M&SWJR wagons

The LSWR five plank open was a long standing stalwart in the ABS catalogue, but probably now only available second-hand.

A bit unfair on the South Western Circle, as they have, in the past, actively supported the modeller, with a number of useful castings available, and a few special etchings and plastic coach sides and roofs produced for members.  However, the membership, quite reasonably, concentrates on the historical aspect of the line, and sales dwindled to the point where they were selling ABS kits off at ridiculous prices, but there's a limit to the number of gunpowder wagons one needs! if no-one is buying, then it isn't worth the Sales Team wasting their effort. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, they should have invested in ABS and D&S kits, and they'd be laughing all the way to the bank, perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

The LSWR five plank open was a long standing stalwart in the ABS catalogue, but probably now only available second-hand.

A bit unfair on the South Western Circle, as they have, in the past, actively supported the modeller, with a number of useful castings available, and a few special etchings and plastic coach sides and roofs produced for members.  However, the membership, quite reasonably, concentrates on the historical aspect of the line, and sales dwindled to the point where they were selling ABS kits off at ridiculous prices, but there's a limit to the number of gunpowder wagons one needs! if no-one is buying, then it isn't worth the Sales Team wasting their effort. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, they should have invested in ABS and D&S kits, and they'd be laughing all the way to the bank, perhaps.

It's quite a brave line society that actually gets into the business of selling kits, let alone manufacturing them. What is useful to the modeller is a listing of what is or has been available. But that does depend on there being someone or a group within the society with the interest and altruism to spend time compiling such a list. This has varied from time to time and from society to society, so no disrespect to the South Western Circle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2014 at 18:04, Mikkel said:

post-738-0-00669700-1398012162_thumb.jpg

Well here's progress so far. Body built more or less as per instructions, but using replacement MJT W-irons and GWR grease axleboxes, which seem very similar to the MSWJR ones I have seen.

Didn't notice the production fault in the planks on the lefthand side - need to fix that with a bit of scribing. I left the various fittings on the solebars until further evidence comes up - but presumably I'll need to remove at least the MR build plate. I've also left the buffers so far, as I'm beginning to believe they were actually quite similar to the MSWJR type.

I think there's a photo of a couple of these wagons on the Swindon's Other Railway site. I had better not deep-link to it, but see menu item called "A tour along the line courtesy of Mike Barnsley" under "Chedworth to Foss Cross Quarry" - second last photo in that group.

On the same site, the photos of Chris Walker's O gauge Swindon Town station seem to show that he's done a 7 mm model of these wagons, perhaps using the 7mm version of the Slater's kit (see 3rd photo in group).

It seems that someone has done 7mm castings for MSWJR W irons and axleboxes, there have been various on ebay, eg these.

4mm MSWJR transfers don't seem to be generally available, but I think the HMRS sheets with Private Owner "white shaded black" letters could be used - quite expensive, but I need the lettering for some Farthing based P.O. wagons anyway. 

EDIT 1: I have now seen a drawing of the actual wagons. The axleboxes look like they require a bit of filing to fit the shape. But otherwise everything is pretty straightforward as per the MR kit. On the solebar, MR  build plates and a couple of other plates need to be removed. Buffers appear to be MR type as per the kit.

EDIT 2: Having worked on the axleboxes, I'm wondering if it actually makes much sense to use GWR ones as the basis. Their shape is not easy to tell from the drawing in the first place. It seems quite different from any other MSWJR axleboxes I have seen. Am going into think mode on this project.

Hi Mikkel,

I meant to ask you ages ago - were the transfers you used the HMRS PO ones?

Many thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Mark, yes  well spotted, they are the “white shaded black” letters from one of the HMRS P.O. sheets. 

There's a blog post on the build here:

Thank you, Mikkel, as always! I've still got a Slater's Midland 3-plank kit just crying out for this treatment!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 2