Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

Introduce yourselves!

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you've got a good bit of space there, will watch with interest.

Have you thought about starting a layout thread? (or have you already and I've just totally missed it...?)

Nestor

Hi everyone, For some reason I hadn't seen the area group appear so its taken me a while to do this. I'm originally from Dorset and was able to do a fair bit of walking on the SDJR track bed between Poole and Blandford in the seventies so thats where one of my main interests lie. IHave a layout in N Gauge of Sturminster Newton and did have one of Broadstone but had to trash that. I'm a member of West Sussex N Gauge Society and have a module based on Crawley Yard on the London to Brighton line.

Current projects include Shillingstone in OO and a modular layout with Claude Dreyfuss (Nick) which were able to discuss on the days I do thecommute to London Bridge. Currently residing in Billingshurst so not far to Crawley area at all.

Hi There

At Nestors recommendation, I have found the SECAG section of RM Web.

My name is Keith and I live in Loxwood, West Sussex. We have a Station Road here which was so named to commemorate the opening of Rudgwick Station, just 4 miles away on the Guildford-Horsham line. I feel sorry for you commuters in the easrlier posts. I was a night taxi driver in London until a tumour necessitated my losing a leg earlier this year so I hope to get in to railway modelling in due course. Although a general transport nut, I have always lived in Surrey & Sussex so have an equal affinity for electric and steam. I have nothing planned in the way of a model railway but I wonder if something industrial, with OHL power, would keep me amused. 

As I said in my post on the main website, I will not be a prolific poster but hope to learn much from the Group and contribute what I can.

Keith

• Like 1

There are a couple of us in the vicinity of Loxwood. I take my car to the mechanic there; a little bit out of my way, but we have used him for years...

Steve Kennard is well known in the village, although I used to do all my own servicing, including my vintage stuff. That garage, going back 70 years was the premises of Primrose Coaches, prop. Tom Edwards. Didn't last too long I believe.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I live in Billingshurst, West Sussex - so all of 5 miles from Keith!

Also a London Bridge commuter for my sins, although thankfully manage to work from home/other offices a couple of days to limit cost/exposure to Electrostars!

Currently planning a decent sized n gauge layout for the garage, based on the present day WCML. Not sure I'll be brave enough to start a layout thread, given the general standard, which I'm sure mine won't achieve...! Railways are generally a distant second to riding bikes in terms of spare time sadly, so progression from 'pipedream' to 'reality' is steady at best!

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

Welcome Nick and sorry to hear your another London Bridge commuter. Regarding starting your own thread, go for it I was nervous showing my own efforts to the general public but it's great to get comments and feedback on your work.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon, I'll see how things start off before making a decision!

I think I'm actually often on the same train as Claude_Dreyfus and GRC, which is strange!

Edited by njee20

I think I'm actually often on the same train as Claude_Dreyfus and GRC, which is strange!

Why not arrange to all sit together then you can do some modelling on the train if you get a table seat.  Remember there's a plug by the door (for the cleaner's hoover), could you take an extension lead and do some soldering...?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Be a more worthwhile use of time than playing on my phone and reading the Standard certainly! Slippery slope though, before long I'd be bringing an airbrush and compressor and doing some weathering too!

Be a more worthwhile use of time than playing on my phone and reading the Standard certainly! Slippery slope though, before long I'd be bringing an airbrush and compressor and doing some weathering too!

I've seen women doing their makeup on the train irritating others with dust and strange smells... no reason not to fight back.

After all, isn't "weathering" just make up for trains?

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting...

We take the 7:35 from Billingshurst (Carriage 4) - for me the 7:28 from Pulborough(!) - and the corresponding 17:50 back from London Bridge (Carriage 1). I'm pretty much every day - normally in the company of a loud Mexican - whilst GRC is at best a couple of times a week.

Why not arrange to all sit together then you can do some modelling on the train if you get a table seat.  Remember there's a plug by the door (for the cleaner's hoover), could you take an extension lead and do some soldering...?

Hey, why not? There's a group on the morning carriage who do their knitting, so why not break out the kits?!   :)

Claude...actually called Nick as well...

• RMweb Premium

Interesting...

We take the 7:35 from Billingshurst (Carriage 4) - for me the 7:28 from Pulborough(!) - and the corresponding 17:50 back from London Bridge (Carriage 1). I'm pretty much every day - normally in the company of a loud Mexican - whilst GRC is at best a couple of times a week.

Indeed, Michelle actually introduced us a few months ago, as you were 'another Nick'. I'll actually say hello next time I'm on the train! I'm usually only once or twice a week. If I'm not in our Horsham office I try and cycle, particularly when the weather's like this!

I thought I'd overheard you discussing railways previously, hence connecting the dots!