIRST...………

Ok OK Time for a spring clean up of my hobby cabin.

Every flat surface including the layout being built has become a receptacle for something to be put there.  On top of that I keep finding multiples of the same thing but in different places.

Clearly I cant find or have forgotten that I have these items, I intend to use an app freely supplied by Woodland scenic to control their locations in the cabin.  I will modify the app to just show one location for these nothing too detailed just a drawer number which will run sequentially about the walls. 

I also have some lidded takeaway containers which I  have numbered so it should be a quick process to look at the app and find its location for any given item.

Something to do while the paint, glue dries.

Best

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Your correct Rob, but at least if I find something not in its place my app will tell me where it should be so it's still a win win for me...………. I hope.   :victory:

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken inspiration from Ade [he of Malmesbury Station build] doing his ballasting and got on today to finish my track wiring.  I just needed to connect up the finishing track ends, job done.

Now I can get on with my ballasting, hard standing and stone setts areas as long as I don't get side tracked again.

Best.

Edited by Barnaby
Punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Rod there is a clue in my signature pertaining to my work ethic the word slowly.

Today I've been trying to make some more work space by getting out the rolled up carpet from the corner of my hobby cabin.

The carpet is from the bedrooms as new has just been fitted so I'm going to use it to further insulate the floor as it's quality stuff not foam backed, mush too good to dispose of but it was the wrong colour for the 2 newly decorated bedrooms so SHWMBO says. :blum:

Also started the tool clear up off the baseboard top which has become a dumping ground for many things, even did a test run end to end with the Fowler, all good.

While doing a check inspection of all the wiring I found that I had a dead piece of track, a small 3 inch piece that came up to the middle board end join.  The keep alive was keeping me running so I'll add 2 dropper wires in tomorrow or maybe just solder a small piece of bridging wire to each track rail which ever is easiest.

Placed a few ** Kellogg box** buildings to get a feel for the Yard workings.

Looking forward to tomorrow's cabin time.

Best

• Like 6

Cut and pieced in 2/3rds of the cabin floor with the old bedroom carpet ……………………… getting a little concerned that SHMBO has ideas on me decamping out to the hobby cabin. :o

Decided to go for these simple couplings which will require me to make up a bending jig like this.

1440381304_wirejig.jpg.3318305e9fcf95c784660d3175b107f0.jpg

These are based on the Lincs coupler but simpler to make up. 

They consist of some wire bent to a hook shape, a small piece of brass tube held between 2 bends on the wire with a small amount of lead to counter balance the hook in the raised position.

When the hook passes over a magnet it will get pulled down allowing the hooks to slide by each other and uncouple.

To couple up you just push against each wagon hook which pushes each hook out the way and couples up then you pull away.

• Like 4

My scratch build aid a station warehouse come factory has arrived. just now got to decide where the door goes left end or right end.  I'm tempted to cut one of the windows out to double the door width and create an unloading/loading platform.1385890327_stationwarehouse.jpg.31d4978b9bd740b1b5f741f8d693e6df.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 4

Funny you should allude to "camping out in the railway cabin". My wife wishes that my shed had a wash room added and she could put in a microwave and a fridge and I could be self contained! However she was only joking.....or was she?

Rod

• Like 3
  • Funny 2