I have been working on motorising the Kibri Road Rail Excavator and have provided detail of the progress to date.

post-19340-0-44860600-1397382692_thumb.jpg

This is a very good and fairly easy to build although you need to study the images on the instructions carefully, one are to be aware of if you are building one of this kit is that where the moving parts clip together it is very difficult to then get them apart again without breaking the plastic moulding. It is possible to repair the joints again it just needs a bit of patience.

The inspiration came after seeing a motorised kit at Warley and on the motorisation from here.

http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php/topic,26768.0.html

To motorise the model I used a Tenshodo Motor Bogie with a 31mm wheelbase and 11.5mm diameter solid wheels.

The Tenshodo motor bogie made the conversion much easier as it required no modification to the bogie and less modification of the kit itself

The outside set of the rubber tyre wheels from the model are glued to the outside of the rail wheels, unfortunately they wheels in the kit are slightly larger than the 11.5mm diameter of eth rail wheels and need to be reduced in diameter.

post-19340-0-87476100-1397382698_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-89224200-1397382705_thumb.jpg

Bogie with Excavator body adjacent showing the hole drilled through the centre of the body to allow it to be screwed onto the bogie.

post-19340-0-83073500-1397382711_thumb.jpg

Chassis from kit and bogie compared for height

post-19340-0-17039500-1397382716_thumb.jpg

Chassis being disassembled prior to gluing onto the bogie

post-19340-0-27388100-1397382724_thumb.jpg

Outer wheels being modified for fitting to bogie, they need the centre drilling out first I used the inner wheel as a guide, then they need filing flat on the back. After reducing the diameter they are stuck onto rail wheel on the bogie using UHU glue

post-19340-0-00497200-1397382730_thumb.jpg

Components glued onto the bogie, it was necessary to first superglue some flat and angled plasticard onto the bogie to allow the pieces from the plastic chassis to be glued onto these as there was insufficient contact area to glue the parts directly to the bogie.

post-19340-0-17857100-1397382740_thumb.jpg

Body mounted onto the chassis

post-19340-0-92851700-1397382747_thumb.jpg

Guide wheels from kit ready for fitting they are then set to be just above the rail level, it doesn’t notice when on the track but is required to avoid derailing over points and on corners

• 2 months later...

Have finished the excavator, photo below on my layout needs a bit of weathering.

It is fully passable including lowering the stabilising jacks but in reality it requires care as the parts are quite delicate so will leave as it is and run it occasionally from something different.

Quite surprisingly the decals supplied with the kit are not transfers but are stickers on clear background, probably need a coat of clear lacquer to seal in place.

Working on a couple of trailers which it can also pull.

post-19340-0-83934000-1404374763_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Have now added a Permaquip Personnel Carrier to my collection.

Having seen one of these at an exhibition I decided to and make one myself, from scratch this time.

I used the dimensions from this publication.

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book400Issue.pdf

I first drew the elevations and plans out and decided I would use vinyl overlays which would contain all of the details.

The vinyl overlays were printed on a laser printer using Avery labels L4775 sheets which are HD external grade, once printed the image is weather and waterproof and resistant to UV.

For the a motor unit I  Purchased Bachmann HO maintenance vehicle/personnel carrier which was purchased from Ebay,  This is described as a self-propelled speeder and is sold under the Spectrum name. Unfortunately I have subsequently discovered my local model shop has one in stock, I would have given him my business had I known.

The trailers which come with the speeder are rather small and have various item moulded onto the top. I will use the wheels and remake the trailers more to a UK style and size.

post-19340-0-10677600-1414769243_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at construction used only clear plastic sheet (Eileen’s Emporium PETG Kleersheet) this was not to easy to join and I decided would not give me a good enough base to apply the stickers to.

I started again using plain plastic card and first built the square bottom section which has vertical sides so it was easy make solid. Once I had the base I added the clear windows and a plastic roof.

Photo of early construction with the motorised chassis next to it.

post-19340-0-33428700-1414769248_thumb.jpg

With the body placed over the chassis and the vinyl overlays below.

post-19340-0-20781800-1414769253_thumb.jpg

Rear overlay applied and bottom chamfered skirt detail added.

post-19340-0-31871200-1414769258_thumb.jpg

Photos on track still have a small few details to add. Have used the windscreen wipers from the Speeder.

The error I did make during the build was in not creating all the interior detail before fitting the glazed top section which resulted in having to fit the internal detail from below. A bit fiddly but I think it has turned out ok. Will know better next time.

post-19340-0-01975500-1414769266_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-44503400-1414769272_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm fancying a crack at that Permaquip personnel carrier, I've no idea how to get/do the artwork for the vinyls though!

I used Amsies overlays when they were available a few years back, which were colour printed vinyls, my mate runs a sign writing business and he said he could easily be able to scan and copy them, but I didn't want duplicates,

I took an electrical vernier scale I bought on eBay for a tenner and measured up a doner coach for a Railtrack test coach conversion,

Then with the printer mapped out the vinyl overlay which they also cut out the window appetures.... Works a treat.

The coach sides need to be perfectly flat and sanded down and then a gloss coat applied then the vinyl.

I sold the coach later but the principle is the same,

Another friend who is a school tech assistant has access to a vinyl printer and cutter at his school, and he said he can do the same for me......

I suggest you approach a local sign writer or school and take if from there.....

Paul. Is sunny South Wales.

I'm fancying a crack at that Permaquip personnel carrier, I've no idea how to get/do the artwork for the vinyls though!

If you can PM me an email address I can send you the PDF file and details of the vying paper all you need is access to an A4 laser printer

Gary, I just noticed you did the Permaquip. Well done.

I scratched mine in plastic on a Tenshodo bogie. I think I measured the real thing, but I was working for BR at the time.

post-1373-0-52022600-1420924812_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

(the RRV in the banner below was made similarly to your's by Barrie Swann)

Gary, I just noticed you did the Permaquip. Well done.

I scratched mine in plastic on a Tenshodo bogie. I think I measured the real thing, but I was working for BR at the time.

attachicon.gifPerm & trailer.JPG

Cheers.

(the RRV in the banner below was made similarly to your's by Barrie Swann)

I made the permaquip after seeing what I believe was your model at the DEMU at Burton.

On the same layout I also had  a look at the excavator which I noted used hidden running wheels at difference centres to the kit wheels, this would have solved the issues I had with the diameter of the tyres from the kit mounted on the outside of the rail wheels 

Archived