Southern Roller Blind Etches

dale159

• RMweb Premium

To anyone who models Southern region during the BR years

I have been in discussion with Pete Harvey regarding producing an etch for Southern region items with roller blinds on the cab ends, such as class 33s, 73s and EMUs, in order to help with the fitting of working lights.

I had previously experimented using a piece of tracing paper with black marker pen to replicate the centre window of a class 33 as seen here

post-11362-0-45999300-1398427650_thumb.jpg

This 33 has been fitted with an Express Models lighting kit as many of you that have Heljan 33s would say that the factory fitted lighting isn't all that brilliant

And with a class 73 having painted the inside of the window as seen here, I used Tamiya masking tape to cover the holes, It is important to note that I have replaced the glazing in this 73 with Southeastern Flushglazing

post-11362-0-87594200-1398427660_thumb.jpg

Of course what was Lima's and is now Hornby's 73 never had factory fitted lighting.

As can be seen in both pictures neither effect gives a crisp finish that truly replicate the roller blind effect of these type of loco, so I thought Pete might be able to help out, the problem is that the quote from Pete is a tad pricey for the 8 or so locos I would require them for.

The etch would be intended to fit behind the central window and used in conjunction with a piece of tracing paper to give the effect of the blinds and of course a lighting kit, which would need to be purchased separately.

I order to ease the cost slightly I suggested that I gauge interest from other modellers, so if anyone would be interested in such an etch for your 33, 73 or Mk1 based EMU* please express it here.

*I am also slowly building a 4TC using cast cab ends from MJT.

Any further questions please ask.

Dale

Archived