Landquart RhB loco shed in the 90s

Re6/6

Great pictures, John.

I first visited Landquart on a package tour in 1970.  Through train from Boulogne via Reims, Nancy to Basle (change), thence via Zürich, changing at Landquart from SBB onto the Rhaetian to Davos-Platz.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, this was the holiday (and the RhB itself) that rekindled an interest in railways that I've never shaken off.

Subsequently I've made a couple of return visits, being granted access to the roundhouse by dint of asking permission at the office. 

It's the cleanliness that is so impressive - a working railway depot, but every surface clean enough to eat from (if you were so inclined).  Everything beautifully maintained. 

Apart from being a running shed, Landquart also serves as the base for most of the RhB historic locomotives.

Here's a couple of "old crocs" from my 2003 visit - a favourite class of mine.

post-10122-0-59235000-1397941767_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-74221900-1397941770_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Loco 701 is almost certainly older then you, her first day in the job was 9 May 1958. 

I wish.....!  Oh to be 60 again!

Thanks for the correction Vincent. I was probably too lazy to put the dates on the back of the pictures!

I guess that they were taken in the mid 1990s.

I have a load more from that trip and I will scan the interesting ones soon.

All the best. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing John. It was reported at the time that the remains of 412, chassis and bodywork, were scrapped once it had been stripped of spares to keep the other two going. When you see the capability of Landquart to rebuild metalwork you can see why they considered the body panels as non essential spares. The rebuild of one end of the 4/4 II crushed in a landslide was virtually a new half of the bodyshell!

• RMweb Gold

412 was broken up in 2008 according to the list on Wikipedia. Still 6 around though, half of which still on the RhB with 407 in the new museum at Bergün and 414 & 415 in use.

415 on engineers train back in 2008

post-6968-0-70254800-1397998979.jpg

Archived