Martin's modifications - tales from the dining room table, blue era locos, Lots of Mark 2s Airfix conversions

MJI

• RMweb Gold

A really useful resource for bashing Mk2s. Thanks for putting all this up. Am considering doing some Mk2Bs and Cs for WR sets. Obtaining Shawplan window frames sounds like it might be a challenge. Normally I would pick stuff up at shows. Hopefully Warley.

Thanks again for all the information.

Eamon

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

A really useful resource for bashing Mk2s. Thanks for putting all this up. Am considering doing some Mk2Bs and Cs for WR sets. Obtaining Shawplan window frames sounds like it might be a challenge. Normally I would pick stuff up at shows. Hopefully Warley.

Thanks again for all the information.

Eamon

I would very much recommend sticking to one brand per train if possible.

WR lets think, 2B TSO FK BFK, 2C BSO, FK I do know of.

You can get a better 2C from an Airfix, but late toilets will need someone to etch them as I managed to get the last batch of 6 or 8, 2 BSO (1 Lima 1 Airfix), 1 or 2 TSO, 1 FK, I am pushing Brian to produce some.

The Western Region 2C BSOs often ended up on the end of an aircon rake.

However someone on here has produced overlays to produce 2C from cheap Hornby 2Es.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again

I was thinking of going down the Airfix route. Keeping all rakes to the same manufacture is also a good idea. I was never keen on the Hornby Es or Fs although with an overlay they might be OK. Western region 2C BSOs are high on the list. I do have a good few Bachmann Mk2 (aka Mk2z) and Mk2As but obviously too short for Bs or Cs. I do not intend to make any changes apart from renumbering as approapriate.

Doing some Mk2Bs or Cs is a sure way to get a manufacturer to announce them. They have polled high in the wishlists but these are uncertain times.

I would be aiming for mid to late 80s so not too different from your time period. I have lots of 50s :) and a few 47/4s too.

I would also need to look at NE -> SW formations.

Having just checked I have:

Airfix/Dapol 2Ds

7 x FO (too many)

6 x TSO

2 x BSO

I also have a 4  Lima 2Fs somewhere but they are all FOs. What was i thinking. There was a charter rake in my time frame with mainly FOs. I cannot remember if they were D, E or F nor if they were declassified.

I will have to make a plan on what bits to get/make - roof vents, underframe components and window etches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You will need the book about Mk2 coaches.

OK scour Ebay for Airfix coaches 2xBSOs make decent 2E TSOs with some work.

2B using Airfix,

Removal of a few bits of underframe.

Shawplan frames

Work out glazing (currently have to hand cut)

Remove roof panel all new vents MJT dome OK.

Early 2C same

Middle 2C SP vents need the book to check

Late 2C see my latest BSO

Keep roof panel but need vents - I copied the Airfix but there are decent ones on

Biggest issue are 2C toilets, they are unique to 2C they are deeper than 2DEF but same width, so either bother the etchers, or work out your own etches, or try 5 thou plastic card. As to height they go from current toilet top edge down to 2ABC main window bottoms.

North East South West seems to be full of 2AC MR rakes, MR ER Mark 1 rakes commonly late Commonwealth bogied jobs.

WR 2B rakes, odd Mk1 rake.

Aircon rakes SOME 2CDEF WR rakes, a few ER 2D rakes (I remember two, one due to E1883 bar car, the other due to E5690 2D TSO)

I personally need 2 more late 2C TSO and 1 early 2C TSO as 3 carriages are Lima will continue with them.

My mainly 2B rake is half done, all Mark2 are Lima in that set.

The Lima 2F I would keep with Lima stuff rather than mix with Airfix.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I have had 2 frames pop off a 2E TSO I was using as a guide to my latest batch.

One is missing, luckily I have a spare courtesy of using TSO frame sets for FO, I will find one and paint when I do the last 2 2D TSOs for the ER set and the 2C BSO for the WR set.

Today was spent fixing frames on E5660 with diluted gloss varnish.

If all OK prime tomorrow.

Was glazing 2D TSOs today as well, one side done each.

I am currently leaving the WR set with tension locks until I get another 2 packs of Keen system close coupling cams.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today

Refit a few which did not stick on E5660

Transfers on

W3414

E5648

E5637

Carving off details for

Done more notes checking, same 20 or so coaches appear in many aircon set.

5 BFKs, a big pile of TSOsa few buffets and a few firsts

• RMweb Premium

OK I do need more more HST stock.

Do use Shawplanned Lima or stick with Hornby?

Need a TRSB as well

My other set is Hornby out of box

• RMweb Premium

2x 2D TSOs complete except for door handles and grab handles next to doors.

I am for that set swapping the Mainline couplings for Airfix off my WR set early Airfix stuff.

Cast a few more 2DEF vents for the BFK conversion.

Drilled and removed the moulded vents for the 2A BFK.

Cut down 4 more Airfix gangways.

Spare chassis had air tank removed, still need one more Airfix bogie (I have 2 somwhere) for the Hornby BFK, not because they are wrong but to make more the same.

Now trying to decide on 2F Fan route.

1 Make master and cast from it.

2 Copy Lima and cast from it.

3 Just make one and hope it is last 2F conversion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

E5648 and E5637 are now in their ER Aircon rake R.U.B. 47549 is out for glazing as I put it in there are forgot.

W3400 is also being returned to box and W3415 is currently fan less as I want to copy it for my 2F conversions so all the same.

Lima 2F fans was weak so those few will get them too.

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Natalie said:

Hi Martin

Enjoying your work.

Any chance of E5625 joining your fleet (or indeed E5962)...?

They are not in that set.

What is special about that pair?

47,549 - transfers
E5660 - paintshop
E5648 - complete
E13584 - complete
E1883 - complete
E5691 - complete
E5730 - paintshop
E5637 - complete
E81491 - complete

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been very wet recently or windy.

Big pile of bodies to spray.

However I am beta testing some new detailing parts soon, more news later.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 17:12, Natalie said:

Hi Martin

Enjoying your work.

Any chance of E5625 joining your fleet (or indeed E5962)...?

Hi 

Sorry for the delay. Time to clarify and correct the confusion caused by my inability to type numbers correctly...

E5625 was apparently fitted with BT5 bogies for a time (Harris- "early 1972") as part of the development of the Mk3 stock. 

E5962 should have been M5970 which was converted into the prototype APT catering equipment vehicle and was later renumbered as M1800 and reclassed as RSS Restaurant Self Service. This was a more involved 'four-module' conversion.

According to Harris in Mk2 Coaches there was another APT catering conversion carried out on another Mk2f TSO (it was this one that was M5962). Described by Harris as a 'galley conversion' it had 2 bays of seating replaced by a kitchen area which included an air circulation oven, a bread toaster and 2 fridges.  It began public trials during October 1974 on the 1015 King's Cross- Leeds and a return. It later joined the then still-numbered M5970 on the West Coast after March 1975. Both are reported as retaining their original numbers at this time and TSO classification but had full length red cantrail bands.

M5962 the galley car was restored to an open second during 1976 whilst M5970 was redesignated as RSS No M1800.

I have never seen pics of any of the three vehicles mentioned so modified. The only RSS ones in BR use are the pair at Glasgow Central on Eastbank MRC's site.

Also never seen are pics of the prototype Mk3 vehicles during their trial use in scheduled LH services on the East Coast (or the West Coast for that matter..)

All in all not really very relevant to your excellent modelling but updated for completeness. Looking forward to seeing more of your excellent work.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Today sprayed blue

2 x 2D TSO

1 x 2D BFK

1 x 2C BSO

1 x 2A BFK

Also got some test glazing on order, when fitted wll show pictures.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Very nice. Is this one converted from an Airfix 2D?

This is a triang Hornby

BFK.

One above is airfix based.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The 2C BSO is the last vehicle of my first WR aircon set, the 2 x 2D TSOs are the last two of my ER NESW set, the 47 will be Laserglazed very soon. Hopefully FIRST commercial customer.

The 2D BFK and 2A BFK are the first to complete in my second WR aircon set, the one I have had to swap a coach ID with its usual partner.

This does mean that I could mix and match both WR sets to prduce a 3rd

• Like 1

On 27/07/2020 at 17:25, Natalie said:

Hi 

Sorry for the delay. Time to clarify and correct the confusion caused by my inability to type numbers correctly...

E5625 was apparently fitted with BT5 bogies for a time (Harris- "early 1972") as part of the development of the Mk3 stock. 

E5962 should have been M5970 which was converted into the prototype APT catering equipment vehicle and was later renumbered as M1800 and reclassed as RSS Restaurant Self Service. This was a more involved 'four-module' conversion.

According to Harris in Mk2 Coaches there was another APT catering conversion carried out on another Mk2f TSO (it was this one that was M5962). Described by Harris as a 'galley conversion' it had 2 bays of seating replaced by a kitchen area which included an air circulation oven, a bread toaster and 2 fridges.  It began public trials during October 1974 on the 1015 King's Cross- Leeds and a return. It later joined the then still-numbered M5970 on the West Coast after March 1975. Both are reported as retaining their original numbers at this time and TSO classification but had full length red cantrail bands.

M5962 the galley car was restored to an open second during 1976 whilst M5970 was redesignated as RSS No M1800.

I have never seen pics of any of the three vehicles mentioned so modified. The only RSS ones in BR use are the pair at Glasgow Central on Eastbank MRC's site.

Also never seen are pics of the prototype Mk3 vehicles during their trial use in scheduled LH services on the East Coast (or the West Coast for that matter..)

All in all not really very relevant to your excellent modelling but updated for completeness. Looking forward to seeing more of your excellent work.

RSS M1800 was later purchased by NIR, re-gauged to 5ft 3in and renumbered to 546.