501 4mm kits

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,  I'm more a LT modeller and thinking of doing a simplified version of Queens Park in the late 70's or early 80's.  I have several sets of EFE 38 tube stock but need a set of 501 stock.

Does anyone do a good kit for the 501 which doesn't need masses of work to make a decent model?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave for the info.  I looked on DC Kits website and the 501 kit looked okay but does anyone have any experience of building their kits?

Julian Sprott

Thanks Dave for the info.  I looked on DC Kits website and the 501 kit looked okay but does anyone have any experience of building their kits?

Julian Sprott

I've got a half built DC kits one (hold up is due to time constraints). It's all pretty straightforward. When I resume I may look at combining the DC kits components with Bachmann 57' suburbans to save time.   

• 2 weeks later...

Have built several DC kits, EPBs and DEMUs, a 501 is essentially a short bodied EPB. They go together nicely, using butanone as the solvent. The sides come in sctions and I find it useful to use strips of 5thou plasticard as a reinforcement behind the joints. I also build them with roof and sides to be one element with a removable chassis. There is a description in the instructions. It takes care and some time but I find the results are very acceptable.

John

I have built 2 DC Kits 501 too. i found that the plastic for the chassis was distorted for the first one so I used Bachmann 57ft under frames that fit the bodies well The 2nd DC kits unit I build i converted into a MerseyRail Departmental EMU and powered with a cut down twin motored Replica MLV and it is amazing as it will pull 12 coaches at speed without hesitation.  

Underframe details are all hacked Repliva bits and jumpers front end jumpers are from a variant of sources

post-9506-0-95088200-1399304458.jpg post-9506-0-30938800-1399304513.jpg

XF

Archived