7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

Hello, a short update.

I've contacted Robin after perusing his posts and he has kindly made available what he is using.  His spreadsheet workings look very similar to those which I have been reviewing but considerably neater, less cells to fill in.  Extra detail can be added should I get the time or have the need but initially I will be able to describe the wagon, its load, its ID and where it's bound for.

Seems ideal so thank you Robin that will save me a lot of work, and I've already started to modify it to my ideas.

I'll be continuing with this in the background and as a change from layout work.

Best

EDIT:  a quick link for ref  >>>  http://www.westportterminal.de/operation.html

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Hello, a short update.

I've contacted Robin after perusing his posts and he has kindly made available what he is using.  His spreadsheet workings look very similar to those which I have been reviewing but considerably neater, less cells to fill in.  Extra detail can be added should I get the time or have the need but initially I will be able to describe the wagon, its load, its ID and where it's bound for.

Seems ideal so thank you Robin that will save me a lot of work, and I've already started to modify it to my ideas.

I'll be continuing with this in the background and as a change from layout work.

Best

Hi,

I'm glad you found the spreadsheet useful.

I've found that it can used for all sorts of layouts from quite simple to much more complicated ones with multiple destinations and exchanges. Its also very easy to change, and adapt to your own way of working, unlike some of the software based ones.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. 

After some chatting with George T of this parish about his various uses for FOAMEX sheets I have ordered a small selection of 3 & 5mm A4 sheets as a nice to have supply.

Over on George's layout build for Moss Lane you can find that George has used FOAMEX as track underlay, made buildings from it and also a tray/shelf to hold his DCC control unit on so it is very versatile.

First thing I will build is a custom fit tray unit for my DCC control box which is some 10" x 7" & 11/2" thick so some A4 sheets should be just right.

Best

• Like 3

Hi Barnaby - I haven't posted much on here for a long time but my ironstone layout is making slow (actually very slow) progress. You may recall from that layout (and my previous 'Minimum Space' layout) that I have used both 3mm and 5mm Daler Rowney foamboard.  I use 3mm for buildings and 5mm for boards, including the traverser I made some time ago and posted on here. I've uploaded some of the pictures here again in case you can't find them. I've also recently made a tray for my DCC box, with a lift out panel for the Peco Smartfrogs. This panel will be covered and the whole of the front of the layout will be hidden by a black foamboard fascia.

356581900_ControlPanel.jpg.85ac1eacac7a13874003624f93a531a5.jpg

Foamboard1.jpg.7e1b642fb91906671c6d3989923661dd.jpg

Traverser.jpg.d051b51d5c8edf56a4580599c2770744.jpg

1068110891_HutShell1.jpg.a42126f10de91423a8e06428b5f79d58.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello Warspite nice to hear from you.

Thanks for the heads up and I will certainly review your builds for sure.  Yes that tray is what I am going to do and coincidently I have the same Sig-na Trak DCC controller as you.

Looks like a bit of a fuddle to make the wire outputs work as they pop out of the units back. 

I'll set it down a little and maybe tilt the tray slope so that I can run the leads under the layout board directly which I should be abler to do as I have the board top set at 30" off the floor.

I'll have to go and revisit your model world to re-enjoy your work again and to check I've not missed anything.  :sungum::swoon:

Just to finish on FOAMEX has a subtle difference to foam board in that it is faced with PVC not board and gives a more solid cut line and overall strength to any build.

It is a little more expensive but not much more.

Best regards

EDIT  EDIT  EDIT

I had missed that you had been unwell, quite seriously so it looks like.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip on FOAMEX.

I forgot to say that I included a cubby hole underneath the SmartFrogs to keep my uncoupling pen and the Sig-na Trak stylus. Just stops me losing them! 

Edited by Warspite
"Losing" instead of "using"!
  • Like 2

PT10222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg....................... Knock knock It's the postman.

Got my 10 off PVC foam sheets 3mm thick today, thanks for the insight George T it is a very stable product with a good feel to it.

I'll have a play about with making up a dcc controller shelf first. 

Regards

222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Knock knock It's the postman.

Got my 10 off PVC foam sheets 3mm thick today, thanks for the insight George T it is a very stable product with a good feel to it.

I'll have a play about with making up a dcc controller shelf first. 

222713601_3mmpvcfoamsheetx10.jpg.93fc4e1bc4abfab1a48d54817afee0d4.jpg

Regards

Great news Barnaby,  to join the pieces together l use 'Zap-A Gap' superglue it sticks very well, remove the protective coating and you will find a really nice surface underneath, they use the board for printing signs on...

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Back to changing over the point control to surface mount DCC Concepts SS point motors.  Strip out the old push-me-pull-me wire in tube operating Blue point actuator parts.

Now to wire up the hinge down PCB control board once I've cut out wire entry/exit holes.

Each PCB controls 2 point motors.

874328189_pcbpanel.jpg.99080dce997dc2ad5eba54b817e40515.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Not much modelling going on here just now.

Too much gardening and e-bike things happening.

From a catch up on Ades layout Malmesbury I was interested in some coal yard items he had  purchased and which he kindly forward the address for me .

I have just ordered a set of 11 pieces they do look sweet.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124789816514?hash=item1d0e0d7cc2:g:BSwAAOSwCuBgSLkw

John Chivers via EBay.  

7mm Scale 3D printed Coal Yard Equipment O gauge

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 8

Well a great delivery took place this morning a little box of atmosphere arrived. 

503486144_coalyard1c.jpg.6317ad8118b8366e162ed693c8542568.jpg

Aren't they gorgeous, 11 pieces in total.

Now to put them safely away so I will be able to find them when I need to populate my layout.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124789816514?hash=item1d0e0d7cc2:g:BSwAAOSwCuBgSLkw

John Chivers via EBay.  

7mm Scale 3D printed Coal Yard Equipment O gauge

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Probably best to update here with my post off PeterBB so this is in sync, this is what I wrote there.

Hello Peter that's rather spooky as after a rather lazy period ignoring my railway and concentrating on some gardening and replacing the whirly-gig for the washing that had blown over for a change of work I was today getting to grips with the wiring set up. 

I sorted out all the plug and play leads I need so I can order up and try them all out,  fortunately 4 of the 5 points are on the middle of 3 boards and the single is on the 3rd board so with the drop down pcb panel fitting under the middle board I should soon be active and be live.

Best

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right trying hard to get my mojo into top gear and taking some err a lot of inspiration from various forum people in particular Andy P of Bute Rd.

I received these Friday just gone from the postie.

They are some pluggable Choc-block and some fiddle yard to layout rail alignment ends, they're quite clever and will allow my cassettes to self align.

Now to build up a wire matrix for connecting onto the Mimic board, relay pcb control and DCC using the choc-block.

241340833_10221750206997067_3936133845869483435_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Crunch time -- Long story short. 

Coincidence, right place right time, fit the bill all the before.

I read on FB that a local group of friends were going to make a show to benefit the Severn Valley Railway and have some interesting items on show for 0 Gauge modellers.

The concept expanded into having 7 layouts I thinks and some shop outlets too, Jim McGeown of Connoisseur models to name one.

It turned out to be a very successful 2 day event and very much enjoyed by all who attended.

Now the coincidental bit -- one of the committee recently put a layout up for sale on a site I am a member of and it pinged me.

Now recently I have stalled working on my own build layout by reason of a bad back which if I get under the layout my disc slip.

So here was an opportunity if suitable to get me a running dcc working layout which at 10ft would be just right.

Today I went to visit and did the deal.  This will now allow me to play trains while taking it easy on my own build giving my back time to recover. 

Going forward I may name change the new layout, add to the single track fiddle yard or make it cassette based.  It is TMD set at the moment but I may want to do some minor tweaks to make it more freight biased but initially I will just enjoy playing.

Here it is >>>

2073595509_Harry1.jpg.941cd7eace7d7407f90f768a77ab07f2.jpg461934535_Harry1.jpg.217bccbffbb0ba93449cc8512837c4f5.jpg

493997549_harry4.jpg.ac620ec1f3a3377e990d9d18f2d62419.jpg1232276436_harry4.jpg.6a5441f4a6e469dd3c69587c8dd67fc8.jpg

................ and the wiring is neat with some nifty touches I can learn from.

881482858_harry5.jpg.2e7c8ad2ba2314b022fc63e294781a4f.jpg1466915313_harry5.jpg.0bd1d6a55bee41d68cadb4140de1ab57.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
SPELLING
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

That's a result, ready to play too....excellent ! 

Looking forward to more on this one.

Erm....how did you manage to sneak it in passed the missus ? :D

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

Well it is all set up so I'll be giving it a test drive tomorrow to prove all the electrics. :good:

The DCC is nattily done between the boards by using the engineers pegs that align the 2 boards to feed the DCC through.  Also there are 2 bus bars made from tinned single core copper wire, one front and one rear that run from left to right which the track connects to.

Similarly the top catches feed to 12 volt dc for signals and some strip led lighting, very cleverly done,  I'll pop some close up photos tomorrow.

I want to steer it away from the TDM it is now to more of a freight based location to allow for more shunting and wagon shows.   However I just want to play at first but I will be giving it some thoughts.

See you tomorrow.  :boast:

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 7

Mark

Very sorry to read about your bad back. I've never had a slipped disc but do know how painful a back injury can be.

I saw the layout for sale on that Facebook site and thought it looked an absolute beauty. If I wasn't so committed to my current ironstone project I would have been very tempted myself. I'm so pleased for you as it gives you the opportunity to get something running and you can then adapt it for your own interests. I'll be following progress ... and we will need more pictures!

Stephen 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A little more on the origins of this layout. >>>

Portobello Road Tmd [Layout name may change]
O Gauge, 7mm Scale
Under new ownership but superbly built originally by Paul Challenor.

Portobello Road is A Fictional BR Blue Era Layout. 1980s.
The Layout is Built Set to A Scale of 7mm Or O Gauge, Controlled by Sig-na Trak DCC, with 2 x locomotives in Sound so far.

Locos Are a Fowler by Ixion and a kit built JLTRT 20.

The Layout Measures 8ft 7ins x 18 the Track is Peco, With Hand Built Points, Operated Manually Using Push Rod from the Front and Back Using the Blue Point Switching Gear.

The Brick Arches Buildings Are Skytrex (Modified) Along With Scratch Built Engine Shed That Has Been Scaled Up from the Bachmann OO Single Track Diesel Locomotive Servicing Shed Along With the Heavy Lift Crane Scaled Up from the OO Ratio Kit.
Vehicles Are from the Oxford Range, Once Again Weathered.
The Lighting For the Layout is A Strip of Leds For Its Illumination.

The future

1/   To replace the single road fiddle yard with a cassette system.

2/   Extend the line up to 10ft yet to be decided how much to each end or just one end maybe.  I think the middle line left hand end would benefit from some extra length and wouldn't be too disruptive to make happen.  I'm thinking that line will be better if it was a head shunt and a little longer to hold some more wagons.

3/   I like Ian's suggestion of a WRD to allow for more wagons on show [thanks Ian] but I need to check what loads that would take maybe paint, steel, wood, chemicals, fuel ummmmn.......

4/   Could I fit a run around loop in?

5/    Maybe a name change?

All these ideas trigger other ideas but the layout is finished to a very high standard and I don't want to muck it up with too much altering so for now it'll be just the cassette and play trains.

At least the shorter line ends will mean more shunting moves to move all the necessary wagons to the right places which will be fun. :lol:

PJ10 asked if I was going to start a new thread?

I'm not sure just yet as I'd like to keep the original thread but maybe include a sticky or first page menu of what's where, dunno, still thinking about it.  :scratchhead:

Real life matters needed my attention today but I did get to confirm the wiring so the loco driving will now be happening tomorrow once I connect my DCC controller and a 12 Vdc PS to the layout.   :good:

Best

Edit: I forgot to thank Andy he of many builds and sales of layouts for his help with my decision making process for Portobello Road,  Thanks Andy.

Edited by Barnaby
Thank you Andy
  • Like 6