'Dutch' Vans

David Jackson

I am currently building a pair of 'Dutch' Vans. One is to be of the original steam generator type, one of which is now running with the RPSI. The other is to be of the modified EGV type for use with the ex BR Mk 2 coaches.

I have plenty of information regarding the original steam generator vans, including roof detail, but I have no roof details of the EGV version.

If anyone can help with any pictures with roof detail for the EGV vans, I would be most grateful.

Progress to date for the EGV.

Built entirely from plasticard, except for the roof, which utilises two Triang Hornby LWB goods brake van roofs to get the basic arc for the roof. Plastic strip makes up the extra width. 

post-13499-0-67198000-1397231711_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Progress to date of the GSV.

The GSV is not entirely scratchbuilt, rather it is part recycled.

Last year at an exhibition, I picked up an old Triang Track Cleaning wagon, with no roof and a broken bogie, for £1.00.

Later in the year at another exhibition, I picked up an old Triang Transcontinental Reefer Boxcar with a broken roof also for £1.00.

The bogies were used to repair the track cleaning wagon, and the roof, after repair and adjustment, was also used on the track cleaner.

That left a perfectly good Reefer body. After checking the dimensions, it was found to be 1mm longer than a Dutch Van, but the width was fine. A bit of work with a fine saw and a file, saw the height reduced and the raised detail on the sides and ends removed, leaving a very useable shell for a Dutch Van.

Construction then followed that as described for the EGV.

The GSV is currently sitting on Jouef MK3 coach bogies, but these will ultimately be replaced with something more suitable at a later date. 

post-13499-0-94473400-1397464527_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-54023700-1397464573_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

After three months of being on the back burner, while looking for suitable materials, and looking for decent views of the roof detail, the 'steam heat' Dutch van has now received it's coat of primer. The grey primer, from Halfords, would normally reveal any imperfections in the construction of the vehicle, but I am glad to say the primer has revealed nothing worth talking about. The next step is to finish it off in RPSI livery, glaze it and finish the underframe.

The ETH version has also been on the back burner, for much the same reasons, and work has restarted on it, but it is a lot further behind.

From refrigerator van to heating van:-

post-13499-0-48529100-1406401500_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-16265300-1406401510_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-11608700-1406401782_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

NIce model.

Some information for you about EGVs and GSVs. BREL Mk 2 and 3 coaches used by CIE / IR / IE had electric heating and lighting which was powered by an electricity generating van (EGV). Cravens coaches and some others had steam heating and 'train line' electric lighting, which was provided from a generating steam van (GSV) producing both steam and electricity. These coaches had a TL suffix. I think they could be mixed in a train with other stock provided the TL coaches were next to the GSV, but I'm not sure on that. Ordinary stock had steam heating provided from a heating and luggage van (HLV), but ligthing was provided by a dynamo beneath the floor driven from a coach axle in the time honoured manner. So the 3 principal types of van in the late 70s, early 80s, which was the time I was paying most attention, were the HLV, GSV and EGV. The Dutch vans started off as GSVs, and you'd see them with Cravens stock. They were converted to EGVs to work with 2nd hand BR Mk2b stock as the older 1950s coaching stock was withdrawn.

But you probably knew all of that already.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Alan

Thanks Hairy Bear for the link. Very useful picture. However, as usual, if you want to build a model, get a picture of the actual vehicle you want to build. The roof detail on the van in the vid is actually different to that on the van I have almost finished. I did manage to get a good picture of the roof detail on the RPSI van, and used that. The difference is not major, and most people would never notice, but it would have bugged me had I got it wrong.

David

Thanks Hairy Bear for the link. Very useful picture. However, as usual, if you want to build a model, get a picture of the actual vehicle you want to build. The roof detail on the van in the vid is actually different to that on the van I have almost finished. I did manage to get a good picture of the roof detail on the RPSI van, and used that. The difference is not major, and most people would never notice, but it would have bugged me had I got it wrong.

David

Any chance of you posting the pictures you took of the van as I would find them useful for my own build of the Silver Fox model ?. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

After three years of being on and off the back burner, the EGV is finally complete. The long delay has been mainly due to lack of roof detail, and being overtaken by other projects, but eventually sufficient information was obtained for the build to proceed.

The pictures show the completed van, firstly in bare plastic, then in Halfords grey primer, and finally fully finished and painted.

The van is entirely made from plastic sheet, rod and strip. The only commercial parts used, were the two Hornby brake van roofs used to form the basic roof profile, the gangways are by Jouef, and the buffers are by MJT. As with the earlier RPSI van, the EGV is running on Jouef Mk 3 bogies, until such time as something more suitable comes along.

The final two pictures are of a couple of Hornby Mk 2s reliveried, to go with the EGV. As per the prototype vehicles, the InterCity logo is located in different positions on the coach sides.

post-13499-0-63949900-1501057197_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-54442800-1501057221_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-34544500-1501057239_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-13290200-1501057255_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-92886300-1501057277_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-10734500-1501057297_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-33954300-1501057315_thumb.jpg

post-13499-0-85399400-1501057334_thumb.jpg

• Like 3