A start, I hope. Lyminge, in 4mm (P4) circa 1900 - 1914

Having finally made up my mind regarding scale/gauge, I hope to get started on my shelf diorama/layout project.

The plan, at this point, is to have 2 shelves. The primary one will have the village scene. The 2nd, narrower, will have the track and station scene. They will be built to the narrower one can be attached to the larger one, when needed.

I have pre-ordered a Bachmann C Class, and will order the P4 conversion Easichas from Brassmasters in the near future. I'll order some of the Stadden figures, as well as the SER station kit from ABM Railcraft.

Also want to order some track components, to get started with that aspect

With regards to that, I need advice on appropriate type components, if anyone knows. If not, I'll ask on the Scalefour forum, after I get my membership in.

I haven't drawn out a track plan, as I have always been hopeless with that aspect of the model rail hobby, even with trying to use programs for it. I'll try and search out some templates, to try out all the spacing.

As the railway aspect of this project is small, I believe it will be do-able with my limited time, and resources, but I am looking forward to trying my hand at wagon building/converting, and possibly loco kit building in the future.

Fingers crossed :)

Jim F

I  shall be interested to see this; as I type, I'm looking out on the route of the old line, as it left Lyminge for Elham. The old station building is still in situ, and has served as the village library for many years. The stationmaster's house is still in use as a private dwelling, though it has been much modified in recent times.

Cambrian do some kits of wagons , both of SE&CR-built wagons, and of SR wagons derived from their designs. The one thing lacking would seem to be suitable livestock wagons; the various livestock markets would have brought in substantial numbers of such wagons. The other heavy traffic in your period would have been building materials, as this is the period when most of the village was built. 

Brian, thanks for the reminding me of the Cambrian kits, hadn't looked at them yet. Their site says they no longer sell direct, to Canada or the US, buy hopefully one of the stockists listed will do so. Thanks also, for the general info regarding livestock and building materials, it helps with wagon selection.

Jack, progress will be slow, at least initially, until I acquire some of the kits and components to really get started.

Jim F

Brian, do you know if the local historical society has a extensive photo archive? I will be contacting them, after the weekend, but thought you might know. Found I can get street level view with Google Earth, and found some other bits, so research is coming along.

The Cambrian kits seem to be of wagons built at the end, or a bit later, than the period I am considering. May have to keep looking, but I'll wait till I find more reference materials.

Thanks again.

Jim F

Brian, do you know if the local historical society has a extensive photo archive? I will be contacting them, after the weekend, but thought you might know. Found I can get street level view with Google Earth, and found some other bits, so research is coming along.

The Cambrian kits seem to be of wagons built at the end, or a bit later, than the period I am considering. May have to keep looking, but I'll wait till I find more reference materials.

Thanks again.

Jim F

Not sure, but I could nip across the road to ask him.. There is a four-volume history of Lyminge which might have some photos in it; for my sins, I haven't yet bought a copy.

You might find it of use contacting the people from 'Roxey Mouldings' ( www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/ ), as one of them has done some research on Lyminge. Other potential sources of information might be the Brian Hart books on both Folkestone's railways and the Elham Valley line and also contacting these people:-

enquiries@elhamvalleylinetrust.org

Thanks Brian. I'll get a email to Roxey Mouldings tomorrow, just to see if they have any info.

I did a quick search for the Brian hart book on the Elham Valley line, found a few copies, a bit pricey, but didn't do a serious one, yet.

Any and all tips and suggestions more than welcome.

Jim F

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I have only just caught up with your thread, sorry.

There is a fair degree of advice on both RMweb and the Scalefour society Forum to people taking their first steps in P4.  There are many ways to skin the cat, so the advice can at times seem a little contradictory but the best bit advice anyone can give is to take the plunge and get a few things going before seeking to get too adventurous.  

Purchase one or two Exactoscale turnout kits and their gauges, a back to back gauge and also a wagon kit or two.  Get these up and running and then you will convince yourself it is possible.  Then take the next few steps.  I have not done an Easichas myself but they do look a fairly sensible place to have a start at locos.  however, don't be shy of having a test loco that is out of your prototype - just having the spur of something that moves over your own work is a big motivation push!

Good luck!

Thanks Tatty. Any and all advise is welcome. I did consider a less expensive loco kit, for my 1st attempt, but I would rather put my limited funds into what I can actually use. Having read through Iain Rice's books on loco kit building, George Dent's books on the subject, and watching the DVD's I have on it, I am fairly confident that my skill levels are up to the task.

I have also built HOn30 turnouts (points) in the past, so I am pretty sure I will have no problems with the track aspect. It's just the slow process of acquiring all the items, via overseas post.

And Brian, if you are still out there, my comment on the period for the Cambrian kits was wrong. Not only am I planning this project on 4mm, set in the late 20's to mid 30's, I am also wanting to do a small diorama in 7mm, set at about 1900. I was just a bit confused when I commented on the kits :)

Thanks Tatty. Any and all advise is welcome. I did consider a less expensive loco kit, for my 1st attempt, but I would rather put my limited funds into what I can actually use. Having read through Iain Rice's books on loco kit building, George Dent's books on the subject, and watching the DVD's I have on it, I am fairly confident that my skill levels are up to the task.

I have also built HOn30 turnouts (points) in the past, so I am pretty sure I will have no problems with the track aspect. It's just the slow process of acquiring all the items, via overseas post.

And Brian, if you are still out there, my comment on the period for the Cambrian kits was wrong. Not only am I planning this project on 4mm, set in the late 20's to mid 30's, I am also wanting to do a small diorama in 7mm, set at about 1900. I was just a bit confused when I commented on the kits :)

I'm still here! The local pub (The Coach and Horses) has quite a few old prints of the village, though the only one of the railway is the traditional one of the station. I'll keep an eye open for anything else. If it's of use, pre-war, most of the roads seem to have been of compacted stone, rather than Tarmac.

Many thanks to all who have replied, but my wife and I (more me) are now starting to feel this may be a exercise in futility. We started out thinking of doing our project in O, to be able to utilize some of the 1:48 doll houses we had found online. We found that 2 of those kits, which we really wanted to include, have been retired, and we had no luck searching for them from other sources. Also, the fact that one really needed to decorate the rooms, prior to assembling the structure, put my wife off a bit. The kit maker that I found, who produces excellent kits for SER locos and rolling stock, is a small one man business. So he doesn't accept credit cards, or paypal. So to make a purchase, I would have to paypal a acquaintance in London, who would then mail a check, or, I could use Western Union. I have not been able to get in touch with my London friend, so would probably have to go the WU route. This is not to criticize the kit maker, he has been very helpful with info, and very responsive. It is just to illustrate one of the issues I have run into regarding trying to do this over here in the US.

So, then we decided, well, we'll do the layout in 4mm, and will do a street scene in one of the larger doll house scales. So I have been looking at the 4mm list from the SECR website, to find out what is available, and from whom. Sevearl items are listed from Branchlines, yet they seem to now be gone. No website, only a blog, with no product info. Cambrian Models also makes suitable items. However, they now no longer ship direct to the US, citing their insurance company's rules as a excuse. Buying from a stockist is required. Checking said stockists, I find most don't do mail order, or do not have the items in stock. More speed bumps :)

Add these few additional issues to the others I have already found, like having to order different components from different suppliers (track, wheels, etc..), and I think I am just looking at a high frustration level.

Since I do have a strong interest in doing something in UK outline, I think it will be to just go with standard OO. There is a source over here for Peco code 75 track and points, the forthcoming SECR C Class will give me at least one loco, and I know I can get SE Finecast kits for others, complete with all I need from them.

I know, this may sound like whining, and I apologize if it does, but it isn't meant to be. I do wish moving to the UK were a option. :)

Branchlines is very much still in business - I bought an LCDR coach kit off him at the Epsom & Ewell show last month.  He, apparently, is trying to create a website, although he has been promising it for a couple of years now, yet still included the completely pointless blog spot in his adverts.  It is probably best to contact him via the email address and get an electronic copy of his Southern kit list. I was given a copy but I cannot find it at the moment - if I do I will scan and let you have a copy. There are, from memory, several LCDR bogies, SER 4w, and various SER and SECR vans including CCT and horse boxes, not forgetting improved chassis for the Hornby Dublo R1, and a kit for the O / O1 0-6-0.. Roxey Mouldings is another good source of SECR and LCDR 4 wheelers, together with a selection of vans from various southern lines, and LCDR wagons. If you are looking at the slightly earlier era, you might find some items in the 5&9 range interesting too, although not strictly SER.

As promised I have scanned the Branchlines brochure for Southern coaches, as given to me at a recent exhibition.  I haven't got their equivalent one for locos, but they do the O / O1 0-6-0 and the LSWR Ilfracombe Goods, and etched chassis for a variety of locos, such as the R1 for the

Hornby body.

post-189-0-49109600-1400072702_thumb.jpg

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device (7) 2.pdf

Exactly the same reason I abandoned a proposed P4 layout here in the USA (though different companies were involved). The “insurance” thing is a joke perpetuated by certain insurance companies - they literally think we are all crooks over here. I don’t mean to pick on that subject - imposing on friends is a good way of losing them if the worst comes to the worst - and you have pay for shipment to them and then shipment to you with all the possible problems that could cause.

Sometimes life is just too short...

Have you considered a P48 layout based on a 1920’s US prototype? That should keep you and your Wife busy!

I sympathize -  but I  eventually moved on too.

Best, Pete.

PS Apologies for the edits but I had to take two important phone calls.

Nick, thank you for the Branchlines info, much appreciated. I'll go through it and add items to my shopping list.

Pete, not being a die hard rail fan, I sort of burnt out on US outline after 30+years, with several of those working in the retail side of the hobby. It's the UK aspect that has rekindled my interest, so I'll plug on. I am looking forward to building wagon and rolling stock kits, and tackling a loco kit. But I will most likely, now, just work in OO, to keep some of the aggravation to a minimum.

I heard from the friend in London, and since we have done this before, for books and a couple of non railway items, it shouldn't have issues arise.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Cambrian Models also makes suitable items. However, they now no longer ship direct to the US, citing their insurance company's rules as a excuse. Buying from a stockist is required. Checking said stockists, I find most don't do mail order, or do not have the items in stock. 

Hello Jim, for Cambrian and other kits can I recommend H&A Models, who are reliable and have most of the range in stock. You can even set the currency to USD. I have no connection to them at all.

http://www.hamodels.net/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=3&page=all

As you say, Cambrian have a  tendency to issue pre-grouping wagons that are a bit late for your (and my) period, probably because they want vehicles that lasted into more recent times. But with such a convenient handful of SECR kits from them, it might even be worth moving/extending your period a bit?

I hope you'll stick with the pre-grouping period, though - so much of interest and great fun.

PS: The SECR 5-plank is sold out at H&A, but I see there are several on ebay, including from sellers who are smart enough to make their items available worldwide.

Hi Mikkel. Thanks for the info. As I now have contact with my 'shipping agent' in London again, I will most likely order direct from Cambrian, and have items sent to her. Being able to order kits form one mfr., and any needed extra bits, from others, and have them all arrive in the same package, is a plus, at least to me. The kit makers whom I have contacted, for advise on what else would be needed to complete a kit, have for the most part been quite helpful with replies.

Yes, the pre-grouping period is my main interest. One reason I seriously considered O gauge was that just about all I would need for locos and rolling stock for the SER was available from one mfr. Wish there was such for 4mm OO :)

I'll focus on the 1900 - 1914 period, as my understanding is most SECR locos were painted grey during the war, and I want the colorful paint schemes. If I have a few items that really came after that period, know one with knowledge of that won't ever see the layout, except for photos, and I'll make sure they don't show, in them :)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I think we have success! :)

When we purchased this home, we had a 12' x 24' shed erected, with electricity and HVAC installed. Primarily for my hobby space, with one corner allocated to my wife. However, as modelling took a hiatus at about that time, I didn't do much with the space, other than installing insulation, wall boards and ceilings. In the years since, it has slowly filled with misc. junk, to put it mildly. Emptying it was on our current to do list, but not too high up. Negotiations have now moved it close to the top, have already started, making some small headway.

So my whole Lyminge project may just revert back to O, as I have not started acquiring any OO items. Fingers crossed.

Jim

Jim,

If you decide to go 7mm, then Laurie Griffin has kits for the 'H' and 'C' classes, which appear to be the Elham Valley passenger and freight locos respectively. Blacksmith do kits for the Trio A sets, although there could be availability problems. If you set your model from 1929 onwards then you can use the Parkside Dundas 'Pillbox', as well as PD and Slaters kits.

Now a suggestion, if you are planning a holiday in Great Britain, time it for Guildex in early September. Stay in Shrewsbury, leave SWMBO there for the day, and catch the train to Telford. You will need the credit card and to know how much luggage space is available.

Bill

Bill, with the space issue settled, yes, I will pursue this in 7mm, as my wife and I had initially planned.

I had looked at the LG site, once, and thought it was just parts, gears and the like, after clicking the Product button. I thought the PDF button would just give me a catalog of such. Never saw any loco kits. Just took another look, and realized the PDF was for the kit catalog. Must not have had enough coffee, yet, that last time. :) Some very nice, interesting kits, perhaps for the future.

However, Dan Garrett at SERKits ( http://serkits.com/ ) can supply pretty much all I will need, initially. The only additional items I would need for his kits are wheels, and I have emailed him, asking if he can acquire same, and include them with the kit, adding the cost on. Buying pretty much everything from a single source will make things much easier.

I do like the 30's period, as well, but my preference is that earlier 1900's period.

Regarding a foray to the UK, the wife and I have discussed it, and it is a possibility, but most likely won't be until either later this year, or this time, next year. We have a good friend in London, and will want to co-ordinate it with her. My UK modelling interest is pretty focused, so not getting to Guildex would not be a big disappointment. Much as I do really enjoy seeing people's modelling work, I'd pretty much only glance at any layout not set in the pre-grouping era, and have just a bit more interest in any such layout whose setting wasn't the SE.

I do hope that doesn't sound too parochial, or even snobbish, it's just where my interests lie.

Jim F

• 1 month later...

Just a update. Health issues have arisen, for my wife, and I've put major modelling on hold. Economics also is a factor, with not being sure what expenses will have to cover.

For the present, as time permits, I have some card building structures, in OO, that I will dabble with, with regards to making them in O.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim F

Archived