O gauge Lima 33

wsrbloke

Hi guys, I hope someone will be able to answer some questions I have regarding radio control in my Lima 33. I've been considering the Acoms Techniplus 2 channel system with a speed controller. Do you think this is a reasonable choice? The loco has the standard motor but I plan to run it on up to 7.2 volts? It runs quite well on 6v but I've noticed most speed controllers I've seen will handle up to 7.2v. Would the powerpack be used to power the receiver and drive motor or do I need two power sources or what alternatives are available? I've also noticed the battery pack for the receiver has 4 cells which I believe is 6v so would 7.2v over power it? If any of you have different or proven ideas or setups I would be very grateful for you input.

Thank you

Ron

Hi Ron,

I model mainly in 009 so my locos arw quite a bit smaller than your locos. I use DelTang electronics ( http://www.deltang.co.uk/index.htm ) which I started with because it is very small, but which is very capable and would also drive your locos I think if you use something like the RX 65 or RX 62 with a two cell (7.4v) LiPo. The Lipo would drive the receiver and the motor, the receiver and motor drive circuit are integrated on the same board.

The transmitters are also very small and comfortingly familiar, they look like model train controllers not model aircraft ones.

I have been very impressed with the DelTang gear, it works very well and is not expensive. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Frank

Hi Frank,

thanks for your reply. I've looked at DelTang as I have n gauge too but didn't know it would do 7mm as well. The main problem I would have is the use of Lipo batteries as so many have exploded on the charger and some in use in aircraft. Could other cells be used considering the available space? If so it would be worth considering!

Do you know how many amps the motor needs? If it is one of the original 33's apparently it uses some form of pancake motor, whatever that is?

The Deltang Rx62 does 1.5A and the Rx65 goes up to 3A. Then how much room is there for the batteries? not a problem at 'O' I suppose.

As robin2 says, battery problems only occur because our airplane colleagues overstress them in their quest for maximum performance. Railways are very gentle use in comparison and everything is OK if you just follow the rules.

Hi Ron,

As the others have said, lipo batteries in locos are much less stressed than in aircraft.

However, the DelTang receivers are not fussy where the volts come from and I think would be OK with say nicads or ordinary lithium rechargeables but might need the battery monitoring function disabled. I suggest a query to David T who may be monitoring this forum or otherwise you could email him, the email is I think dt@flyelectric.org.uk

Frank

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I've noticed on a speed controller there are 2 wires to a on/off switch, 3 wires to a plug for the receiver and 4 heavier red and black wires which I assume are for the motor. As the receiver is 6v, can a 12v supply be connected to the 2 power in wires for the motor. I wondered as I've seen a ESC with power rating of up to16v and assumed the 6v supply wouldn't be enough to power it! Am I right in thinking there are two circuits in the ESC or not?

Ron

Yes, the motor power supply and the connections to the receiver can use separate voltages. The ground for both supplies will be connected internally.

You will need to check with the specifications for your own ESC to know what voltage it can accept.

And I presume you can identify the motor connections and the battery connections.

...R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've bought a Etronix Pulse X6 Tx and Rx with their Probe plus ESC. When connected up I can get my Class33 to move forward but can't get reverse. I tried one suggestion from the net which worked for one go but then reverted to just forward. The manual(?) doesn't cover this, only settings for planes and choppers! It obviously will work but how do I get it to keep the settings? If anyone knows how to do it please let me know how!

Ron

Archived