Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

Introduce yourselves!

A "quick and dirty" calculation of the centre of our members area (excluding Temeraire at the moment, nothing personal but it does skew the figures somewhat!) it appears that the centre of our area seems to be somewhere between Tonbridge and East Grinstead.

That's rather fortunate given that it includes both the Bluebell and the Spa Valley Railway.

Looking at the distribution on the map, it may well be in time that we develop into "sub groups" - there is a clear grouping in the east, a clear group around South London and down the M23 to Crawley (sort of) and a "south coast proper" grouping.

Of course there will be times when we all want to gather for something, but if you have a look at the map and feel that you'd like to organise something that might be of interest to just a few of you rather than all of us, feel free to get on and do so - as I've stated before, just because I asked Andy York to set up the area group it doesn't mean that it's "my group".  Indeed, until such a time as we start to think about organising our own show(s) requiring insurance, bank accounts and suchlike I don't see that we even need a committee and defined roles - and we all know how easy it can be to get volunteers for that kind of thing.

Maybe a few of us want to meet up for a day at the Bluebell.  Perhaps a few want to pop along to the "South Coast O Group"   Or maybe you want to invite a couple of friends round to explain to them how DCC works (or indeed show it off).

It was good to meet a few people at the Burgess Hill show yesterday and I'm sure that, with a bit more notice, we'll start to do these a bit more regularly.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday it was a bit short notice but I'll try for the next one. Looking at the map as you say there seems to be a cluster along the M23 corridor and although there are 3 members in Kent I would say it would take them just as long to get to the Horley area as me. Even ignoring me I would say the Horley/Gatwick/Crawley area would be the ideal place to be the centre of the universe regards the group, especially considering the road links where everyone radiates from there, and the best place for a total group meet. However, there is scope for East/West/Coast sub-meets or similar interest meets in the future and I would be happy to host a group here if the numbers weren't too big! (For those interested it's around 1 hour from M23/M25 jct to my place.)

Hi Temeraire, as the old saying (sort of) goes, "you organise it, they will come".  If you would like to host a day "playing trains" at your home to a limited number of us, I'm sure there will be takers if the date fits - get a thread going :)   

I certainly have a few OO gauge DCC sound fitted items of stock that really could do with some exercise until I have an opportunity to make a suitable plank.  As always, it's lack of room that's the big problem that many of us fit.  I already have taken over the second bedroom for my O gauge layout, my modular N gauge layout is being constructed up to two boards at a time in the living room (two boards together mean I can't use the computer as it covers the desk) so unless it's a foot wide in the hallway there isn't really any room for a OO project unless one of the other projects is packed away.

Being on the third floor also means a shed in a non-existant garden isn't an option either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm Gary from Hailsham in East Sussex. I'm currently in the process of buying the last few bits before starting my layout.

I model 00 and have plans for a 009 layout at some point in the future. I have decided on modeling a fictional island somewhere of the coast of England in the late 60's to give me as much modeling license as I like (Can't imagine where I might of got that idea). I will mostly run steam although I do also have a couple of diesels (Hornby Class 06 and a Triang Class 101 DMU) and I will probably expand my diesels at some point in the future. Most of my stock is older than me but has been in my family since  it was new so will always have a home on my layout.

If I were to model something from real life it would have to be something from the Brighton to Hastings line in the late 19th or early 20th century. or possibly the Hayling Island branch in BR days as my favorite loco class is the A1(X) Terrier.

Welcome aboard Gary :)

Have you checked out the sticky posts in this forum about local model clubs?  There's a few narrow gauge groups that may peak your interest.  Love the idea of narrow gauge myself but the domestic authorities have told me I have too many layouts on the go already!

We've not been going that long so we're still gathering members - so there are no doubt others in your area that just haven't found us yet.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Yes I have checked the sticky posts. I am currently interested in joining a model club and have been told by another member who is local to me that I should look at the Newhaven group as it is the best one nearby. I will also send him a message nudging him in the direction of this group as he is very knowledgeable and used to run the Eastbourne MRC once upon a time.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Is there room for a newbie railway modeller amongst what looks to be a very experienced group, if so I would like to watch and learn as this group covers the area I live in. My name is Mike and I live in St Mary's Platt (between West Malling & Borough Green) in Kent.

I have been plastic kit modelling for a number of years but now need a bit more to get my teeth into so I am looking into building my first proper model railway on a baseboard. I have spent the last month reading and researching the topic and have decided to settle on OO gauge. 

I am aiming to move (local) and the plan is to finish up with a spare room to build a complex layout so in the meantime my plan is to build my first OO layout running via DCC on a 8 x 4 baseboard consisting mainly of track and electrics with a minimal amount of scenery.

This option will allow me to gain experience in the areas I need i.e. baseboard building, track planning, track laying and electrics.

I am planning on joining the Tonbridge MRC however I have to have a minor operation on my right foot soon which will lay me up for a while so I am waiting for that to be completed and healed before I join.

Mike  

• RMweb Gold

The term newbie is pretty loose in railway modelling as we are all always learning new skills and tricks of the trade! :)

Welcome aboard the good ship South East

Nestor

• Like 2

Hi Andrew,

I will make sure I only speak when I am spoken too and I will keep a low profile :-)

Yes I have heard the Tonbridge club is a good one as well so as soon as I have the foot operation and can drive again I will have a drive down there and take a look.

Welcome aboard :)

Newbies are fine.

It's n00bs we can't stand.  What have they ever done for us, apart from sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health...

I don't know the Tonbridge group personally but have been to their show several times and it's a jolly good one which does bode well. There are of course plenty of help areas around RMWeb but you're more than welcome to bounce your ideas off of us as well - and you may find opportunities to meet up with some of us from time to time.

An 8 x 4 board (or similar) is probably quite bulky to get around (particularly if you want to get it through a loft hatch...) so you may want to look at making it "partly portable" on 4ft x 2ft boards bolted together.  I started with a 6 x 3 twin oval straight out of a Cyril Freezer trackplan book at Christmas 1976.  Sometimes the "train set" type layout (or even a circle of setrack on the kitchen table) can actually give you far more pleasure and enjoyment than a massive finescale epic that still isn't finished after 10 years.

firstlayoutsmall.jpg

• Like 1

Your postman,is early for a Monday morning..............you got the cheque then..........

:drag:  :jester:

Hi David, thanks for dropping by.  We'll have a vote about letting you in at our next committee meeting.

Oh hang on, I am the committee at the moment.

Application successful, welcome aboard :)

Welcome David,

Any particular place in Kent. I'll add you to the Members map if you want. 

(I'm going to guess Dover by your links!)

Dave

Edit (May change that to Folkestone seeing as you are a member of that club!!)

Edited by Shadow

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning from Lovers Walk depot,

my name is Simon and after moving around with the job I now live in Newhaven, East Sussex. I grew up in Blythe Bridge on the North Staffs Stoke to Derby line which is where my interest in railways came from.

I've had train-sets since I was a kid and well remember my Dad lumbering up and down the stairs at home with my mine and my brothers train-set on a huge sheet of chipboard that was stood up against our bedroom wall when it wasn't in use, after this it progressed into the loft and then when I finally left home and had space and money I dabbled in building baseboards with legs etc.

With my move to Newhaven for the job at Lovers Walk came a house that had a fair sized spare room and permission from SWMBO that I could built a layout as long as i met certain conditions i.e replace the windows, renew the floor, decorate the room and employ a professional to build the baseboards. The end result can be seen in my signature below, time wise i dabbled with the 70s but drifted back to the 80s and Sectorisation which was when i really started taking a serious interest in my local line as well as using it to travel to my first job.

All the best

Simon

Edited by bescotbeast

Welcome aboard :)  How lucky to have a whole room to play with :) It's similar to the room I have but I model in O gauge so a lot less opportunity, and the SWMBO stipulation was that the room must still be able to be used as a bedroom for any guests - so I don't have the luxury of being able to go around all four walls, although in O gauge a 6ft minimum radius is recommended meaning I'd get not much more than a 12ft circle in the room.

There's a couple of members nearby you as well.

• RMweb Premium

Morning guys, apologies for not spotting this thread earlier.

I'm Neal, living in Hove, where I model 00 Great Western. When I first started model railways, everything was GWBLT and My interest was kindled from there. Plus as a kid, I used to watch the trains from the footbridge over the Great Western mainline at Southall.

My current layout is set on a fictional location 00 oval DCC layout called Wharncliffe Junction housed in a purpose built shed measuring some 12ft x 6ft. I've only ever modelled in 00 and have no interest in any other scale.... Although G gauge might be nice in the garden.....

All this is about to be changed as we are on the move to Chichester.

This will see Wharncliffe dismantled and replaced by an even bigger layout.... Which might be a GWR mainline terminus.... All housed inside a purpose built shed some 16ft x 8ft

Many years ago I belonged to the Western model railway club in Acton, together with membership of the Harlington locomotive society. (Live steam 5" and 3 1/2"). These days I'm a member of the GWS; WSRA; together with the Bluebell.

I consider my local model railway club to be RMWeb where there is so much advice and support at the end of the keyboard. I visit the occasional exhibition, but have never felt the urge to join any of the local clubs.

Anyway, enough from me, I need to put more stuff into boxes and move.

• Like 1

Welcome Neal, and look forward to hearing more about your new layout after the move.

Having moved myself a year ago we're still unpacking boxes... although the model stuff was well marked and all put into the "model room" as we unloaded the van :)