Rebuilding a layout - signalling

Dear all

I am in the process of updating my 'trainset' layout from my childhood into something a bit more realistic. I've attached a few photos below to show you what stage I am at.

One of the things I'm keen to get right is the signalling. I've browsed this section of RMweb and looked at some of the links to external websites explaining signalling, but, as a bear of very little brain, I've found it rather difficult to get my head round it all. Still, I've had my own attempt as best I can, which is attached below. I know I have made a lot of mistakes as I'm a real novice at this, but if any kind soul would be good enough to let me know where I'm going wrong, I would be extremely grateful.

A couple of quick points - it's a single track bi-directional branch line, and on the left, at a later date branching off from the curve on the left side of the diagram there will be a branch link to the other, larger, part of the loft! I realise I've had to make a few compromises including having the 3 way point almost certainly too close to the tunnel, but it's got quite a lot of variety for playing with, which is the main aim.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0599.jpg

DSCF0602.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

EDIT - to remove a typo and include a bit more info

post-4183-12646117298751_thumb.jpg

The signalling on the right hand end of the plan looks OK.

Coming from the tunnel on the left the signal you've drawn by the bridge should be between the tunnel and the brewery siding points.

In the brewery siding there should be either a single disc reading to either platform or two discs, one for each platform; these were usually mounted one on top of the other, the top one applying to the left hand platform (from the siding). The Southern Railway tended to use one disc only in this sort of situation though.

There should be a trap point in the brewery siding protecting the main line.

The signal reading from the top platform to the left hand tunnel should also have a signal reading to the brewery siding like the one on the bottom platform.

You could, if you have the space, put advanced starting signals by the tunnel mouths for departing trains.

The signals should be positioned so that a train standing at them will not be hit by a passing train on the other line;

The signalling on the right hand end of the plan looks OK.

Coming from the tunnel on the left the signal you've drawn by the bridge should be between the tunnel and the brewery siding points.

In the brewery siding there should be either a single disc reading to either platform or two discs, one for each platform; these were usually mounted one on top of the other, the top one applying to the left hand platform (from the siding). The Southern Railway tended to use one disc only in this sort of situation though.

There should be a trap point in the brewery siding protecting the main line.

The signal reading from the top platform to the left hand tunnel should also have a signal reading to the brewery siding like the one on the bottom platform.

You could, if you have the space, put advanced starting signals by the tunnel mouths for departing trains.

The signals should be positioned so that a train standing at them will not be hit by a passing train on the other line;

Flyingsignalman, thank you so much for your kind reply. That explanation makes a lot of sense, and I think I understand what I've done wrong. I've added an amended diagram below for my own records as much as anything else.

That's what I love about this website - fast responses that answer questions I don't know. Much appreciated!

Archived