Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout Damaged at open day!

davet, so why is he still a member of your club?

Thats what I'd like to know  The club seems to offer an open door policy to anyone who wishes to become a member or is interested in railway modelling and because o this has welcomed several teenage modellers some of whom have become good modellers one who is a bit older now submits regular posts to RM Web we also have several individuals with special needs.  Here the club seem to act as a social activity more than a place to model railways.  

• RMweb Premium

So Darren's named, also the contact details of the organiser. While its not correct for numbers of RMweb members to pressure directly, perhaps Andy Y could contact him to express the views discussed here and how poorly his organisation appears.

While there might not be any profit actually made, how does that excuse them? Would that give them the right to not pay other expenses incurred?

So Darren's named, also the contact details of the organiser. While its not correct for numbers of RMweb members to pressure directly, perhaps Andy Y could contact him to express the views discussed here and how poorly his organisation appears.

While there might not be any profit actually made, how does that excuse them? Would that give them the right to not pay other expenses incurred?

Kevin, without reaching for the little round button with the cross in it, I've got to disagree with that. Darren is more than capable of deciding on the course of action and following through with whatever decision he makes. It's his layout, he knows it better than anyone, he knows exactly what damage was caused etc etc etc...

You say it's not correct for "numbers of RMWeb members to pressure directly"... I'd say it's not correct for anyone except Darren himself to dialogue with the organizer(s) in this case. If Darren wants help, I'm sure he'll ask for it. If anyone here is thinking of contacting the organizer with an "outraged of RMWeb" type email or letter, think first. You could do more harm than good.

Just my own opinion, Pete.

87 friendly and supportive responses to the opening post plus Darren makes at least 88 of us, a pretty effective lynch mob if you ask me. :jester: However I can't help but feel Darren's best recourse is to use due legal process he has every right to claim damages.

Edit:To add joker, got a bit worried the first part of my post might not be taken in a manner I had intended.

A couple of points;

Did the the head of the restoration project organise the event and if not, does he know about the damage to the layout. I would address any correspondence to him.

"No money to pay for damage" is not the same as "we have no money"/. Looking at their aspirations as per their newsletters, they clearly have funds.

They may need reminding of some joint research by BA, SAS and Volvo some years ago that showed for each person that has a complaint against an organisation, they tell 13 others in detail who each tell a further 10, albeit in less detail. As Iainp has already pointed out, in this era of social media that is now rather pessimistic as at least 88 people are aware of Darren's complaint, so possibly a thousand will get to form a poor impression of this organisation. A bit simplistic maybe, but a good argument to put forward as to why they should take some positive action.

Having read this thread of pros and cons, surely a verbal contract was made. Possibly 2 with the asking to display and the pressurising of the 2nd day.

As mentioned before the small claims court might be best and easiest just to show that Darren wont take it lying down.

My one thought would be whether insurance WAS held but they didnt want to pay the excess on a claim, so they denied there was any insurance.

So sorry to hear this happened and its ridiculous that this has happened and the people who wjere responsible for looking after your layout should take responsibility and re-emberse you for the damage.

If that happened to my future exhibition layout I would really have a go at them for the damage and money that has been wasted.

I hope they take responsibility and pay for the damage and apologise to you!

Kind regards,

Swifty

Having read the full story so far, and given that this is a group that is trying to reopen a line, I find it somewhat difficult to believe that 1) they where unable to look after Darren's layout when the assumed responsibility for it, 2) they did not take care with it when transporting it, and 3) they have no money available to pay for repairs.

I would (as well as sending all the letter etc. already mentioned) be asking to look at a copy of their account, as I would have thought that any society or association would have to produce yearly accounts. A quick Google of the name of Darren's layout takes me to a group that are looking to reopen a station of the same name, so I guess (and stand to be corrected, but as Darren's name and his layout appears in the "Spring Gala" listing!!!) that this is people to be responsible for the show. They also have their news letters on their public web pages, and in them discuss what projects they have on, donations, and money raised (Summer 2013 sup, and Autumn 2013)!!! I personally feel that "we have no money" means we have plans for what money you have and Darren is not going to get any of it which is a shame for both parties,, and not the best press for them!

Anyhow, my rant is over, and all I can now say is that my heart goes out to Darren for the damage and cost that he received for doing what most of us would call the right thing i.e. using his layout to show people what was there, and what could be put back for tourists, locals, the local economy, the group that is organising it and finally enthusiast.

I just hope that someone decides to do the right thing.

Ian

EDIT: used a) b & c) changed to 1) 2) & 3) as b and closed bracket = b)

Having read the full story so far, and given that this is a group that is trying to reopen a line, I find it somewhat difficult to believe that a) they where unable to look after Darren's layout when the assumed responsibility for it, B) they did not take care with it when transporting it, and c) they have no money available to pay for repairs.

Companies house shows a Tarka Valley Railway Limited registered number 06542991.  Company showing as 'dormant' with a share capital of £2.  This may of course be nothing to do with the group running the exhibition (although two of the contact names on the website are showing as director appointments at Companies House) but I thought I'd mention it, with the help of my wife who deals with company law based stuff all day.

Having read this thread of pros and cons, surely a verbal contract was made. Possibly 2 with the asking to display and the pressurising of the 2nd day.

As mentioned before the small claims court might be best and easiest just to show that Darren wont take it lying down.

My one thought would be whether insurance WAS held but they didnt want to pay the excess on a claim, so they denied there was any insurance.

or (if cover was in force) most probably they decided not to notify insurers at the risk of increased premium or excess or the application of more restrictive terms at renewal especially if they took a lasse faire attitude to the damage and decided upon themselves the repairs were small fry a well within the first part of any claim theyd be liable for anyway ie, xs.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I spoke to Darren today, who doesn't live too far from me. I've seen Torrington several times and very annoyed and saddened at the same time that someone who has offered to 'look-after' someone elses property cannot seem to be bothered to take the care and attention that is necessary. Surely, as most modellers would agree, that when you 'borrow' or are left responsible for someones else property (regardless whether this is a RTR item or a hand crafted model), that you take full care of it. I have often assisted friends with their layouts at exhibtions and ALWAYS ensure that I take care in what I am doing when operating and wherever possible keep an eye on viewers in front of the layout. At times, there is a sense of relief that the owner / builder returns when the exhibition is busy - at least there is another pair of eyes.

As far as packing the layout, it appears that those packing the sections took no care and attention. Darren was not expecting someone else to pack the layout - he was going back on Monday to dismantle and load into the their van. Strikes me that they just wanted to get the layout off their hands, The first Darren knew about the layout was getting a knock at his door - with words to the effect 'your layout is here' !!!

Darren, I hadn't read this thread before speaking to you today and now having read through the thread, agree with the 'legal' comments about cataloguing and posting to the 'organisers'. Once posted (recorded delivery) it becomes a legal traceable document. I for one, will not be visiting or contributing to getting anything running at the station.

Their attitude is disgusting and very insulting to yourself. Please try and take some support from the comments on here and bring Torrington back to its glory!

Oh, as you mentioned the car to me earlier and as suggested above, please can you let us know what the car was, as someone here may be able to source one. Yes, it is an iconic part of Torrington (the real thing) where it was sat in the station approach - I've a book with the photo on the cover.

p.s. sorry that you can't get to Taunton on Sunday.

Local paper is more likely to get a result, in my experience, but I agree with the small claims approach.

They would also perhaps limit the damage for themselves by settling with you, because this is just the sort of publicity they can do without. I won't put any money in this box next time I am out there on my bike.

• RMweb Gold

I have every sympathy for Darren, but has anyone heard the organisation's side of the story?   It is possible that the only people who know about the damage are the individuals Darren has spoken to. Perhaps if the organisation knew about the damage there would be an altogether better response.

The advice has been given; Its now up to Darren to either follow it, or decide not to bother.  If he does follow it, or if responsible members of the organisation just happen to come upon this thread, then perhaps there will be a happy ending.

Best wishes Darren

Colin

Edit for typo

....tough way to learn that no one will look after your layout/stock in the way that you would yourself....hopefully this experience might just prevent even one of those reading this sorry story from falling down the same hole.

Sad to read of your misfortune Darren.

Regards

Dave

Hi all

Well I am over whelmed by the support you have all given me about the layout!, this weekend I set some of the board's up to have a look at the damage coursed.

I have started on the reaper work that needs to be done, and also have sent a letter/recorded post to the group asking for some form of recompense, will see if I get a response from them?.

I should start putting up some photo's of the work being carried out on Torrington, as I feel it has been to long since I have done anything with it.

Their are a lot of thing's that I will change on the layout, to make it even better.

Once I have done the work on the layout I will be packing it back up as I need the room for something I have always wanted to build all my life.

This new layout will push me beyond anything I have ever done before, and I can see it taking quite a few years to build it as well.

So once again thank you for all the kind word's and support you have all given me.

Yours

Darren

You really were very unlucky Darren. I just checked the vehicle crime stats, and for postcode area EX38 - which includes Torrington, there were only 20 recorded instances of vehicle theft per 10,000 registered vehicles in 2011-12. That was a ranking of 86th from the 105 postcode areas in Devon & Cornwall.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/crime/devon-and-cornwall

You really were very unlucky Darren. I just checked the vehicle crime stats, and for postcode area EX38 - which includes Torrington, there were only 20 recorded instances of vehicle theft per 10,000 registered vehicles in 2011-12. That was a ranking of 86th from the 105 postcode areas in Devon & Cornwall.

Crime stats mean nothing.....It only takes one, or two, brain dead f**k-wits to spoil anybuddy's day !

Commiserations to you, Darren, and good luck for the future and for your new project.

All the best,

Frank.

Someone will have had their eye on it, may have even thought it was abandoned being left there day and night. It will be well stripped and sold for spares by now.

Archived