Martin's modifications - tales from the dining room table, blue era locos, Lots of Mark 2s Airfix conversions

MJI

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Will be primer time for the 2D TSOT 2F FO 2E TSO this weekend, and I am building up a stock of Triang BSKs to deal with

Will be producing early BSK on BR1 or B4, early SK and TSO on same, and of course another BG or 2

One BG will go with the MR 2ABC set with the air braked RMB so both Mark 1 will be same base.

So far all CKs have donated their roofs to the 119 DMU.

I will be having at least 4 Mark 1 sets

1 short set for ETH 31

1 choc cream set for 75069

1 long NESW or NWSW set behind a Peak

1 WR set undecided

1 set will be detailed Lima, 1 Bachmann with the odd purchase to make full length.

I think I can mix Lima and Triang with rebogies and flush glazing

BNogies and galzing from here

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/accessories

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found I am short of only 2 Bachmann Mark 1s for 1 whole set

Will be bashing Triangs with Replica and MJT bits to produce the GWR150 shuttle set, just need the formation order

• RMweb Premium

Well Triang bashing.

If I worked a Saturday, I would earn enough for a handfull of Bachmanns, enough to make a difference.

They only need renumbering, swapping to correct bogies, swapping to correct brake gear, tome down roof.

On a Saturday I reckon I could process 4 Triang sides, cutting, smoothing, joining. Bogies and underframe same as Bachmann.

So cost wise little in it, but I have the challenge of making them.

Going for BSK and 2 TSO for now from Triang, and I need a B&G SK and RMB to complete the Bachmann set as well as a pair of Bachmann BR1s

Decided to give up side detailing the Limas, they will grow Comet sides I think when I get round to it.

After this I will still need 1 or 2 Mark 1 sets and another WR aircon set. I think 1 HST is enough, oh and a Swindon 120 and Met Camm 101 to complete the DMUs

• RMweb Premium

I am thinking that too

Mods required for my Bachmann rake.

8 have the wrong brakes on them they Bachmann model the earlier underframe with cylinders inboard of the V hangers, my set is 1 inboard 8 outboard

BG B4 to BR1

FK Commonwealth to B4

CK Commonwealth to BR1

So do I use Replica or Bachmann BR1s?

The GWR150 rake is mainly inboard but a few outboards, is bulky moulding of outboard. Time to make new V hangers, I only need to make 32

My GWR150 paint is dried up so need to order more, will get larger tinlets as I will be spraying 11 vehicles in all

I think any left over Mark ones after this will be Comet sided/Replica bogied

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Triang coaches, a Midland Region NEA to run with my 2C Rake

a W34666 GWR150 BSK

half a GWR150 TSO indentity not yet decided but 6 to do

post-14686-0-28925900-1528562944_thumb.jpg

DMU time Tyseley 116 power car and the GRCW 119 power cars

post-14686-0-69650000-1528562920_thumb.jpg

My WR Aircon set

3rd 2E TSO

post-14686-0-51966000-1528562914_thumb.jpg

2F FO W3400

post-14686-0-93566800-1528562935_thumb.jpg

2D TSOS W6615

post-14686-0-25368800-1528562929_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well that was fun, the etch primer was doing very strange things on the plastics, DMUs I used many thin coats.

But the Triang sides have gone bonkers.

Will need to wet and dry down and use a different primer.

Just ordered 2 pairs of Bachmann BR1s for the Bachmann set, now only the brakes to fix.

Almost all Commonwealth bogied stock has the vacuum cylinders outboard of the V hangers, all the Bachmanns I have are inboard. Not even sure if they did them correctly at all.

Comet have no V hangers

Replica same as Bachmann

Plastic strip time then!

The wrinkly brake gear then will be used on the GWR 150 stock so equipped (all but 1 or 2)

• RMweb Premium

My next set under construction (all Mk 2s on hiatus due to Shawplan contact hassle)

Loco is converted from Mainline

The O| thing is my way of marking the vacuum cylinder positions (imagine looking from underneath)

46 026
M35467 VD C    O| |O
M1859  VD C    O| |O STILL TO BUY
M4935  VD C    O| |O
M4974  VD C    O| |O
M4988  VD C    O| |O STILL TO BUY
W13299 VD B4   O| |O
M15663 VD BR1  |O O|
W25949 VD C    O| |O
M81626 VE BR1 unsure

Stage 1 fit correct bogies, the coach originally meant to be NEA is now a NEV, bogies on the FK.

Next job will be underframe correction, Bachmann really dropped a clanger here all those commonwealth fitted vehicles with the wrong brake gear.

RMB will be the most important purchase.

What is interesting is none of my rake decisions include a RBR yet, so far 2 RMB, 1 RU, 1 BAR, 1 TSOT.

Not sure what it will be, got 1 NWSW set (ETH Peak), 3 NESW sets (2 x ETH 47, 1 x 46), 1 GWR150 set (4MT), 1 OWW line set (50), West of England set is out of area but tempting, but I would need a big pile of Airfix and glazing to do. Still need another Lickey route train with Peak, will look at all Mark 1 or a Mark 2 set, possibly 2a, may knock up another 2B set but detailing Lima 2B is actually painfull.

So WR aircon or WR 2B, only certanty a 50 on the front. Another mark 1 set though is essential

My DMUs only now need a decent 101 to replace a Triang and a Swindon 120.

So my layout will have trains from 1979, 1981-2, Summer 1985, not too wide to be silly I hope.

Anyway two questions. Both GWR 150.

Does anyone have the rake details of the GWR 150 set while running Gloucester Swindon, I have 4 positive IDs, need the rest of the set.

Did Evening Star work it (it was late to the specials totally missed GL ZL) but I did see the loco.

Will also knock up a rail tour some time, will have 31 or 37, may even do a Deltic but chance of set details is virtually nil.

Anyway I do need to start on my freights, need a custom MSV set of transfers as mine are falling off. Need a 47 for those, a couple of 37s, another 20.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fixed the brakes on 5 Bachmanns 10 minutes per end

Photos to follow.

If you can afford it Bachamnn are best RTR based for Mark 1s

Fixed the brakes on 5 Bachmanns 10 minutes per end

Photos to follow.

If you can afford it Bachamnn are best RTR based for Mark 1s

Hi Martin, did you take any photos of how you did the brake gear? I get that it involves swapping the V hanger / brake cylinder relationship around so would be interested how you went about it. Not something I'd previously noticed prior to reading your posts above! Do you know if this was something done when the coaches were first built, or a later modification when (eg) dual braking was being fitted?

Nice work as always.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin, did you take any photos of how you did the brake gear? I get that it involves swapping the V hanger / brake cylinder relationship around so would be interested how you went about it. Not something I'd previously noticed prior to reading your posts above! Do you know if this was something done when the coaches were first built, or a later modification when (eg) dual braking was being fitted?

Nice work as always.

Martyn.

Not sure but some were like it when built.

Looks more to do with bogies, Commonwealth and B4 need the outer cylinder

Pictures not yet downloaded

• RMweb Premium

As supplied

post-14686-0-93935400-1529274961_thumb.jpg

Lever off cylinder with knife blade

post-14686-0-44562500-1529274966_thumb.jpg

Snip off ends and drill for plastic rod

post-14686-0-25255000-1529274970_thumb.jpg

Cut a little off one leg and glue to the other, I held it against an old Coopercraft moulding roughly 0.75mm

post-14686-0-47423000-1529274974_thumb.jpg

Glue on cylinder

post-14686-0-38024100-1529274981_thumb.jpg

Forget to photo the end result

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the photos, certainly easier on the Bachmann coaches than older 1 piece mouldings!

Not too bad, Lima and Triang are very crude, mind you Replica is not great, nor is Mainline.

However all my previous were rip the lot away and fit air brake cylinders (various buffets and BGs). But the few old Triangs I am using for GWR150 will get plastic strip and most likely Replica bits.

Not yet decided on the Limas fate, most likely etched sides.

Still trying to find more clear pictures and video of the GWR 150 set on the Swindon Gloucester footage with clear coach IDs as for some reason I lost my set notes.

I knew the BSK (2 painted, 1 travelled in). As to the TSOs all but 1 or 2 I know I have travelled in, in the ZL GL set. Got 2 end TSOs, one random middle TSO.

I do have Steam Through The Golden Valley, but the VCR which recorded it is a bit broken, (need to call Sony about it) and it was the only UK model to use that recording mode. Yes I did take my own tape and VCR to duplicate it!

As to cost about £10 per vehicle compared to Bachmann at current price of around £30.

So I have under construction 6 rakes, with 2 more planned. 2 more DMUs required, couple more 37 and 47.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sprayed rail grey on

119 DMU

E1106

2D TSOT

2E TSO

2F FO

BG for MR set

Look little different to they did, but body join on 2E TSO is visible

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

119 is in blue grey

But problem found with Triang BSKs

Window heights are slightly too high, just under 1mm

Compared to Bachmann, Replica Glazing, and Triang RMB

All getting slithers of plastic card before painting except my painted BG.

All to save money on new Bachmanns

My BG is using thin fillets of filler before transfers, not too obvious

• 1 month later...

Still missing but luckily next two are 2B FK and 2C FK, 4 spare frames.

Managed to glaze the 2C BSO, just doing the vents now.

Then find the chopped down Airfix BSO insides.

2C TSO is also glazing nicely, but every mark shows, hopefully Klear will help.

For my first 3 sets I need to buy now.

1 B4 BG as a NEA

4 sets of Shawplan EE 2-2C frames

A few detailing parts for a Mainline Peak

A few detailing part for a Hornby 47

Will be stretching set 1 to 6 vehicles.

Set 4 still not sure of consist, nor set 5, set 6 (WCML) is in collect mode

Sets 7 and 8 are in research mode

Most of these sets would have run on the Lickey route and be seen in early 1980s

The clock is counting, I have 14 years left before I retire

Challenge is to finish the first 3 this year and get 4 and 5 partly done as well.

A reminder

Set 1 ER aircon set with 47 and Bar (4 complete, 2 to do)

Set 2 MR NWSW set with a Peak, mainly 2C (1 complete, 1 90%,1 80%, 2 50%, 1 to buy)

Set 3 WR SW-BNS set with 47 "Severn" mainly 2B (1 nearly done, 2 90%, 1 80%, 1 20%, 1 to start)

Set 4 WR aircon set mix of 2D E F with RU and 50

Set 5 WR aircon set mix of 2D E F with undecided buffet and 50

4 & 5 have 2 x 2E TSO and 1 x 2d BFK so far, with another BFK to do and a pool of 1 2E TSO and another 3 2D TSOs to convert, a few FOs and a couple of BSOs all Airfix

Newly mentioned

Set 6 MR set with 87, most likely Joeff 3a with possibly Lima 2F to bulk it out

Set 7 NESW Mark 1 set for another Peak (will be easy mainly Bachman)

Set 8 Not sure but Mk 1 (mainly Lima)

Set 9 N(E or W) SW 2 / 2a set

Set 10 inter regional Mk 1 set for 31

Set 11 Newspaper & parcels train with Siphon G and BSK, and a few other bits

Freight is collecting well

Got the following, most in almost ready to go condition

Enough parcels for 2 sets, Currently 3 GUV, 1 CCT, 2 BG, 2 Siphon G, 1 ex LMS Van, around 5 ex SR vans, a few others

A) Mineral wagons (MCV MSV want MDV)

B) Cement (CPV & PCV)

C) TIpplers (MSV)

D) VDA set

E& F) General VB sets with OWV, VEV, VWV, SPV, STV ect

G) China Clay set

H) UKF Fertiliser set

To use for other sets

Mix of SPA, OBA, OCA, OAA

Worked out need at least one more 20 and at least 2 more 37s

You'll probably find it right when you no longer need it. Keep up the good work Martin these coaches are amazing!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nearly finished transfers on 119, then need to do interiors and find another underframe for the DMSL

Then bogies and motor bogie.

I have 1 Lima DMU bogie spare (due to BR1s on one DMU vehicle) so going to use brass frames and resin sides.

Sprayed blue on 2D TSOT 2E TSO from 2x BSO and 2F FO for WR set.

Tape bowed on one side FO so need a little rail grey.

This weather is terrible for painting, started sunny but halfway through the temperature plummeted.

Also been repairing Cambrian BDAs glue boiges rigid and replace buffers, will use brass wire for stanchions.

Current Shawplan shopping list is 6 x Airfix TSO frames, 7 x glazings, 1 x 2 _ABC frames, and hope he is doing the glazing.

Each aircon is setting me back roughly £20 in bits and materials. And if I need another set I will have trouble with obtaining TSOs

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following shells complete, just interior paint and reassembly, but with TSOT short one toilet window

2 x 2E TSO with swapped toilets, spent ages filing down door windows to fit, which is why they were not complete

2D TSOT

2xBSO 2E TSO is awaiting windows as if 2F FO W3400.

After that just need to convert, detail and repaint the other 2F FO, and get more frames to finish the 2C BSO

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Spent today doing C1 and electrification flashes then decided to reunite chassis and bodies and found I have lost a 2E chassis as a few boxes lopped off and single fan fitted.

AGHHHHHHH

So grabbed an open first, stripped it down and used that chassis, that FO will become a WR 2F FO.