'00' Gauge JUA Iron Ore Tipplers & Cantrail Line Questions...

Hi all,

I have recently purchased 8 Lima PTA Iron Ore tippler wagons and intend to make these into JUA wagons

A few questions...

1. Are there transfers available to renumber the wagons (Data panels etc.), because I know a kit has been previously produced, so did transfers come with the kit?

2. What Bogies are used? They look like the same as used on the FNA nuclear wagon (Y25?), so are these (or the right type) available as spares or a kit?

3. What colour paint is used? it is a metallic dull/dark silver I think?

Another question I have is not at all connected to these wagons...

Are all cantrail orange stripes at the same height? Or are they just the same place on each loco (Roof/body transition)

Thankyou for reading this, any thoughts or information is very useful to me :)

Jack. 

post-21664-0-07078200-1397509770_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-13834700-1397509846_thumb.jpg

The Lima model is closest to the BREL built batch, that works Immingham-Scunthorpe circuit. These have FTB6 bogies (available from Cambrian).

There are not really like any of the other Iron Ore/Stone fleets, which have a different body and Axle Motion bogies, I know of Appleby transfers for this type for the pale blue British Steel livery.

Jon

Many thanks for that Jon, I can't find Appleby Models anywhere but I'll keep looking.

I'll order the bogies if my local model shop don't have them (they stock Cambrian, so they should, or be able to order them for me :) )

Jack.

Thanks Paul, I have quite a few photos, but some on there could prove very useful.

Having looked loads I think I'll have to make the transfers or order them to be made specially, cannot find them anywhere!

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I have recently purchased 8 Lima PTA Iron Ore tippler wagons and intend to make these into JUA wagons

A few questions...

1. Are there transfers available to renumber the wagons (Data panels etc.), because I know a kit has been previously produced, so did transfers come with the kit?

3. What colour paint is used? it is a metallic dull/dark silver I think?

Hi Jack

On the paint I would go for rust! They were originally black on the body IIRC (with orange for the rotary coupling end) but they are heavily weathered now as shown in your pics.

John Talbot (of Appleby) is demoing at DEMU's Showcase on 31 May/1 June - if you can't make it then I'll try to ask him (though please remind me nearer to the time as I've got a lot to sort out for the show!).

Cheers, Mike

Cheers, Mike

These photos might help with the weathering, though you'll still have to guess what the main body colour was:-

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/J-/JUA-Iron-Ore-tippler-inner/

Note how low the load is in the wagon- that's about 70t of ore!

I remember seeing a shot of pre-tippler ore-loading at Immingham- the wagons were a mixture of whatever was available, and the 13t opens looked as though someone hadn't made a very good job of cleaning the wagon...

They're brilliant Grimley, I take it they're the kit built ones though...

What transfers did you use? Are they the Appleby ones, or have you made them yourself?

Thanks anyway,

Jack.

Hi Jack, thanks I am very pleased with them. I have to confess that I am a big fan of the Immingham to Scunthorpe Iron ores, especially with a 60 on the front!

Yes they were kits, I cannot remember the name of the company that produced them. The Gentleman used to be a member on here. I was very lucky and managed to purchase the kits just before he finished producing them. They are lovely wagons, the kits were superb and make a really nice model of the real thing.

I did the transfers myself in Adobe Illustrator and had them printed as dry rub-down transfers.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with your project, I will be following with interest.

Hi Jack, thanks I am very pleased with them. I have to confess that I am a big fan of the Immingham to Scunthorpe Iron ores, especially with a 60 on the front!

Yes they were kits, I cannot remember the name of the company that produced them. The Gentleman used to be a member on here. I was very lucky and managed to purchase the kits just before he finished producing them. They are lovely wagons, the kits were superb and make a really nice model of the real thing.

I did the transfers myself in Adobe Illustrator and had them printed as dry rub-down transfers.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with your project, I will be following with interest.

Was it Andersley? I recollect someone of this name making a resin/cast kit of one of the sliding-roof coil carriers that used surplus ore-tippler chassis. I'm sure someone took over his range, after he went back to modelling North American railways.

I just found this:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/6661757691/ with a note from Alan Curtis, the man responsible for Andersley. From his comment about the person who took over the rights, I wonder if it was S-Kits?

Hi Brian, you are indeed correct it was Andersley kits by Alan Curtis. I really fancied a few of the JSA hooded steel carriers, they too were an excellent kit.

My understanding was that S-Kits had the moulds and equipment to produce the kits. Hopefully at some point in the future they will all become available.

Archived