Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

Introduce yourselves!

Welcome Bob, I'd like to say I model 1980's blue diesels in O gauge as well but I only have the one... bet you can't guess what.

Errrrr Let me guess - Not 55/37/20/47/26/52/35 :nono:  Hang on I think I've got it !!!  :scratchhead: would it be a 33 by any chance :locomotive:

Cheers, Bob.

Hi 'Nut et al,

Two boroughs inside Andrew and modelling in 7mm. The Southern Region layout (Beaulieu) is stored in my shed and I'm working on my German layout (Höchstädt) in my garage. Also building O gauge stock for two friends' layouts (West Midlands - 1960 and South East London - 1913).

Almost completely retired (just doing Christmas post) but Community First Responding and being Lay Chair of my deanery eats into my modelling time. Member of SEGOG (South East Gauge O Guild), the South Western Circle and the European Railways' Association).

I'm happy to host an informal meeting of SECAG - maybe mid August?

Bill

• Like 3

Hi Bill

Very generous of you - it sounds like there are a couple of members in your close area, although of course we do cover a very large area (10,000 sq km).

May I suggest you start a separate thread in this section where those interested in going along can discuss the what, where and when?

Errrrr Let me guess - Not 55/37/20/47/26/52/35 :nono:  Hang on I think I've got it !!!  :scratchhead: would it be a 33 by any chance :locomotive:

Correct.

• Like 1

Hi Bill

Very generous of you - it sounds like there are a couple of members in your close area, although of course we do cover a very large area (10,000 sq km).

May I suggest you start a separate thread in this section where those interested in going along can discuss the what, where and when?

Correct.

Very nice, sounds great, whose sound decoder have you got in there.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob, it's the Howes sound in an XL decoder.  Sounds much better "in the plastic" but of course microphones on mobile phones don't pick up the sound that well, it's more designed for speech than the low rumble of a diesel engine.

I may be able to bring it along to a meet-up if there's one I can get to :)

• Like 1

BTW Monsieur de Crompton do you have a name? Otherwise I shall start to refer to you as Crompty. :sungum:

Bill, a lovely gesture and look forward to it. I may even get my moribund Roxey Terrier running. Either that or you may find a CP RDC 2 wandering amongst your German stock. :O  

• RMweb Premium

Hi chaps,

Just found this thread, I'm another from rainy Worthing!

I'm part of the Worthing MRC gang helping build the 'Loftus Road' layout, I model 4mm but all too easily distracted, with Depot layouts, AC electrics, china clay, southern 3rd rail stock and lots more in between! My real passion has always been modelling the Great Western Main Line and the direction for my next layout when I get round to it!!

Hopefully catch you guys around at a few shows!

Welcome James, am familiar with some of those layouts and desperately wish there was a Southern 377 rtr particularly in N gauge which would mean my current "under construction" layout could be rebuilt into today's era rathe than the 1980s.  I'm not sure my wallet (or wife) would agree though...

Morning, I'm Chris from Felpham (just on the outskirts of sunny Bognor Regis)...

Like James Makin, I am also part of the Worthing Club and currently working on Loftus Road. I model OO gauge BR Blue, third rail but occasionally slipping into very early sectorisation. I like the idea of a South East Coastal Group and look forward to hearing from, and meeting, like-minded southern afficionados.

• Like 1

Welcome Chris - are you the Third Man to pop up in this thread from the Worthing area I wonder...?

As we cover such a big area I'm guessing that natural "sub groups" may meet up for smaller local gatherings but occasionally bigger meets will happen where more of us can get together as the travelling is worth it.

• RMweb Premium

There's something about Worthing.  Maybe it's connected with there being nothing (until quite recently) for the under-80s to do.  40 years ago I was one of the early members of the local branch of the Southern Electric Group which after a brief sojourn in the premises of Brighton MRC then gathered monthly in the former up-side buffet on Worthing station for many years.  Despite being the "Brighton Branch" and then the "Sussex Branch" many - at times most - members reside in the Worthing area.

Worthing had a "Pierhead Model Railway" for a few years in the southern pavilion at the "wet" end of the pier.  Quite a decent size it was too though IIRC it was largely European themed steam and didn't do quite as much for me as it did for others.  Its claim to fame was a world record endurance attempt with one of their locos; a good friend of mine was one of the operators but neither of us can recall whether the attempt was successful.  We also don't know the fate of the railway and its rolling stock.  It was closed after a couple of years with poor attendance one of the reasons given.  At the time it was necessary to pay to access the pier and again to enter the railway which was a little off-putting.  

The southern pavilion has seen many uses before and since but is now, I am told, a night club offering another reason for the under-80s to venture south of the bus stops and out over the water. 

• RMweb Premium

hi all my name is john I am from Darlington but now live in Crawley

I model n gauge BR blue up to about 2000 but it keeps getting more up to date as time go's on

I am not a member of any model clubs but I am a NGS member

I am also a big fan of the band Queen and a keen photographer of trains vintage transport and wildlife

they is a link to my model railway thread below

john

The southern pavilion has seen many uses before and since but is now, I am told, a night club offering another reason for the under-80s to venture south of the bus stops and out over the water. 

Just to reassure Gwiwer, there are signs that the age demographic is slowly changing in Worthing...

The pier has been refurbished and is promoting itself as a wedding venue and there is a new secondary school to be built in the town in the next two years.

We even have members of the club under the age of fifty-five... :danced:

• Like 1

Just thought Id say Hello to one and all.

Im in Ashford (Kent) and am chairman of the Faversham MRC.

Retired early from the railways for six years now and enjoying every last second of it!

Look forward to reading more about this group.

• Like 2

Good Morning All

I'm Les from Canterbury, originally from West London (a long time ago!)

I have permanent leyout, Bishopscombe, although this is now more-or-less finished, so I find myself having to build more stuff, so I'm currently working on a large modular diarama of a London suburb, mailny to photograph my collection of kit built and detailed 1.76 busses, mostly London ones of course!

I look forward to reading more from other 'southerners', and looking into the other threads in the group.

Regards,

Les

• RMweb Gold

I'm Keith, live in Folkestone but brought up in Mottingham, South East London attending Shooters Hill GS (anybody else on here go there?). Started work with one of the big clearing banks (the sign of the eagle one) but got bored one day and joined The Chartered Bank (since merged with a name appearing on football shirts) and on August 7, 1966 set sail for Hong Kong and worked in South East Asia for the next 33 years or so finally leaving Japan on December 30, 1998 to return to the UK.

My interests are somewhat varied both gauge and countrywise. Have a G-scale layout in the garden (hopefully to be returned to life later this year), an OO/HO layout indoors, have just become a part-owner of an iconic HOm Swiss layout and am an operator (normally found in the fiddle yard) on Bill Bishop's Hochstadt O-gauge layout.

Am not a model railway club member but am a member of the Benelux Railway Society, German Railway Society, Swiss Railway Society, National Tramway Museum and Tramway & Light Railway Society...... and am Membership Secretary of the Japanese Railway Society.

Once I've got the G-Scale layout up and running again there's always to possibility of a Group running day...............

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith, welcome.

A group running day on a G scale layout sounds fun... please don't tempt me to try G scale as well!!!

Although I have seen the G scale Aristocraft 66 and was impressed by it... I just can't - I barely have room for N gauge!

I live in Sidcup, and grew up in Kent (but have lived in other places too)

One day I may get round to building the OO layout I've dreamed of, based on a sort of Tonbridge in the BR steam era.

I'm also interested in railway history.

But mainly I just lurk.:)