7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

WRD would generally receive empty wagons to facilitate repairs, so you can have wagons of any type coming in for repair, You could have wheelsets arriving and departing by train as well as timber boards for door repairs etc, and vans with general stores items.

you can have a jacking area, for wheel and bogie changes, overhead crane for emptying wheelsets, and reloading worn wheels to go away to workshops for turning. So plenty of options without the need to change anything except the sign on the shed

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well this afternoon I plugged in my Sig-na Trak DCC controller, placed my Fowler on track and fired it up.  I selected a suitable long route the ground signals greened on and with a toot off we trundled at a slow shunt.

I'll give all the track a going over tomorrow to make it bright and shiny and set about bringing the led strips into play but so far all good.

Best

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

Spent the afternoon assembling 3 x ht adjustable trestles purchased from B&Q. 

Probably the reason they were at a good price but it was a little awkward to manage holding while inserting bolts then adding their nuts trying to keep it all together.

Tomorrows task is to make some space in the shed for the part-build layout and place Portobello in a more permanent place on top of the raised trestles at about 44inches high.  That may require tweaking so that not only will it look better to view but can I work on the layout at that height not sure?

2nd task will be to power up the Led strip tape lighting for the layout, it is all fitted just needs 12Vdc applying.

Play time is nearly here...............

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As promised I have removed the part built layout boards that was to be King Street and replaced them with 3 x 42inch high trestles with a support board of 9mm ply over it like this.

903890932_Portobello1.jpg.4747588d7a544806eab4a73c573098fa.jpg

I then placed Portobello Road on top and plugged it all in and gave power on

Then all the Led strip lighting lit the layout up very well, see.

1463518966_Portobello2.jpg.4aff2930505754d11386e49fd4a3aff9.jpg

Finally a general view showing the fowler sitting under the footbridge.

2073613668_Portobello3.jpg.8583522b41dc38e2c47f83f8d506719a.jpg

Still one or two dirty track spots to clean up tomorrow and give the loco wheels a rub too but so far so good.   :sungum:

Edited by Barnaby
add a photo
  • Like 13

On 14/10/2021 at 20:22, Barnaby said:

Spent the afternoon assembling 3 x ht adjustable trestles purchased from B&Q. 

Probably the reason they were at a good price but it was a little awkward to manage holding while inserting bolts then adding their nuts trying to keep it all together.

Tomorrows task is to make some space in the shed for the part-build layout and place Portobello in a more permanent place on top of the raised trestles at about 44inches high.  That may require tweaking so that not only will it look better to view but can I work on the layout at that height not sure?

2nd task will be to power up the Led strip tape lighting for the layout, it is all fitted just needs 12Vdc applying.

Play time is nearly here...............

Good morning

I have 4 similar trestles from Screwfix.  I find them very useful.  Some of the nuts and bolts need replacing as they were not of the best quality and I will use locking nuts.  Plus a little additional bracing / reinforcement.  But very very handy....

I had a couple of second hand flush doors that could be used to create a temporary sub base.

Allows 'playing' at short notice :-)

• Agree 1

Hello Ernie I agree with your comments particularly on the nuts not being locking ones.  I intend to add a dab of Evo stick or silicone glue to stop nut spin off.

The Trestles definitely allow for a speedy "play time" to be set up.  The top ply board I used was one from another layout I was building so helping the world to be greener by recycling it.  🤪

Thanks for commenting.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 12:55, Barnaby said:

Crunch time -- Long story short. 

Coincidence, right place right time, fit the bill all the before.

I read on FB that a local group of friends were going to make a show to benefit the Severn Valley Railway and have some interesting items on show for 0 Gauge modellers.

The concept expanded into having 7 layouts I thinks and some shop outlets too, Jim McGeown of Connoisseur models to name one.

It turned out to be a very successful 2 day event and very much enjoyed by all who attended.

Now the coincidental bit -- one of the committee recently put a layout up for sale on a site I am a member of and it pinged me.

Now recently I have stalled working on my own build layout by reason of a bad back which if I get under the layout my disc slip.

So here was an opportunity if suitable to get me a running dcc working layout which at 10ft would be just right.

Today I went to visit and did the deal.  This will now allow me to play trains while taking it easy on my own build giving my back time to recover. 

Going forward I may name change the new layout, add to the single track fiddle yard or make it cassette based.  It is TMD set at the moment but I may want to do some minor tweaks to make it more freight biased but initially I will just enjoy playing.

Here it is >>>

2073595509_Harry1.jpg.941cd7eace7d7407f90f768a77ab07f2.jpg

493997549_harry4.jpg.ac620ec1f3a3377e990d9d18f2d62419.jpg

................ and the wiring is neat with some nifty touches I can learn from.

881482858_harry5.jpg.2e7c8ad2ba2314b022fc63e294781a4f.jpg

Get well soon buddy, can you get physio help, if not, PM me there's several good videos on line. Gently does it.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks CME I do have a way the doc said to try which does work for me if my disc has slipped mainly backwards.  Basically I lay on the floor and put my feet on my wife's thighs while she walks towards me.  This stretches my spine and rolls my spine up allowing any disc to be moved back into line.  There's a bit more to it  but that's how it works.

I'm ok as long as I don't stress it or move too quickly normally resting it allows it to settle and become ok again.

Best

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

First thoughts on updating work to be done...........

Name will change:  To Portobello Road Freight to feed my wagon/shunt interest.

Add a 2nd lane to fiddle yard.

Change crane and TDM workshop position end for end.

Change TDM workshop into a Factory.

Work on a shunting sequence listing, random or specified.

1317637135_MAKINGNEWSIGNAGE.jpg.9ec6bc3b18cf1a80edb3cdb84f62e553.jpg

21683426_PortobeIloRoadFREIGHT.jpg.1a87ce3c7b923e54f3b0969f4d242661.jpg

to be continued............

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 7

This afternoon I have been making up a piece of signage to cover up the TDM part of PORTOBELLO ROAD TDM layout sign.  It will now read PORTOBELLO ROAD FREIGHT.

445366845_MAKINGNEWSIGNAGE.jpg.047f54ef87e5bb532348beef46585402.jpg

703063007_MAKINGNEWSIGNAGE.jpg.1c18b09f3602cfe060c6a4cd0800fd34.jpg

Next is to GREY spray paint it and pick out the letters in YELLOW and fix it in front of the letters TDM.   This will allow me to quickly remove it if I want to change back to TDM operation.

This new sign has gone together so quickly that I'll make up another named WRD as the basic layout will stand operating as Freight or as a TDM or as a WRD.

3 different operating scenarios from the 1 layout.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 4

On 16/10/2021 at 09:41, The Bigbee Line said:

Good morning

I have 4 similar trestles from Screwfix.  I find them very useful.  Some of the nuts and bolts need replacing as they were not of the best quality and I will use locking nuts.  Plus a little additional bracing / reinforcement.  But very very handy....

I had a couple of second hand flush doors that could be used to create a temporary sub base.

Allows 'playing' at short notice :-)

I bought several pairs from a discount online supplier a few years back, they're very adaptable/useful.

I wrote a couple of articles for two magazines on them and various baseboard support systems/options.

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

This afternoon I have been making up a piece of signage to cover up the TDM part of PORTOBELLO ROAD TDM layout sign.  It will now read PORTOBELLO ROAD FREIGHT.

445366845_MAKINGNEWSIGNAGE.jpg.047f54ef87e5bb532348beef46585402.jpg

Next is to GREY spray paint it and pick out the letters in YELLOW and fix it in front of the letters TDM.   This will allow me to quickly remove it if I want to change back to TDM operation.

This new sign has gone together so quickly that I'll make up another named WRD as the basic layout will stand operating as Freight or as a TDM or as a WRD.

3 different operating scenarios from the 1 layout.

All looking very nice, looking forward to seeing more in due course.

ATVB

CME

• Thanks 1

A little bit more signage work done.

WRD made up & both it & Freight have had one grey under coat.

FREIGHT  to be in YELLOW

WRD  to be in RED

356459_greyspraynewsignage.jpg.ccf68bd10ab51474d1fe4be18f6f320d.jpg

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Been out to the shed for a short Sunday shunt and to adjust the time scale of the Dimplex oil heaters.

Welding up the Range Rover....

511276981_SundayshuntA.jpg.631b0d3ad20d11a71a3cf3e634750577.jpg

......still welding up the Range Rover.

165397080_SundayshuntB).jpg.90e993627f4a6987dd85d408356c1984.jpg

Calling in the Chopper for a roof inspection.

1757078756_SundayshuntC).jpg.961f0c02c831aa2f8c48cf3e25e815d5.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just finished reading through this thread. Many thanks for posting the various ups & downs.

A question if I may?

A while ago you showed pictures of your Grainge & Hodder baseboards, including in one of them a baseboard end with pattern maker's dowels fitted. Did you get those with the baseboards or were they a separate purchase from elsewhere? I ask because I believe there are several retailers of the dowels and I don't know if their dowel sizes are all the same.

Thanks.

Hello Ray.

From memory I used the Pattern makers dowels >>>  https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/z_pop_FD2501.htm  Like these for which the board ends have a ready made locations imbedded and ready for positioning.  They are an interference fit into the ply so will hold themselves in place while they get screwed up tight. 

There are other types of dowels and these options are catered for too.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I was enjoying a few hours shunting some waggons Inglenook style when I noticed the 20 loco on one part of the track juddered? 

I completed my shunt and made a note to check that area of track out tomorrow.

Firstly the Fowler didn't show any problems on this particular track area, the only difference between the locos is that the Fowler has Stay Alive fitted.  On doing a cold track measure this track portion was found to be O/C and the Fowler Stay Alive was just floating smoothly  through.  I found a connection from one of the Blue Point point motors had become detached.  A quick touch of the solder gun and all was sorted.

Now that I am in wire tracing mode I remembered that the layout has overhead LED lighting fitted into the top façade and one strip had failed to light.  Now the layout is in 2 sections with pattern makers dowels to align the track and with lock over clasps to secure both the bottom and top of the boards. 

The clever bit is that the DCC was fed through Pattern makers dowels and the LEDs were fed through the 2 top lock over clasps so that when the 2 boards were joined up both boards were supplied with the correct voltage, nifty.  

After a little searching about in the LED wiring I found 2 breakages, both at the same clasp, the wire had parted on the inside and the clasp outside.

A small piece of choc-block sorted the inside break and a new solder tag fitted under the clasp to be secured by a fixing screw sorted that too.

592493024_wirebrk1.jpg.4e5d392bcc8070177da1a9fa3c89d22c.jpg

521331395_wirebrk2.jpg.47f5f1f506e227151d8828ebaa9b59ca.jpg

Both problems probably occurred when the layout was being re-homed from Harry Bradley's to my hobby shed.

Finally both areas have been tidied up with the choc-block hidden away and the wire shortened and placed under the clasp to hide it.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
add bold to text
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

THIS TOPIC IS GOING TO SLEEP WHILE THE NEW SERVER / HARD DRIVE IS RE-POPULATING ALL THE MANY MISSING PHOTOS.

I'M EXPECTING ALL THE PHOTOS THAT HAD BEEN ADDED TO MY TOPIC BY OTHER MEMBERS WILL ALSO GET FIXED.

IN THE MEAN TIME I CAN BE FOUND ON W.T. + G.O.G. + P1mrc FORUMS AMONGST OTHERS.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 5