Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

Introduce yourselves!

Hard enough finding space on the train to sit down so I think modelling is out. Good time to catch up with the forums though and discuss our many and various railway projects as well as check out Crawley Yard :-)

Hi all, (& especially 'nut), nice idea you've got here, (no longer a G0G member myself; was known as 'fatmac').

Only just found this 'group' so thought I'd say 'hello' & put it into my 'bookmarks'.

I live in Upper Hale on the Surry/Hants border, so I just fit in. I'm trying to create a 'model railway' (again), never seem to get past track laying & playing trains, hopefully this time I'll succeed.

I have various scales/gauges, but the one that seems to be coming to a working 'layout' is an H0 American I.S.L. (Industrial Switching Layout).

I have always been drawn to the larger scales, & have a motley collection of 0 Gauge, a Gauge 1 loco (class 04) & some lengths of track, & some old Hornby 0 tinplate.

Not only that, but I also like 16mmNG & G scale.

• RMweb Premium

Hard enough finding space on the train to sit down so I think modelling is out. Good time to catch up with the forums though and discuss our many and various railway projects as well as check out Crawley Yard :-)

Indeed, I always sneak a look to see if there's anything interesting there! Not convinced by the rake of DBS red HKAs that were there a couple of weeks ago!

Welcome switcher 1 / fatmac :)  Good to see you over here, I'm sure we communicated on the Guild forums before.

I don't know if you've had a look on our "members directory" sticky to see who we have around your area?

We're not the first area group - there are several - but we're getting there.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning All,

I'm Mark, currently living in Crawley Down but moving at the end of the month to Kilnwood Vale, between Crawley and Faygate.

I'm working on a couple of projects, one linked in my signature, the other still to have a thread started.

I work at Gatwick Airport fixing Mr Branson's aeroplanes for him, which I have done for 20 years minus three days.

Not currently a member of any clubs but used to be a member of Crawley MRS, having held the positions of Deputy Chairman for a few years and Exhibition Manager for a couple of years. I was also group leader for the N Gauge "West Tilgate" layout.

I am a member of the N Gauge Society, 2mm Scale Association and MERG.

My interests are focused in two areas: WCML operations from c2003 onwards and BR Southern, although I do fancy a nice BR Blue period layout at some point.

I also have a bit of T scale stuff to build a small working diorama when time permits, perhaps something like Dawlish with a couple of Blue/Grey HSTs trundling around?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Cromptonnut,

Thanks for feeding Flight Radar, we use that in the afternoon to monitor VS Heathrow arrivals for any potential diversions to Gatwick. The fewer potential diversions, the fewer the number of staff to stay to the bitter end when there is no work to do!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for feeding Flight Radar, we use that in the afternoon to monitor VS Heathrow arrivals for any potential diversions to Gatwick. The fewer potential diversions, the fewer the number of staff to stay to the bitter end when there is no work to do!

It's not always good stuff though, I (along with many others it seems, according to Facebook) followed this happening this evening until it disappeared off the radar off the coast of Jamaica.

It's not always good stuff though, I (along with many others it seems, according to Facebook) followed this happening this evening until it disappeared off the radar off the coast of Jamaica.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that machines are never 100% reliable and sadly, when things are particularly bad, can lead to the loss of life. That is one thing larger aeroplanes have over the smaller stuff is that there is more room to build in redundancies to the point where a major issue for a small aircraft becomes a minor issue for a large aircraft.

It's always humbling to hear of these accidents and for people in similar job roles, and is always the forefront of consideration when working aircraft. I have had days where I have been involved in every departure from LGW for Virgin, which equates to roughly 2600 passengers and about 140 crew - figures like that keep you focused.

The sad thing about the incident you saw on Flight Radar is the lack of following rule one of airmanship; basically Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. It is something that is taught almost from day one even for a PPL which simply translates to:

1) Fly the plane. If you don't do that the rest is pointless.

2) Know where you are. Once 1 is sorted then you should already know where you are but if not figure it out. Then you can work out how to get to a good bit of ground to stick the plane on.

3) Talk to ATC. They're there to help, nothing more. Once 1 & 2 are sorted then talk to ATC if you have time. If not they should be getting everyone else out of your way anyway.

If they had lost cabin pressure they should have just descended regardless of ATC - rule 1. Loss of cabin pressure is probably the only time where altitude is not on your side.

Mark