Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

Introduce yourselves!

Thanks for un-lurking, there are a few others (as you see) that aren't too far from you so you may well be able to get the help and inspiration that you require for that "push" into cutting your first wood and laying that first length of track...

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Worthing had a "Pierhead Model Railway" for a few years in the southern pavilion at the "wet" end of the pier.  Quite a decent size it was too though IIRC it was largely European themed steam and didn't do quite as much for me as it did for others.  Its claim to fame was a world record endurance attempt with one of their locos; a good friend of mine was one of the operators but neither of us can recall whether the attempt was successful.  We also don't know the fate of the railway and its rolling stock.  It was closed after a couple of years with poor attendance one of the reasons given.  At the time it was necessary to pay to access the pier and again to enter the railway which was a little off-putting.  

I spent the summer of 1974 running that layout (there was a sister one on one of the Brighton piers which I also spent some time on). Both were owned by the same chap.  I learnt a lot about how to repair the various continental locos to keep it running. I don't remember the record attempt.

Anyway, I'm an active member of the Epsom & Ewell Club working on their Hinksey Yard layout.  Other interests include LB&SCR in P4 (West Wittering) (as well as in O and 2mm) and a bit of Swiss in Z gauge.

I also (semi) maintain the LB&SCR web-site.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Joining in seems like a logical step after reading through the forum...

My name is Nestor, I live in Brighton and like to think I play something of an active role in my local club.

Personally, I model the Southern (railway at home and region at m'club) in 00, my projects are in my signature.

Nice to see we southerners now have a GROUP group. :)

Nestor

There are very few modellers who consider themselves the best they could ever be - most of us are learning all the time, trying out new techniques, finding out what doesn't work and starting again. 

Noticed on your "Sandhurst" layout thread you mention a need for trestles - your local Aldi has an offer on this week you may be interested in, https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-1st-may/product-detail/ps/p/2-piece-multi-purpose-support/

Aldi actually do some very good modelling related weekly specials, I've seen soldering stuff, power tools and suchlike there.  The only downside is limited stocks and it's only for a short period.

• RMweb Gold

I'm Dave, and I'm retired and living on the top fringes of the area in Brockley, South London.
I'm particularly interested in  the work going on to improve the railways, and am photographing various schemes as they progress, (Reading, Crossrail, Croxley, London Bridge at the moment).
I'm trying to focus my OO modelling around the last decade of Western region steam, having grown up in Oxford. I also have some Gauge 1 tinplate, which I've been meaning to run round the garden for 30 years or so...
I have far too many unfinished projects on hold, and that's not just model railways!

Thanks

Dave

• Like 3

I thought I had posted in here, but obviously not!

I'm Steve from Hove. 7mm scale modeller (<– loose term!) deciding to go either 0 gauge or S7. Currently packing and unpacking as we decide whether to move or not. At the moment everything model railway related is in a pile of boxes in the loft.

I'm a member of South Coast 0 in Worthing and I've also recently started the Little Loco Company.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Is there room for one more from just over the Western border? I'm Ian and reside in Basingstoke (don't laugh!). I don't feel western enough for the realm of SWAG where it all seems to centre on Taunton and I was born in sarf London anyway.

I have a loft layout on here 'Exford Park' and I am currently building a layout 'Tidworth' that I hope to exhibit after I got the exhibition bug from helping out with Leaford which has unfortunately retired. Both are OO gauge of the 1990 period with plenty of Class 33 and 50 action with NSE and sub-sector liveries as this is what I remember. I have made friends with several RMwebbers in the Hants/Wilts/Dorset area and we regularly meet for 'playdays' and day outs and as recently as yesterday at Swanage. I also help in a small way in keeping 50027 running on the MidHants when I get the time.

Hi Ian, with your excellent layout being set firmly in the Network South East layout I think we can stretch the borders a bit and let you in if you don't mind travelling that little bit further :) It was never meant to be "completely exclusive" to these counties but until you have enough members to set up your own group you're welcome to be part of ours.

Helping keep a 50 running (which I really must get round to visiting) is a big thumbs up from me too :)

Don't know how far you venture to shows but a few of us are having our first meetup next weekend at the Burgess Hill show - see separate thread.

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew

Just checked where Burgess Hill is and I reckon you're not much more than an hour away so its a possible but I'll have to check with the authorities! Not sure I'd want to set up my own group, I just invite people over that show an interest and that's how I have met others, although the first few were through operating Leaford.

The 50 has a running day on Sunday 8th June at the MidHants if you're interested, maybe you could make it a group day out? ;)

Not entirely sure of everyone's interests at the moment - we've only been set up a couple of weeks after all - and although I'd certainly enjoy a day behind a 50 I don't know if there's enough of us (particularly as it's quite a hike for some) to justify a 'day out'.  Plus of course the domestic authorities need to be in agreement which may or may not be possible.

• RMweb Premium

Not entirely sure of everyone's interests at the moment

Happy to discuss mine at any time.

From personal experience and daily travel my areas of interest lie in the mid 60s - mid 70s changeover from SR to BR EMU stock and the final end of steam.  It also marked the closure of a number of SR routes I managed to travel on including Castleman's Corkscrew (Bournemouth / Poole - Brockenhurst via Ringwood), Shoreham and Guildford to Christ's Hospital and the Cuckoo Line from Eridge to Polegate together with the direct line thence to Pevensey Bay.

I'm no-one's expert but managed to commute daily on Bil, Hal and 4Cor stock with regular rides on Buf and Gri units and the Brighton Belle.  I've also ridden Pul, Pan and 6Cor units on a few occasions.  I probably know a good deal more about the Central and South Western than the South Eastern.

From a modelling point of view my interests are west of Salisbury where steam gave way to diesel and where (along with the Bournemouth line) steam legends were made in the final days.  My Great Uncle was a Wadebridge driver and always considered himself a "Southern man" despite the changes of management down there.  As a result I've scored a very short cab ride in a Beattie in Wadebridge yard and watched him (though I barely recall it now, over 50 years later) handle a Bulleid light Pacific on the ACE.  

I have a currently stalled project under way to build a fictitious extension to the Seaton branch taking it on to Beer and plan to use live third rail alongside steam and diesel set in the mid 1960s.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not entirely sure of everyone's interests at the moment - we've only been set up a couple of weeks after all - and although I'd certainly enjoy a day behind a 50 I don't know if there's enough of us (particularly as it's quite a hike for some) to justify a 'day out'.  Plus of course the domestic authorities need to be in agreement which may or may not be possible.

It doesn't have to be compulsory to attend but if it be known that some are interested in coming, car sharing could be arranged between those that are perhaps? Just ideas not critique. ;)

None of our events will be "compulsory" - considering how big the area is - but you're welcome to post about the running day in a separate thread with all the relevant information to let people know - or link to another thread if it's being discussed elsewhere on the forum in a more appropriate area?

Hi Shadow, that's great, thanks - would never have thought of using Google Maps like that.  Wonder if it's worth putting in a separate thread so as not to lose it amongst all our other conversations?

Edited by cromptonnut

Hi.... the name's Jonathan (or Jon when ease is sought). Been living in Burgess Hill for about 12 years; before the 10 years in Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire and before that Hertfordshire. My railway interest began (or started again) about 7 years ago when I realised that the daily commute to Gatwick was on units my grandfather and I rode on days out to the watercressline - ok.. so they're not exactly the same, but simialr. Our proximity to the Bluebell fostered the interest in steam but nostalgia kicked in and recollections of my early days at Kings Cross (from hertofrd North) with Deltics etc overtook this... and became my primary focus. 

I'ev done a few deltic detailing/weathering projects based on the Bachmann model (the others are still not good enough to draw me into O gauge), the last one being converted to P4 to be as accurace and finescale as possible. A 47 project followed (complete) along with a 105 and some other bits on the go.

I've recently completed (yesterday) a couple of more modern image 47s to display this weekend at the BHMRC exhibition; please come along and say hi if you're there.

Other inetrests are photography (firmly a canon user), mainly railway subjects but a decent landscape shot is hard to beat - putting the two together is an aim. I enjoy drawing too - railway again... but when time permits; oh how I wish I had more time. 

Not a club person ... just struggle along on my own, but with the support of many online, either here, the S4 forum, or facebook groups. Nothing against clubs... it's just the "time" issue.

P4 is the direction I want to take... if I can get over the permanent way hurdle and work out the logistics of getting it working... the draw of ready-to-plant track and points is a temptation back to OO.

Cheers

Jon

P.S. and clearly I don't use spell checker as often as I should

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 1

Jon,

Going to try and get over to the show, which stand are you on?

Dave

Hi Dave.... cheers. Just looked (because I had no idea) and it's 24... in the gym

jon