Scratch building a steam tram?!

Hi there anyone :) im really after one of the Y6 steam trams??! Now i knw theres a couple of kits out there, Connnissuer/Silverfox, but im nt sure on the simplicity of building one of them?? Rtr is at £75 frm Silverfox, bt then i got thinking?? How easy wud it b to scratchbuild one?? I knw these have been done before, bt i cnt find owt on ere relevant??! So i was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to start, experience off doing this, any tutorials relevant, advice :) wud b gratefully recieved if any1 can help! Cheers

The Silverfox one used to be available as a basic raw moulding for just over £40 which is actually quite a good price. If it's not listed as such nowadays then might be worth emailing John Hazelton at Silverfox to see if they could still do you a body only. I think DC Kits also used to stock this as a shell.

Just for the record, the Connoisseur Models kit that you showed an interest in on another thread is actually an 0 gauge model.  There was a 4mm version of this available many years ago, under the Pocket Money Kits banner, but, apart from a fairly recent re-run for Scalefour Society members, you could only get one on the second-hand market, at a price.  It is an etched brass kit and much more difficult to build than the Silverfox one.  Although the CM kits are very well designed, they were intended for 0 gauge intiially and the 4mm verison is, I understand, a straight reduction, making for some fiddly bits, and probably not one for the beginner.  There have been other kits for the GER locos, from K's and D&S, both I think mainly white-metal for the body, but the D&S kit has a good proportion of etched brass, making it more complicated, and also very popular on certain auction websites, where they go for a lot of money.  The K's kit is much simpler, but has been out of production for a long time, and again you would have to look on eBay (or similar) for one.

There have been articles covering building one from scratch, but I cannot recall where or when.  The task is much simpler than a traditional loco, in as much as the bodywork bears more than a passing resemblance to a goods brake van, and the trickier bits of loco construction such as boiler and rods etc. are hidden or hard to see, so a guide to making a brake van would provide you with most of the material you might need. 

There are potential RTR versions from the various Thomas ranges, although whether they suit your scale is another matter entirely.

Didnt David Voice scratch build one and discribe it in one of his books?

London's Tramways: their history & how to model them, published by PSL.  p19 - 27, has a scratch building guide for a North London Tramways' Merryweather.

Only mention of a Y6 I could find is the Keyser model (K's kits) from How to go Tram & Tramway Modelling on p13.

Eric

The Silverfox one used to be available as a basic raw moulding for just over £40 which is actually quite a good price. If it's not listed as such nowadays then might be worth emailing John Hazelton at Silverfox to see if they could still do you a body only. I think DC Kits also used to stock this as a shell.

Hiya, thanx for replying :) yeh ive been in contact with John talking about the ready to run version. The kit is stil available to purchase, but wasnt overly sure on the complicity of it? And if i cud get it to look any gud??!! I'll check out DC kits :) thanx a lot

Didnt David Voice scratch build one and discribe it in one of his books?

Hiya. Im not sure lol wil b useful to find out tho! Cheers

Just for the record, the Connoisseur Models kit that you showed an interest in on another thread is actually an 0 gauge model. There was a 4mm version of this available many years ago, under the Pocket Money Kits banner, but, apart from a fairly recent re-run for Scalefour Society members, you could only get one on the second-hand market, at a price. It is an etched brass kit and much more difficult to build than the Silverfox one. Although the CM kits are very well designed, they were intended for 0 gauge intiially and the 4mm verison is, I understand, a straight reduction, making for some fiddly bits, and probably not one for the beginner. There have been other kits for the GER locos, from K's and D&S, both I think mainly white-metal for the body, but the D&S kit has a good proportion of etched brass, making it more complicated, and also very popular on certain auction websites, where they go for a lot of money. The K's kit is much simpler, but has been out of production for a long time, and again you would have to look on eBay (or similar) for one.

There have been articles covering building one from scratch, but I cannot recall where or when. The task is much simpler than a traditional loco, in as much as the bodywork bears more than a passing resemblance to a goods brake van, and the trickier bits of loco construction such as boiler and rods etc. are hidden or hard to see, so a guide to making a brake van would provide you with most of the material you might need.

There are potential RTR versions from the various Thomas ranges, although whether they suit your scale is another matter entirely.

Hi there, thank u for ur reply :) u knw ur stuff!!! I wud most def b stayin away frm any sort of ful brass kits! Not my expertise at all!!!! I didnt knw it was a scaled down 0 gauge kit either?!

Now this brake van conversion is the way i was intending of goin! Ive been looking into this, sizing up items of stock that i hav! But, wot motor wud go best undr a brake van? Which wud b the best van body to use?? Is there a tram detailing kit available to add to a brake van body to aid in realism??? Lots of questions lol :)

I can confirm that  David Voice used the old Ks kit and it was a long time ago when they were current!. If I remember rightly there was some doubt if it was a Y6 or a J70. Since then of course there have been a number of kits of Street Steam Tramway Locos which are of course much smaller. I would question if this is the right forum for a query about Y6s and J70s  which are really enclosed railway locos, outwith what most Tram people deal with?.  

London's Tramways: their history & how to model them, published by PSL.  p19 - 27, has a scratch building guide for a North London Tramways' Merryweather.

Only mention of a Y6 I could find is the Keyser model (K's kits) from How to go Tram & Tramway Modelling on p13.

Eric

Thats it thanks I remember now. Steve

The following list of references, whilst not exhaustive, may be of assistance to anyone wishing to build a GER tramway locomotive.

"Light Railway Vehicles" - P.R.Wickham, Railway Modeller, Aug 1954, pp.178-179.

"Toby" - Rev Wilbert Awdry, Railway Modeller, July 1961, pp.161-163.

"Tram Engine and Coach on a Budget" - C.T.Hyde, Model Railway News, May 1971, pp.196-197.

"The Wisbech Trams" - Iain Rice, Model Railways, (i) Feb 1984, pp.82-85, (ii) Mar 1984, pp.162-165.

"Tram loco in O Gauge" - Malcolm Carlson, Scale Model Trains, April 1987, pp.217-218.

"Loco Focus: GER/LNER Tram Engines" - Eric Sawford, Scale Model Trains, April 1987, p.219.

"Tram Engine for EM" - Colin Wilson, Scale Model Trains, May 1989, pp.250-251.

"Modelling the J70" - Scale Model Trains, Feb 1990, pp.158-159.

"Trams in Skirts" - Model Rail, Sep 2003, pp.18-24.

"Wisbech Wonders" - Model Rail Sep 2003, p.25.

Christopher Payne

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've always felt that the Y6 and J70 tram bodies could be built nicely using sale timber. 7mm would be more of a practical proposition for my big fingers (have up on HO/OO scale years ago - too fiddly for me). I believe that Rev. Awdry built his in thin wood or card and it turned out quite nicely for his purposes!

I may pluck up the courage to cut the first plastic in my efforts to build a 7mm one this very afternoon! Don't hold your breath for updates though, in case it doesn't get very far. I've got a friend who buys up old OO gauge stuff on the lookout for something suitable to adapt to make it go!

..... I believe that Rev. Awdry built his in thin wood or card and it turned out quite nicely for his purposes!

Correct. In his RM article ("Toby", Railway Modeller, July 1961, pp.161-163) Wilbert Awdry describes the construction of the skirts and cow catchers in metal. Of the bodywork he says this.

"I used odd bits of 1mm plywood, but shellacked card would do as well."

CP

• 1 month later...

bit of a late addition; but made mine out of card, plasticard chassis, but would use card now.

wheels are cheap wagon wheels, motor is Hornby smokey joe butchered, because I had one. amazingly, it all works. it shouldn't, but it does :)

don't have construction pics, but have these:

also have the drawing I worked from and printed to give  layers to add detail, if anyone wants

cheers

andy

post-11344-0-84729100-1438727790.jpg

post-11344-0-10549700-1438727896.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

get some wagon wheels, abuse an old Hornby mech and go for it.... having seen your other work I suspect it will be excellent. your "small broad and pointless" was part of what got me into this mess :)

and having read an article pointing out that continental TT gauge on 16.5 track is close enough for government work to 7'... I might have a go at a "Smaller broad and pointless" sometime to mollify my GWR stricken ol' Dad

Archived