7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

While doing other less interesting than model train things I received this.>>>

post-1159-0-75204700-1487176097_thumb.jpg

Stop the hoovering make a cup of tea and have a look.

The new project keeps getting in the way of completing King Street Goods.

Also I intend to build a simple up/down, in/out hoist after first proving the idea with lego bits. 

Well the principle works just not sure what the practice will show.

Ahh the joys of spring are here.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

HELP

I intend is to go Micro on my new as yet "Layout with no name".

Several things are occurring through the planning stage.

1/  Micro seems to be coming out at about 12Ft x 18Inches due to trying to install run-a-round loops etc.

2/  New layout is starting to look very like the one I'm presently finishing, how odd???  I'm getting very close to just calling it a learning process with the present build and shutting it down and starting up the NEW layout but I am fighting that urge just now.

Sooooooo when you start a new project what is it that gives it a difference, the location setting, totally different track plan, industries & passenger stock, or do you just like the building process.

Seems little point in me building basically the same track plan except for the "I know I can build it better" philosophy.  Maybe also stripping things back to basics it is track on a baseboard, so how many different ways are there to position it?

Anybody got any clues as to what keeps your fires of interest burning?.  I think for me it will be installing a working hoist and other loads removal/addition means.

Edited by Barnaby

Barnaby, what floats my boat may not float yours, but...

I have a long term project. It's been a more-or-less constant theme since 1998. All my rolling stock, and any scenic items I build, are destined, eventually for a shed layout, for which I do not yet have agreement, planning or foundations, let alone a shed. The kids have pretty much stopped insisting on playing footie in the garden, so, perhaps, one day...

If you look back over my threads, you'll see that the first layout was no more than a sceniced, glorified test track, on which I ran, fettled & maintained my stock. The current layout is actually, hopefully, a module which will eventually be incorporated in the grand plan.

And the current Garratt loco will run there too, as a PO engine between quarry and interchange.

If I get bored with scenery, I'll build a loco or a coach or a wagon. If I feel like a change, I'll build a boat or a building or some other scenic addition. I can ring the changes, and yet still move towards a future goal. Hoping I get there, but if I don't, we'll, it's been fun on the road. I think this variety serves to maintain interest.

One other thought, if you reckon you could build your last layout "better", what particular aspects of it would you change? Why? What does "better" mean to you? Maybe building a mkll version of the last layout is exactly what you need to do to exorcise that particular ghost?

Don't give up the faith, keep modelling and keep posting, don't worry too much, as the mojo can wander off at times, but it usually finds its way home eventually.

Hope it helps,

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Sound advice from Simon.  One of the great features of the hobby is that encompasses such a wide variety of activities, and thanak goodness for that. Wiring and track ballasting take me ages because they are so boring and I need to pep myself up with spme more exciting. This is why I usually have several projects on the go, some part of the grand plan and others that serve only to entertain. I also enjoy building kits of post-war RAF and Fleet Air Arm aircraft, especially jets. I have an Airfix 1:48 Sea Vixen and a 1:48 Wessex helicopter (of the type that carted me around South Armagh during The Troubles) waiting to be built. The new 1:48 Airfix Gloster Meteor F8 is very tempting and I must finish that Tamiya 1:35 Cromwell tank. So don't worry, it's only a hobby and it's meant to be fun. Finally,  I think there are two types of railway modeller viz those who have periods when enthusiasm wanes or lapses...and those who tell lies.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

For me it's the journey from the back of an envelope through all the stages to the fruit of my labour. Like Chris I to have other interests like:----

post-185-0-91607600-1488564929_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-62096900-1488564948_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-53042100-1488564975_thumb.jpg

1/35thxRadio Controlled stand off scale LCT with a Cromwell amongst others .

• Like 2

Hi Barnaby, fellas,

Its a fine line isnt it!?

Fun vs accuracy, doing ones best, time, cost, effort, challenging ones self, satisfaction in a job well done etc etc.

I have lots of interests. Rlys, RC cars (less so these days), RC ships and boats. For last 15 yrs, 7mm & SM32 have taken up all of my modelling time. Our H&BLR, which is K.I.S.S, was up and running quite quickly. Down Ampney was to be a 0-16.5 layout with some std gauge....then;-'....with not much more effort we could do a U from garage to garage via the garden and 16' of scenic section should be a quicky too=WRONG!

I have Draycott Camp Halt to play with (thanks to Marc Smith), yet thats not been played with for awhile either.

Does one take a break and model something else (a change is as good as a rest) or keep the momentum going? Reading about-and corresponding with-David Jenkinson, Im reminded that he had his down turns too (Little Long Drag in 4mm?). IIRC, at one stage, he went off and helped his son/sons build a USA outline N gauge layout. He enjoyed it, learned lots from it and came back refreshed with great ideas, ending up with his final-superb-indoor 7mm layout (one prior 7mm layout had too tight a radii on the points=poor running) as well as a G1 outdoor line!

Speaking to a skilled modeller of On30 (and IIRC Gn15??) stylee, recently, he mentioned that he only models what he can get done/finished in a given time, so smaller-thus achievable-layouts.

If one looks at kit cars, classic cars/bikes, kit-aircraft (especially 'plans-based') etc, even 7mm loco kits, how many get finished?! David Parkin told me once hed sold lots of 08 kits-but had only seen a hand full running (in precis and not verbatim).

It all boils down to, judging by some RTR fettling Ive been doing, if one is enjoying it or not, ie the journey is more important than the destination. Having said that I like playing trains, shunting and roundy, roundy and not have Down Ampney 'substantially complete' is annoying at times too!

I hope that I have helped-a bit?!

Atvb,

CME

• Like 1

For me it's the journey from the back of an envelope through all the stages to the fruit of my labour. Like Chris I to have other interests like:----

attachicon.gifP1090010.JPG

attachicon.gifP1090011.JPG

attachicon.gifP1090013.JPG

1/35thxRadio Controlled stand off scale LCT with a Cromwell amongst others .

Mike,

The sea looked quite convincing at first glance.

CK

• RMweb Gold

HELP

I intend is to go Micro on my new as yet "Layout with no name".

Several things are occurring through the planning stage.

1/  Micro seems to be coming out at about 12Ft x 18Inches due to trying to install run-a-round loops etc.

2/  New layout is starting to look very like the one I'm presently finishing, how odd???  I'm getting very close to just calling it a learning process with the present build and shutting it down and starting up the NEW layout but I am fighting that urge just now.

Sooooooo when you start a new project what is it that gives it a difference, the location setting, totally different track plan, industries & passenger stock, or do you just like the building process.

Seems little point in me building basically the same track plan except for the "I know I can build it better" philosophy.  Maybe also stripping things back to basics it is track on a baseboard, so how many different ways are there to position it?

Anybody got any clues as to what keeps your fires of interest burning?.  I think for me it will be installing a working hoist and other loads removal/addition means.

Hi Barnaby,

I think its partly the fact that you get so far through a project and then think, if I could wipe the board clean and start again, I could do that bit better, that bit I wouldn't do like that again, etc.. etc.. etc..  I also find that things develop and issues or 'inclusions' that you hadn't thought about come to mind.

For me, I generally work on the premise that if I'm having doubts after a few weeks, why am I having doubts, what don't I like - and then, are those doubts going to niggle away continuously!  If they are, are stop it, sit back and consider where to go next.  But like Simon said, everyone is different. For me, I'm now quite happy and convinced with my 'BIG' project, but a move of house, likely sooner rather than later, but sometime this year, means I can't progress, hence why I've started my little portable layout of Arksey.  It gives me something to do, try out new things, small so its easily achievable and yet everything that I learn through doing it will used to build the 'BIG' project. So for me its a bit of a stop gap rather than a change of mind.  But loco wise, etc like Simon, everything will get built into the bigger project in time.

I think if your new layout is looking remarkably similar to the old one, id be tempted to step back, take a fresh view, and say a) why is it the same?  Is it just the track-layout or what your proposing to do with it, and b) if its the same, what am I going to do on the new one, that I can't on the old - which one is the better and which one is worth continuing with?

Just my tuppence input!

Rich

• Like 2

Thanks all great to feel I'm not alone in my thoughts and that you all have differing ways of dealing with them.

Back to my layout finishing, one common thread seems to be is step back and do something else.  I think that is one of my difficulties in that I have been doing that but then when I return I think I could I should do that differently.

A prime example of this is I had all my point work controlled through my DCC switching digitally by Megapoints circuitry which also route set and displayed too.  I pulled all that off the baseboard and went electro mechanical using Bullfrog TOU's.   Going forward on my new layout I have changed over to Blue-Point units for myy point work.

Yes Chris I too thought even the bed quilt cover was purchased to mate with the model.

Thanks again all    ........................ I'm re-inspired.  :locomotive:  :jester:

• Like 2

I agree, take a step back, have some pondering time.....

I have found books such as David Jenkinson's Historical Rly Modelling and some of Paul A. Lunn's check lists for layout construction, very useful, Iain Rice's jottings too.

Having written that, Crewchester went on - in several different guises/formats/control systems - for over 50 yrs, Rev Peter Denny's layouts too, so similar aint always a bad thing. As long as such satisfies your modelling, wants and needs, makes you happy and is enjoyable then....

....However as you seem to have some doubts, take some time to ponder why before commiting more time, effort and costs.

ATVB

CME.

In an attempt to move things on and complete "King Street Goods" I'm looking at making up a simple back scene.  Basically nothing more than a 12"" tall piece of mdf strip to delineate the edge of the world. 

I was going to have low relief along there but I will have mainly flat cut out building fronts stuck to the mdf, with blue/grey rattle can sky showing elsewhere.

Next thing is to work out the support structure for it.

Onward to achieve its finish as the sooner finished the sooner I can start my next project the "layout with no name"   Yeee haaa.

Best..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not much modelling been done of late but plenty of garden and shed improvements made.

The garden has had the lawn scarified while the sun shone this week.

In the shed I have cut 12 inched of my bench width down to 24 inches to gain some walk about space.

I also added some new racking so that I can now see the layout as every flat surface previously had got something stored on it.  It does mean I can also find things mush easier as well which is a great bonus.

I also had an issue with 1 of my wagons losing its rocking axle and remembered Chris Klein had described a simple system which I thought I had noted but couldn't find it.

Fortunately a couple of members answered my call for help and pointed me in the right direction so I will be doing that this week end as the wet weather is due to arrive Saturday.

On plan #52 for the "layout with no name" still need to convince my self that less is more as I feel I may get bored if I don't have many points to operate and sidings to shunt.  Whereas if I have less there will be more space for some scenic interest which will look better.  I intend to have a working hoist and have the basic design and motors in the new project box along with some thoughts on a tippler.  I'm trying to have two types of delivery/collection for each siding eg rolls of steel delivered in and 40 gal drums collected while at the end of the same siding it enters a warehouse behind a shutter door for the loads to be emptied similarly empty wagons could arrive and be loaded there. 

Onward and forward..................... :sungum:

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hind sight is a wonderful thing. Sometimes I look at Ramchester and say to myself "I wish I had done that bit differently" or similar wourd but at present I am still very happy with it. Over the years it has given me and Howard a great deal of plrasure and I am sure it will do so for some time to come but there are things that I would have done differently if I had known. A new project is always exciting and my proposed German layout will I hope give me something different to work on especially as my German is very limited - what a challenge.

Rod

• Like 1

Hello Rod seeing as you are going in the Germany direction have you had a look at the 1 to 45 Forum?  It's a continental based Forum and run by Tim Hale who is/used to be on here. 

I'll just go and grab the link>>> http://www.1to45.co.uk/  I visit from time to time as it is always interesting.

Best.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some dcc issues of late resulting in my Fowler needing to visit the chip doctor Paul M. at EDM/NGtrains for some therapy.

After a few days stay Paul emailed me to say he had only needed to re-set the chip and then re-blow it and all was well. 

He did say he had taken the opportunity to re-blow with the newer software so another bonus there.  This version requires you to brake the loco when driving it otherwise it will coast for a g e s.  It's said to give the loco some real mass and presence, I'm not sure yet of the other differences.

So I wait until my special loco delivery on Tuesday coming then I will have my loco chirping and squealing again.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

While there has been a dirth of loco movements I took the opportunity to sort some insulation out for the hobby-room.  The inside walls are already ply skinned and have a tar paper water proof membrane but it does suffer from temperature swings.  How the room is positioned means it gets most of the sun on its roof so that's where I am lining first. 

I'm using Jablite insulation boards from B&Q and they're ready to go, I just need to complete the cable sleeving protection before I start.  There's only the lighting feeds up there so not much to sleeve.

Best

• Like 1

Number 4 is home and well.

It arrived all nicely housed in its special sculptured box.

I unboxed it to admire then took it up to my hobby room and placed on my track.

I powered up my Lenz unit and fired her up. . . . .  splutter cough bang and away it puttered.

Thanks EDM Paul, I do like the new version sound project the F2 braking is excellent.  Fooled me the first time in that I didn't realise I had to release the brake to set off again but that was soon sorted.

Liking it a lot but got to go out now so I'll be having a bigger play tomorrow.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm rather enjoying my Fowler with its new revised software particularly the F2 braking.

It needs a little more play time to get familiar with it when stopping over my magnets for un-coupling but I'm getting there.  Reduce speed to potter speed, apply brakes then when ready reduce loco power to 0 and with a squeal and a hiss it stops.

It's really good I can smell the diesel on my clothes.

Moving on I put up my back scene on Saturday using my ply and some back supports as per Mike's.  I've never got on with hardboard always preferring ply but one positive with hardboard is its finished side is very good.

A couple of coats of paint should see the job done as most will be covered with wall or builds the little showing will get an extra coat of stormy weather grey nothing too fancy.

Best

• Like 2

While there has been a dirth of loco movements I took the opportunity to sort some insulation out for the hobby-room.  The inside walls are already ply skinned and have a tar paper water proof membrane but it does suffer from temperature swings.  How the room is positioned means it gets most of the sun on its roof so that's where I am lining first. 

I'm using Jablite insulation boards from B&Q and they're ready to go, I just need to complete the cable sleeving protection before I start.  There's only the lighting feeds up there so not much to sleeve.

Best

Hi Barnaby,

I wish that I had better insulated the garage for Down Ampney, its a workshop now as opposed to a garage or room....the latter would have been great though!

If a lottery win ever appears (Id better start buying a ticket first!), a fully insulated layout space would be on the cards with Norman Solomon track!

Dream on, dream on....Ha Ha!

BTW any chance of a video of the Fowler, when youve gotten used to it?

Kindest regards,

CME.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eagerly awaiting for my delivery from Intentio to arrive, should be here tomorrow Wednesday.  I've ordered some warehouse module sections as some testers for back scene fillers.  

This is to test some ideas I have for my new project "the layout with no name", still not got one by the way. 

I haven't finished my existing build, King Street Goods yet so they may end up on it as I want to test out assembly and painting and GW-ising of the laser cut mdf parts. 

http://intentio.co.uk/  There is some remarkable work to be found on there.

Now where is that tin of mdf sealing paint?

Best.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

Eagerly awaiting for my delivery from Intentio to arrive, should be here tomorrow Wednesday.  I've ordered some warehouse module sections as some testers for back scene fillers.  

This is to test some ideas I have for my new project "the layout with no name", still not got one by the way. 

I haven't finished my existing build, King Street Goods yet so they may end up on it as I want to test out assembly and painting and GW-ising of the laser cut mdf parts. 

http://intentio.co.uk/  There is some remarkable work to be found on there.

Now where is that tin of mdf sealing paint?

Best.

Just checked the tracking and it looks like it will be delivered tomorrow....

Cheers Phil for the update, The Wednesday was a guesstimate by me so I'll eagerly await the delivery today being Thursday instead. :sungum:

I cut the lawns and trimmed some of the smaller trees and bushes yesterday Wednesday instead.

Best

Edited by Barnaby